Penny Dreadful Season 3; You Can Either Watch it or Pay to Have Your Teeth Fixed [spoilers]

HexMachina

I don't have much familiarity with any of these characters beyond some vague pop cultural references so everything feels fresh and new to me and I do find myself often surprised which isn't usual when watching tv.  

Spoiler

I gasped when Dracula was revealed.  I honestly had no idea.  I think I was too busy smiling right along with Vanessa.  I recall too well how joyful coming out of that depression haze can feel and Eva Greene made me feel that through the screen or something.  So when her zoologist friend gave his wrist to suckle, I felt genuinely upset.  

I don't feel much connection at all with Ethan's story.  It's hard for me to see the point of it or where it's going. 

I enjoy Ethan's arc, but not a  big fan of Hecate following him.

Vanessa and Dr. Seward's meetings are becoming my favorite part of season 3 so far. Her encounters with Dr. Sweet are entertaining as well.

I agree with Jeckyll being a bit unsettling. He borders on sociopathic.

Lily and Dorian were great. I love the inevitability of Lily's path and her warning Victor of it.

No Clare this episode felt a bit odd.

Yes, let's  give Vanessa hope, and then crush it!!!

I'm glad they didn't drag out that revelation too; considering Nessie's track record with men, it was no biggie surprise (btw, a lot of big bads tend to sound like Sauron and vice versa).  

So Lily and Dory are kind of like Mr. and Mrs. Smith now, huh?  Lily's man-eating mission doesn't interest me much, but I liked her scene with Victor well enough.

And I am looking forward to Ethan and Hecate roaming around the Wild West.

"Have you sinned?" Said Dr Seward.

Why yes, yes I have. I read a spoiler filled recap. Willpower = non-existent.

eta; one thing bothering me from last week. Frankenstein claims he had no one but Jekyll. We know Malcom, Vanessa and Ethan weren't available. But what of Lyle? 2/10 certainly established grounds for friendship and trust between the two, would have been nice to see it pay off. I suppose this is to do with Simon Russel Beale's schedule conflicts (he was in theatre performances during a lot of filming). Sadly I think that means episode one is all we see of him :( 

I am liking Jekyll a lot more than I thought I would

Is there any reason why they made Victor English? ... was he English in the book? .... I thought he was German or something

I also love the way they worked in Renfield....

really curious about Lilly's new "pet"

What Dorian and Lily did was admirable this episode. I could almost wish them luck in their future endeavors.

Of course the revelation was going to go that way. Vanessa just has no luck.

I wonder why the doctor was crying.

Curious about what intentions Hecate has, but I wish Ethan had done the same to her as he did to her mom. 

I wonder if the two fallen brothers are in competition. Lucifer got spanked last season, but he still has an operative doing stuff for him. But now Dracula is the lead. :P

19 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I have this notion that Dr. Seward is Lucifer.

I have nothing to back that up other than, well, Vanessa.

Dr Seward is Dr Seward.  Just as Renfeld is Renfeld.  By that i mean I doubt the characters will change all that much from what they are in Dracula; yes Dr Seward is a woman and isn't courting a Lucy but she still will end up hitting the same character beats.

I've loved the first two episodes, although the Sweet reveal was a little too easy.  i was kind of hoping with all the Nemo talk and him not being the whitest guy around that he was going to BE Captain Nemo.  Alas that's probably stepping on LoEG's toes way too much.

23 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I don't have much familiarity with any of these characters beyond some vague pop cultural references so everything feels fresh and new to me and I do find myself often surprised which isn't usual when watching tv.  

Hide contents

I gasped when Dracula was revealed.  I honestly had no idea.  I think I was too busy smiling right along with Vanessa.  I recall too well how joyful coming out of that depression haze can feel and Eva Greene made me feel that through the screen or something.  So when her zoologist friend gave his wrist to suckle, I felt genuinely upset.  

I don't feel much connection at all with Ethan's story.  It's hard for me to see the point of it or where it's going. 

I know precisely what you mean about Vanessa coming through her depression, I think the show is handling that very well indeed, and her story is resonating very strongly with me. I particularly liked that deflated, drained look she had as she left her session. I know that all too well.

I loved this episode, even having read spoilers beforehand. It was an episode that managed to be heartwarming, heartbreaking, chilling, horrific and exciting all in the space of an hour. Oh, and it was gorgeous and had beautiful music, especially Dr. Jekyll's lab in Bedlam. Tagging this for length.

The opening Dorian and Lily scene was brutal and tense, and I am very glad we didn't see any more of the actual torture and butchery of Justine than we did. It was enough to convey the horrific nature of what was going on and utter depravation of those men. Very much looking forward to Lily's arc this season. I feel so conflicted watching that scene. Those men are undeniably pieces of shit, lowest of the low. And saving poor young women is undoubtedly a noble goal. But I don't think we should cheer the way she goes about it by murdering, and encouraging the girls to become murderers themselves. This should be a very satisfyingly complex storyline. 

