Penny Dreadful Season 3; You Can Either Watch it or Pay to Have Your Teeth Fixed [spoilers]

HexMachina

Since the old thread was lost. :) And a first official sneak of season 3 was released tonight 

Vanessa and Dr. Seward

interesting picture. Vanessa's loss of faith looks like its going to badly shake her if thats where she ends up. Well,if nothing else it gives an opportunity for some nore phenomenal acting (see also; Closer than Sisters).

Other miscellaneous casting news;

Patti LuPone - Dr Seward, an American psychologist

Sam Barnett - described as Seward's "mysterious" secretary

Shazad Latif - Dr Henry Jekyll

Wes Studi - Kaetenay, a Native American who has a close bond with Ethan, and seemingly allies with Sir Malcom

Christian Camarago - Dr Alexander Sweet, a zoologist and potnetial new love interest for Vanessa

Jessica Barden - Justine, an acoloyte of Lily and Dorian

Brian Cox - Jared Talbot, Ethan "Chandler's" father

Do we have a premiere date?

Just sometime in 2016 at the moment. I'd hope sometime close to last year (which, as I remember, was the beginning of May in the UK, although I do remember it was later than originally planned)

I can't help but think that the Egyptian references --especially in the first season with the book of the dead-- will eventually find its way back into the story

They run throughout Season 2 as well, although less obviously/frequently. For example, Vanessa continues to be referred to as Amunet, even by Lucifer

• 3 weeks later...

Penny Dreadful makes #1 on TVLine's top drama of 2015: http://tvline.com/gallery/top-10-tv-shows-of-2015-drama-series/#!10/episode-209/

Nominations in the Satellite Awards for Drama show, and for Helen McCrory as supporting actress: http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/current-nominees/ 

eta; oh, and I do believe Josh Hartnett became a father recently. Congratulations to him!

Poor Miss Ives. She is such a wreck now I wonder why the Devil is still interested in her. She's certainly no longer capable of carrying a devil's spawn to term so he might as well move on and try to find another vessel for his seed.

Poor Miss Ives. She is such a wreck now I wonder why the Devil is still interested in her. She's certainly no longer capable of carrying a devil's spawn to term so he might as well move on and try to find another vessel for his seed.

What makes you say she couldn't carry a child to term?

And he doesn't need her to carry his child. Just accept him and be his bride.

eta: also, her being Institutionalised is not necessarily indicative of Lucifer still pursuing her. The end of last season left her in a rather vulnerable position in which it would be all too easy for her to slide into a deep depression.

Random observation: Week in/week out, this show --regardless of whether one likes this type of show or not-- has the best performances on TV.... starting with the obvious --Eva Green-- the entire regular cast doesn't have a lightweight among them.... and I think that this exact show, with lesser casting would be  laughably awful.... it takes a certain caliber actor to make these roles --and these circumstances-- become this level of entertainment.

It's really easy to make bad shows in this genre. Which --for me-- makes this an even better watch.

Random observation: Week in/week out, this show --regardless of whether one likes this type of show or not-- has the best performances on TV.... starting with the obvious --Eva Green-- the entire regular cast doesn't have a lightweight among them.... and I think that this exact show, with lesser casting would be  laughably awful.... it takes a certain caliber actor to make these roles --and these circumstances-- become this level of entertainment.

It's really easy to make bad shows in this genre. Which --for me-- makes this an even better watch.

Piper was the weak link in Season 1 (though I didn't hate her Irish accent as much as some others did) but she quickly became a favourite in S2. But I completely agree, the acting in this is really superb. 

Evelyn Poole/Madame Kali is probably on of th best examples though. Such an OTT gothic-horror villain but portrayed so well by the wonderful Helen McCrory. So much expressed in every little scene :) 

i'd make a deal with Vanessa's wanna-be hubby to take the place of the artist on that one. :devil:

Eta

Is that gonna make you pick up a comic book, H?

i'd make a deal with Vanessa's wanna-be hubby to take the place of the artist on that one. :devil:

Eta

Is that gonna make you pick up a comic book, H?

yes! it may well do :P

And I would be more than happy with you being artist, fwiw. *shameless promotion of Knight of Ashes' artist skills*

In other news, the various Penny Dreadful nominations of late:

Eva Green for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Golden Globes.

Eva Green for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Critics Choice

Helen McCrory for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, Critics Choice

Patti LuPone for Guest Actress in a Drama Series, Critics Choice

Penny Dreadful for Best Drama Series, Critics Choice

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to see this, always watch it alongside GoT.

I'm hoping its going to step up a gear this season. I feared it would be cancelled as I hear very little about it in general, and also I felt like season 2 had more weaknesses than strengths, in some ways a bit of a move in the wrong direction if you ask me. Too much filler and too many awkward lines. Plus.. naked vampires (eyeroll). Even terrifying voodoo dolls couldn't make up for it in my mind. 

Still, its got so much potential with those actors.

Looking forward to see this, always watch it alongside GoT.

I'm hoping its going to step up a gear this season. I feared it would be cancelled as I hear very little about it in general, and also I felt like season 2 had more weaknesses than strengths, in some ways a bit of a move in the wrong direction if you ask me. Too much filler and too many awkward lines. Plus.. naked vampires (eyeroll). Even terrifying voodoo dolls couldn't make up for it in my mind. 

Still, its got so much potential with those actors.

Yeah they added nudity for the sake of nudity. The hissing was horribly amatuer too.

Archived