Penny Dreadful Season 3; You Can Either Watch it or Pay to Have Your Teeth Fixed [spoilers]

HexMachina

5 hours ago, Castel said:

I think one underestimates Dorian at his own peril. What has happened is that a favored diversion of his is not paying off. Where we go from there? Who knows. 

But someone like Justine especially has no idea what she's dealing with and should be careful.

But who cares though. I mean, Dorian, insofar as characterization, is little more than a fop who is suffering from ennui and is essentially immortal. And, in regard to narrative consequence, what has he done since we've met him? Had a little tryst with Vanessa, and hooked up with Lily. 

He's arm candy.

To my mind the series would've been better served in terms of composition if John Clare had dealt with Victor, thus sparing me the Dorian-Lily-Victor whateveritis. Lily [last season?] at least was kind of interesting when she'd intimated that her reanimation by Victor had permitted something a bit older and darker a physical gateway into the world of the living, but that little speech hasn't been borne out and is somewhat belied by John Clare anyway. 

They've could've brought Hyde in as a replacement for whatever function Victor fulfilled in society-- whatever that is. 

Anyway, I'm griping. The positives of the show far outweigh the negatives.      

7 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

But who cares though. I mean, Dorian, insofar as characterization, is little more than a fop who is suffering from ennui and is essentially immortal. And, in regard to narrative consequence, what has he done since we've met him? Had a little tryst with Vanessa, and hooked up with Lily. 

He's arm candy.

To my mind the series would've been better served in terms of composition if John Clare had dealt with Victor, thus sparing me the Dorian-Lily-Victor whateveritis. Lily [last season?] at least was kind of interesting when she'd intimated that her reanimation by Victor had permitted something a bit older and darker a physical gateway into the world of the living, but that little speech hasn't been borne out and is somewhat belied by John Clare anyway. 

They've could've brought Hyde in as a replacement for whatever function Victor fulfilled in society-- whatever that is. 

Anyway, I'm griping. The positives of the show far outweigh the negatives.      

That's fair. Victor is the weakest of the remixed characters. He gets by off being bored by implication. 

He is probably the most likely of them to die at this point (though, I could live without John Clare), if so, I feel like he should go out with a bang. I think he's implied to be older and and more malevolent on the show, having him ganked by Justine or whatever she puts in motion would be silly. 

For that matter, it's not like Lily has done something so amazing in terms of actually being a malevolent immortal force.She has the more dynamic character  but, as with a lot of direct conflicts on this show, you never know how things will go down until he does.

Honestly, Frakenstein has been more interesting as  a way of introducing Jekyll than anything in his journey so far. Apparently his is a nine episode season, so I have no idea where they're going with him. Maybe they're waiting for everyone to come together.

6 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Lilly's dialogue about remembering every man who ever "used" her... of course, Dorian is among those who have "paid for" Brona...

I wouldn't think that a gunshot would kill Hecate

A gunshot killed her sisters in 2/10 though.

Dorian finally had his eyes opened last episode. He was living in a dream world where he was protected by his status as Lily's equal because they are both Immortals. He rather foolishly disregarded the fact that he was guilty of the very crimes Lily was so set on punishing men for (Angelique anybody? This had been bothering me all season, so I am pleased it wasn't ignored) but Justine, being as fiery as she is, opened his eyes to thee truth. Based on vthe promos and leaked pics for the next episode:

As I suspected, he turns to Victor and co-ordinates with him to kidnap Lily and dose her with the serum. I would guess next episode for them ends with her being dragged into the carriage.

As for Dorian, i suspect the prostitutes now living in his mansion have numbered days once Lily is gone. Especially Justine. 

One other thing that has been bothering me this season is that every time Vanessa says "I am alone" or "They left" or some variation thereof...I just keep thinking, but what about Victor? You both developed a close bond last season, why have you just forgot about him? 

Also, a leaked pic from next episode shows

John Clare speaking with Vanessa 

:stunned::D Looking forward to that, wonder if she brings up the orderly thing...

More Vanessa and Catriona scenes would be great 

ETA; been reading around a bit, looked at a few articles. And surprisingly, Lily's arc and Piper's performance actually seem generally well received. That was rather a surprise considering our little fandom here, even if I've personally enjoyed the arc (even if I think it's had to move too slowly). 

Reading these articles also reminded me of Jared shooting he Marshall and Ethan just sitting carving his steak while staring at pops which was rather hilarious.

Archived