Penny Dreadful Season 3; You Can Either Watch it or Pay to Have Your Teeth Fixed [spoilers]

HexMachina

8 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I thought it was excellent, but will wait until after the premiere to explain why.

I liked it as well, but I can see why some might think it was a little cheesy. My favorite scene was probably

Vanessa and Sweet

I hope they announce a Season 4 renewal soon. 

Spoiler

Are you referring to the "I am Dracula" line?  Yeah, I thought that unnecessary since the reveal that Seward's young assistant is Renfield.

Regarding Dr. Sweet

Spoiler

Is he Lucifer or Dracula?  'Cause he's got to be one of those two.  "Love triangle" they said.  Ha! 

On 4/28/2016 at 6:04 AM, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I really hope this Ethan storyline doesn't drag out too long

On 4/28/2016 at 11:16 PM, Astromech said:

I'm wondering how many episodes will feature the cast dispersed before they reunite in London.

According to the zap2it episode guide:

Spoiler

Ethan is still in the US in episode 5 (title: This World Is Our Hell):

S03, E05 (First Aired: May 29, 2016)

While in the harsh desert wasteland, Hecate and Ethan struggle to survive.

A good premiere. The CGI seemed a bit off in some scenes, though. Also,

what was up with the sped up fight scene with Murray and Wes Studi?

But what I liked the most was all the Vanessa parts. I also liked Dr. Jekyll's introduction.

Another scene with mixed feelings was the ending

I actually liked the Renfield reveal, but I didn't care for Dracula announcing his name to the guy. I would have liked it if the good guys would have discovered and revealed his name to us through some pain-staking research.

I opened your first spoiler but want to avoid reading about this ending. But regarding the first spoiler, the version released is edited I think, to make it r-14 or something. Possibly the scene may be different in the actual premiere

I watched the first episode, it was good and pretty much what I expected it to be.

Spoiler

I liked the wild west bits the most. As a western fan there's something great about men in cowboy hats gunning down two train carts full of people.

I also liked Wes Studi and I look forward to seeing more of him and his partnership with Sir Malcolm

I wasn't very fond of the final scene. It felt a little bit overindulgent and that Dracula line was cheesy as hell.

4 hours ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

I watched the first episode, it was good and pretty much what I expected it to be.

Hide contents

I liked the wild west bits the most. As a western fan there's something great about men in cowboy hats gunning down two train carts full of people.

I also liked Wes Studi and I look forward to seeing more of him and his partnership with Sir Malcolm

I wasn't very fond of the final scene. It felt a little bit overindulgent and that Dracula line was cheesy as hell.

I thought the ending was really cheesy as well.

11 hours ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

Hide contents

Mostly agree with it all. 

Spoiler

I didn't know how I would feel about the Ethan storyline but the western setting is gonna be a welcome addition. It also doesn't hurt that I like the genre anyways.

A pretty good first episode that sets things up nicely. I was hoping to see some Lily-Dorian depravity but I can wait. Also agree with everyone and feel they shouldn't have had Dracula announce himself, it was kinda cringeworthy. 

Fifteen minutes in and I am so happy to be back in the PD universe.  After Episode 2 of Game of Thrones and all that THAT contained, this is tuning into an excellent night.

Resisted looking up specific spoilers so far. Very nearly read a recap review but stopped myself. *sigh* not feeling this wait for the episode in the UK.

Anyway, there is a video on Showtime's YouTube feed giving another sneak peek of the season ahead. Watched it and now know who has the "You think you know sin? I wrote the bloody book!" Line from one of the trailers. 

it's Dorian, to Justine I think

Some other videos up too, including one on Eva Green's stylist team, which was very interesting. I did enjoy their production videos last year too (blood ball, making the marionette, Werewolf make up etc)

Another 17 hours of spoiler avoidance...

I found the marionette video quite interesting, but still find Ethan's werewolf makeup quite disappointing.

I do like the Marquis de Sade references with Justine. The Dorian/Lily arc may be the most guiltily entertaining this season.

On 28 April 2016 at 9:32 PM, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I liked it as well, but I can see why some might think it was a little cheesy. My favorite scene was probably

Reveal hidden contents

Vanessa and Sweet

I hope they announce a Season 4 renewal soon. 

Here is what Chris King had to say on season 4

Oh, that was so very good. I loved everything. And can I just start by saying how gorgeous and expensive this show looks? 

