Penny Dreadful Season 3; You Can Either Watch it or Pay to Have Your Teeth Fixed [spoilers]

HexMachina

3 minutes ago, Astromech said:

So Event Series is code for shit.

Yes :D

The upcoming 24: Legacy Event Series minus Jack Bauer is a crock of shit and i thought the X-Files reboot was mediocre. The middle episodes were good, but the premeire and finale sucked. I'll reserve judgement on Prison Break. I was a big fan of its original run, but the last season was a complete mess, so I'm not very confident. Then there is Wayward Pines, which is coming back for a second season in a couple weeks, but the first season was nothing special.

6 hours ago, Astromech said:

Isn't the lead actor from Prison Break in that hilariously terrible DC Legends of Tomorrow?

What are the odds of seeing Lyle anymore this season?

Not good, Simon Russell Beale was in theatre performances during a lot of filming, and after season 2 (when he presumably knew this) he gave an interview where he said he only has a small role.

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

Damn. I loved the only scene he was in the season with Vanessa. He also adds some much need levity to the show.

Absolutely. Here is the interview if you are interested. It's at the very end that he mentions it, and he is obviously disappointed.

You are correct about the levity though. Last season had the rather wonderful light scenes, like Frankenstein and Vanessa shopping ("Undergarments" :laugh: ) and so on. This season seems much, much darker.

26 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Absolutely. Here is the interview if you are interested. It's at the very end that he mentions it, and he is obviously disappointed.

You are correct about the levity though. Last season had the rather wonderful light scenes, like Frankenstein and Vanessa shopping ("Undergarments" :laugh: ) and so on. This season seems much, much darker.

I thought that was an odd scene myself.

8 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I thought that was an odd scene myself.

Why? This is a character that thrives on exploring it's characters and their relationships. Last season we got a glimpse of the sort of brother-sister relationship that had arisen between Vanessa and Victor. I thought it was hilarious seeing Victor's awkwardness in a clothes shop when he can so calmly dissect a body and reanimate corpses

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Why? This is a character that thrives on exploring it's characters and their relationships. Last season we got a glimpse of the sort of brother-sister relationship that had arisen between Vanessa and Victor. I thought it was hilarious seeing Victor's awkwardness in a clothes shop when he can so calmly dissect a body and reanimate corpses

I see what you're saying and I didn't necessarily dislike the scene. I probably have to rewatch it, but it just felt odd to me kind of like it was from a different show. Almost sitcom like.

On 19 May 2016 at 2:12 AM, Astromech said:

Isn't the lead actor from Prison Break in that hilariously terrible DC Legends of Tomorrow?

What are the odds of seeing Lyle anymore this season?

Ok, scratch what I previously said. Some photos have appeared on TVLine labelled with episode numbers, and one of them is of Mr. Lyle, and is labelled as episode 6. It's also definitely not from the premiere, so yay! :) 

On 5/12/2016 at 11:05 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

and yes, he would also know her by another name - Amunet.

Doesn't Vanessa say during the séance that she is not Amunet, and rather something "much older"? Or was she just channeling some an older spirit?

1 hour ago, Daecon Dayne said:

Doesn't Vanessa say during the séance that she is not Amunet, and rather something "much older"? Or was she just channeling some an older spirit?

Here is the Seance scene. (It was well worth the research, I forgot how good Eva Greenwas in this scene). You are right that at one stage she says "Not Amunet...much older." But it's not clear, IMO, that this isn't some other spirit possessing her. Anyway, it's always been a bit confusing but I thought the general gist of the Devils Biography last year was that lucifer and Dracula both want to wed Vanessa so she can be Mother of Darkness and they can conquer heaven and rule together. I guess Amunet is just one embodiment of 'mother of darkness'.

on tonight episode (for you lucky souls who get it today :() there is a behind the scenes video that is quite spoilery and fair warning this episode looks like it will be pretty emotional. And it also looks like it will showcase Eva's talents more than the previous flashbacks even.

Behind the scenes: The padded cell for anyone interested. As I say, a bit spoilery so probably better waiting until after the episode. Lot of work went into it though.