Oh and Dorian hasn't got a clue what he is in for. Lily truly believes in her cause, Dorian is just along for the ride, Lily being his new shiny package. He'll grow bored or disillusioned later this season, and I suspect that is when he will go to Jekyll and Victor.

Speaking of, I thought the Bedlam scenes were wonderful. The whole Bedlam set, from walking through the corridors to the lab itself, was excellently done, very atmospheric and had me shuddering a little while feeling great sympathy for the treatment of these patients who really need help. And I find Jekyll himself fascinating. There is something very sinister about him, yet I think it is born more out of cold detachment than outright malice. Though it does seem the end product of his work is infinitely less "evil" than Victor's is. I've read Jekyll and Hyde, but it was a long time ago, and I don't recall the details well at all. I might reread soon.

Vanessa and Dr. Seward, as expected, was great. Patti LuPone returning was a brilliant choice, she is outstanding when she is on screen. Her facial expression when Vanessa left the room was very well done. And of course, Eva Green stand her just work so well together. Can't really say more on that front.

kaetenay and Ethan's relationship is quite fascinating, and I'm very eager to find out more. Their stories don't seem to match up exactly, so it seems likely Kaetenay is lying to Sir Malcom a little. Or withholding the full truth. We do know Ethan slaughtered the Native Americans (was this mentioned in Season one or two?) so it's very plausible he killed Kaetenay's family. Did Kaetenay then curse Ethan to live as the Wolfman, which caused Ethan's hatred? And who did Kaetenay kill (Ethan asking if he looked into their eyes). Did Ethan perhaps have a family of his own before he left America? Lots of questions here.

I also loved Hecate's return. I really kind of love her. 

Victor Frankenstein continues to be very creepy obsessive over Lily and I can't help but hope he fails in what he is trying to do. My skin crawls whenever he and Henry talk about "domesticating" her.

Vanessa and Sweet and so, well, sweet together. I loved the way her face lit up when she saw him lecturing, and how he steered his lecture to scorpions once he saw her :wub: how lovely. And yay for bold Vanessa asking him out for Pictograms and Chill. 

And of course, then the final scene goes and breaks my heart by revealing this new ship of mine would be catastrophic if it were to happen :crying: oh, but I still want it to happen. But then, I also ship Ethan and Vanesssa. *sigh* ah, such conflict :( I do like that Dracula seems to be taking a two pronged approach, with the subtle winning over of her naturally, and the stalking minions. Presumably if the former fails, the latter will take her by force, push her into a more vulnerable state of mind where she feels open to accept him.

Last question; has Dracula always been Sweet? I mean, he clearly as this public persona, so he must be recognisable by the public. But, was Dracula always Sweet, or did he assume an existing identity just recently? I guess we will find out.

Once again, I have prattled on too long

Strong season so far. Storylines with big implications coupled with movie level production value, what's not to like.

Spoiler

Dr. Sweet's secret was telegraphed a mile away. I had a suspicion last episode, but this one showed several stuffed animals with two bared fangs in his museum. Oh, and his dialogue with the guy putting the finishing touches on the wildcat? "IT NEEDS A BIT MORE ... HMM ... NOCTURNAL DANGER." Yeah, no shit buddy, what are you trying to tell us?

Still, this show is phenomenal.

13 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Who else still loves Dr. Sweet? :( 

I'm curious as to why he can't remember Vanessa's name. Is it an act? Does he know her by another name? Does he have amnesia?

23 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Vanessa suffers, slightly, from a bit of vanity. I'd think the forgetfulness would be calculated.

Totally. And when he finally says ''i'll never forget your name again'' it plays into this nicely. 

I still really like him lol.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Who else still loves Dr. Sweet? :( 

*raises hand* it's making me feel so conflicted. I know Vanessa/Sweet would be bad news but I can't help but love them together. And then I feel even worse because I still ship her and Ethan -_-

50 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I'm curious as to why he can't remember Vanessa's name. Is it an act? Does he know her by another name? Does he have amnesia?

I think it's all just part of his way of winning her over. She is bold, so the best way forward is to allow her to make the calls, come across shy and timid. "Forgetting" her name is one part of that (I dont think he actually did forget no).

and yes, he would also know her by another name - Amunet.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

*raises hand* it's making me feel so conflicted. I know Vanessa/Sweet would be bad news but I can't help but love them together. And then I feel even worse because I still ship her and Ethan -_-

I think it's all just part of his way of winning her over. She is bold, so the best way forward is to allow her to make the calls, come across shy and timid. "Forgetting" her name is one part of that (I dont think he actually did forget no).

and yes, he would also know her by another name - Amunet.

I still ship her with Ethan but thats like an endgame thing I think but ahh i dont know. I love Ethan 

Archived