So, incoming fangirlism, spoiler tagged to make skipping past easier

The opening was very powerful for me and was an all to accurate depiction of a sever case of depression, right down to Vanessa's hand-scratching. I remember being in hospital and group meetings there were so many who would sit scratching their hands like that as a means of self-punishment. This scene really resonated with me.

Ferdinand and Vanessa at the beginning was very good, loved Lyle's characteristic light-hearted was and quips in the face of a serious problem. And plus points for more hair related dialogue. "You might want to fix your hair." Vanessa's half-smile when he said that was heartbreaking.

Glad Inspector Rusk is back, and assume he will be reappearing to pursue Ethan. Hecate too, I think Sarah Greene is a very promising actress so look forward to seeing her in more substantial scenes. Not much else to say there, very much just an intro to Ethan's story.

Sir Malcom and Kaetnaey in Africa was very good, brutal fight scene, thought it was well shot and acting was very strong, as one would expect from Wes Studi and Timmothy Dalton. Also, calling it now - Sir Malcom will die. That is his fate, to die fighting the nightly horrors. Probably this season IMO. Oh, also, Sembene :crying: So much for all of the Mummified Sembene talk :( 

John Clare's scene was brilliant too, and I loved that he is remember his past life. Look forward to seeing where he ends up this season. 

Frankenstein and Jekyll would have been the highlight for me, if not for Seward and Vanessa. Such great chemistry between the two actors, and I like that they've not just hand waved away that Shazad Latif is non-White in Victorian London. It seems they've written the character around the casting, which I think is a good move. As to the substance of their scene, it was very twisted really, they want to make this perfect woman, just like Victor did last season. I though maybe he had grown past that, but no, he is still very much about having this subservient woman. This ought to run very well alongside Lily's arc this season, based on what I know of it

Basically, women's suffrage done in a bloody, vengeful, toxic way

. Also think Jekyll is particularly sinister. I suspect when push comes to shove he won't kill Lily, she represents too much in terms of science for him to destroy. Also, those two were totally a couple in university. I wouldn't have been surprised at all if Jekyll had kissed him during the scene. And I'm actually being serious there.

oh, one nitpick on this scene though. "You don't know the depths of her depravity!" Um...actually Vicky, you only saw her dancin and then you shot her. You've not seen her depravity at all...

Now for the highlight - Vanessa and Dr. Seward. No words. Simply a :bowdown: for Patti LuPone and Eva Green. Utterly superb. 

Vanessa at the Natural History Museum was also very good. Loved the eccentric Dr. Sweet and felt the actor (didn't catch his name) and Eva Green had great chemistry. Nice reference to her childhood taxidermy too.

The vampire's look much creepier this season and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more of them. Much better than the Wailing Wives from season one. Renfield (very well cast btw, anger wonderful actor to add to the already stellar cast) reveal was nice, and I felt the horror element of the vampires closing in on him was very well handled. 

Final note, as ever the music was sublime. There was one piece I particularly loved but I've been typing this for too long and now I've forgotten what it was. Oh well, I'll be watching this when it repeats later in the week so I'll work it out then.

Phew, that was longer than intended. I shall eagerly await next week's episode.

37 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh, that was so very good. I loved everything. And can I just start by saying how gorgeous and expensive this show looks? 

So, incoming fangirlism, spoiler tagged to make skipping past easier

Reveal hidden contents

The opening was very powerful for me and was an all to accurate depiction of a sever case of depression, right down to Vanessa's hand-scratching. I remember being in hospital and group meetings there were so many who would sit scratching their hands like that as a means of self-punishment. This scene really resonated with me.

Ferdinand and Vanessa at the beginning was very good, loved Lyle's characteristic light-hearted was and quips in the face of a serious problem. And plus points for more hair related dialogue. "You might want to fix your hair." Vanessa's half-smile when he said that was heartbreaking.

Glad Inspector Rusk is back, and assume he will be reappearing to pursue Ethan. Hecate too, I think Sarah Greene is a very promising actress so look forward to seeing her in more substantial scenes. Not much else to say there, very much just an intro to Ethan's story.

Sir Malcom and Kaetnaey in Africa was very good, brutal fight scene, thought it was well shot and acting was very strong, as one would expect from Wes Studi and Timmothy Dalton. Also, calling it now - Sir Malcom will die. That is his fate, to die fighting the nightly horrors. Probably this season IMO. Oh, also, Sembene :crying: So much for all of the Mummified Sembene talk :( 

John Clare's scene was brilliant too, and I loved that he is remember his past life. Look forward to seeing where he ends up this season. 