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Here is the Seance scene. (It was well worth the research, I forgot how good Eva Greenwas in this scene). You are right that at one stage she says "Not Amunet...much older." But it's not clear, IMO, that this isn't some other spirit possessing her. Anyway, it's always been a bit confusing but I thought the general gist of the Devils Biography last year was that lucifer and Dracula both want to wed Vanessa so she can be Mother of Darkness and they can conquer heaven and rule together. I guess Amunet is just one embodiment of 'mother of darkness'.

Eva Green's performance in that scene is both spellbinding and spine-chilling; it's hard not to love her after witnessing her in full form like that.

You're certainly right about one thing though - trying to gain any purchase on the broader workings of the show's lore can feel like grasping at fog sometimes. I'll have to read up on the Devil's Biography again as it's not fresh to mind, but I certainly recall something about two brothers. I wonder if rather than ruling together, however, Lucifer and Dracula might be engaged in a contest to see which of them might win Vanessa (whatever she may be). Tomorrow can't come quick enough, though I imagine I'll only be left hungrier for more.

Such as what the hell is John Clare doing being implicated as the Master?! Tell me it's a red herring!

So there wasn't enough heartbreak for me after watching the GoT episode, I had to watch the new PD episode. 

Another great episode, though I wouldn't say it was as good as the one from last season. But really, Eva Green deserves an Emmy, and she deserves it now, dammit!!! And Rory Kinnear is soooo good, too. Last season I wasn't a Clare-Vanessa shipper, but consider me in that camp after this episode.

Slightly disappointed that we didn't see how Clare died, but I think it's safe to say it wasn't Vanessa, and perhaps not Dracula either.

And I liked that I sort of called it on the sibling rivalry. It makes sense, evil likes to be alone. Also, while plenty of others have played with the mythos we know, this show is doing it better than others, by putting Dracula on equal footing with Lucifer. Does that mean there is no connection in this universe between him and Vlad the Impaler? He did call himself the dragon, and Dracula actually means "son of the dragon".

Fantastic episode. I love these one-on-one episodes where the actors have the opportunity to really show us their acting chops. Eva and Rory were amazing and Patti was no slouch. I dug Clare's empathy. I was really hoping to get his real name this episode, though. Still this episode was not the easiest to watch.

Exceptional episode. Eva blows me away every time, so much so that I want to marry her and avoid her at the same time. And - as @Astromech has said - Rory and Patti were top-notch, too.

I must admit I was surprised to see Lucifer shy away from Dracula as he did. Though most unexpected, it was a refreshing angle on Lucifer's character as a more nebulous and fragile being. 

However, though, Dracula apparently has an advantage in the quest to espouse Vanessa by virtue of his material nature, I'm curious as to how he inspires such fear into Lucifer - who one might estimate would be somewhat impervious to Dracula, being an immaterial spirit and all. 

Colour me impressed; this show has managed the feat of painting Lucifer almost as a lesser evil, by merit of Rory's acting and some truly accomplished writing. 

Far better than a blood orgy :D

1 hour ago, Daecon Dayne said:

Exceptional episode. Eva blows me away every time, so much so that I want to marry her and avoid her at the same time. And - as @Astromech has said - Rory and Patti were top-notch, too.

I must admit I was surprised to see Lucifer shy away from Dracula as he did. Though most unexpected, it was a refreshing angle on Lucifer's character as a more nebulous and fragile being. 

However, though, Dracula apparently has an advantage in the quest to espouse Vanessa by virtue of his material nature, I'm curious as to how he inspires such fear into Lucifer - who one might estimate would be somewhat impervious to Dracula, being an immaterial spirit and all. 

Colour me impressed; this show has managed the feat of painting Lucifer almost as a lesser evil, by merit of Rory's acting and some truly accomplished writing. 

Far better than a blood orgy :D

I would say that Dracula holds more power on Earth, so he could maybe block Lucifer if he tried. In hell, things would be reversed, if Dracula tried to enter Lucifer's domain.

I've finally caught up on all the episodes and it is definitely going much darker this year. I'm liking pretty much all the storylines so far.  Eva absolutely killed it all of the last episode, especially when she starts chanting at the demons...just amazing. I was also surprised at seeing Lucifer cower before Dracula but I do suspect it's because of it not being his domain as mentioned above. 

Ethan's stuff is pretty intriguing and I don't mind Hecate being with him and pushing him towards darkness, but it does seem kind of forced in a way, or something.

Oh, and that blood orgy! 

Archived