Frankenstein and Jekyll would have been the highlight for me, if not for Seward and Vanessa. Such great chemistry between the two actors, and I like that they've not just hand waved away that Shazad Latif is non-White in Victorian London. It seems they've written the character around the casting, which I think is a good move. As to the substance of their scene, it was very twisted really, they want to make this perfect woman, just like Victor did last season. I though maybe he had grown past that, but no, he is still very much about having this subservient woman. This ought to run very well alongside Lily's arc this season, based on what I know of it

Reveal hidden contents

Basically, women's suffrage done in a bloody, vengeful, toxic way

. Also think Jekyll is particularly sinister. I suspect when push comes to shove he won't kill Lily, she represents too much in terms of science for him to destroy. Also, those two were totally a couple in university. I wouldn't have been surprised at all if Jekyll had kissed him during the scene. And I'm actually being serious there.

oh, one nitpick on this scene though. "You don't know the depths of her depravity!" Um...actually Vicky, you only saw her dancin and then you shot her. You've not seen her depravity at all...

Now for the highlight - Vanessa and Dr. Seward. No words. Simply a :bowdown: for Patti LuPone and Eva Green. Utterly superb. 

Vanessa at the Natural History Museum was also very good. Loved the eccentric Dr. Sweet and felt the actor (didn't catch his name) and Eva Green had great chemistry. Nice reference to her childhood taxidermy too.

The vampire's look much creepier this season and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more of them. Much better than the Wailing Wives from season one. Renfield (very well cast btw, anger wonderful actor to add to the already stellar cast) reveal was nice, and I felt the horror element of the vampires closing in on him was very well handled. 

Final note, as ever the music was sublime. There was one piece I particularly loved but I've been typing this for too long and now I've forgotten what it was. Oh well, I'll be watching this when it repeats later in the week so I'll work it out then.

Phew, that was longer than intended. I shall eagerly await next week's episode.

Iguess i'm misremembering 'cause I thought Renfield was in season 1 and died already. So who was that guy they held captive and got killed by a shard of glass in S1?

6 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Hide contents

Iguess i'm misremembering 'cause I thought Renfield was in season 1 and died already. So who was that guy they held captive and got killed by a shard of glass in S1?

Fenton, a Penny Dreadful original character I guess. Also

they seem to be going a different route with Renfield than the Bram Stoker version. That Renfield was more like Fenton, a human who basically worshipped Dracula and had vampiric tendencies, drinking blood from animals and so on. This Renfield looks like he is actually going to have become a vampire and is enslaved to Dracula, rather than enamoured of him

As an aside, has anyone read the prequel comics yet? Or planning to, since I think it's 5th May they come out

24 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Fenton, a Penny Dreadful original character I guess. Also

Reveal hidden contents

they seem to be going a different route with Renfield than the Bram Stoker version. That Renfield was more like Fenton, a human who basically worshipped Dracula and had vampiric tendencies, drinking blood from animals and so on. This Renfield looks like he is actually going to have become a vampire and is enslaved to Dracula, rather than enamoured of him

As an aside, has anyone read the prequel comics yet? Or planning to, since I think it's 5th May they come out

Thanks.

As for the comic, no plans yet. Probably just wait when its in graphic novel form.

Well I'm glad they didn't stretch the reveal concerning Dracula over multiple episode.

I kinda guessed that Dr. Sweet had to have a dark secret when he said no to Vanessa for the coffee. It was more like a ''no thanks I have to be somewhere else'' than a ''no I have to go to sleep, big day tomorrow''. And with the actor, I expected the character to be much more than a simple love interest for Miss Ives. 

Another good episode.

Spoiler

It was pretty obvious that Sweet was going to end up being more than he first seemed so I can't say that the reveal was very surprising. However I'm glad that they didn't draw it out.

I was a bit disappointed in the western stuff and the fact that Ethan would get loose so quickly. Plus I'm still not sure how I feel about the witch sticking around.

Dorian and Lily was proper badasses in the opening.

The highpoint of the episode I think was Frankenstein and Jekyll and the experiments the latter are conducting. Jekyll manages to be both somewhat sympathetic and at the same time fairly vile. Good job all around there.

Archived