This might be the worst advert I've ever seen.

polishgenius

Date rape is so Christmassy you guys!

Normally when you see this sort of thing there's always at least the plausible explanation that they genuinely didn't realise, but... well, here someone genuinely sat down and decided that condoning drink spiking is a good idea. And then lots of other people approved of it. The mind boggles.

Oh yeah this is terrible. I have seen a few half-hearted "well what if its the girl that spiked the guys drink with a bit of rum!?!?" UMMM, still spiking someones drink with ANYTHING, without their consent, whether male or female is surely MORALLY WRONG? stupid advert. I'm sure they knew what they were doing and it's a gross "any publicity is good publicity" thing

It seems to me that the only explanation for this that's even halfway charitable is the the people who came up with the ad are such alcohol lovers that they can't conceive of there being people who wouldn't find having their eggnog "spiked" to be a "pleasant surprise."

But the fact that for this ad to be published there had to be multiple idiots who were thinking this way AND who didn't think of the probability that viewers of the ad would be reminded of "date rape" drugs  is rather disturbing. 

It seems to me that the only explanation for this that's even halfway charitable is the the people who came up with the ad are such alcohol lovers that they can't conceive of there being people who wouldn't find having their eggnog "spiked" to be a "pleasant surprise." 

To be honest, if I just saw the ad in a vacuum, that's how I'd take it. Finding a bit of bourbon in my egg nog would be a pleasant surprise for me.

I do realize that's not the reaction a lot of people would have though, and I do see the problems with the ad. 

I like unspiked egg nog.  It's a holiday treat for me every year.  I love the home made stuff.

Eggnog with alcohol is not "spiked" any more than a mojito with rum is "spiked." That's just the way the drink is made. Not putting an appropriate liquor in it is just failing to make it properly. People are free to have their own preferences, and if you want to drink a "virgin eggnog" - more power to you. But it's not real eggnog. 

there just isn't a way to look at this advert that isn't creepy. ''spiking'' your mates drink with a drop of alcohol is still a pretty shitty thing to do, and that;s the most charitable way to look at this ad. 

Yup. The least charitable way does not bear thinking about.

Theda,

Egg Nog is Eggs, Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nutmeg, and general an achololic beverage of your preference.  I love it with alcohol or without.  Egg Nog has been a holiday treat for me as long as I can remember.

When I was a kid I drank a crazy amount of egg nog on the sly and got tremendously sick, so now a half-cup a year is all I can take.

oh no i'm sorry scott but that honestly sounds a bit gross hahahaha i'd try it the once but i doubt id like it - nestor is probably right and that you'd need some alcohol in it !!!! just not put in without your knowledge or consent which this advert was advocating !!!

Theda,

Egg Nog is Eggs, Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nutmeg, and general an achololic beverage of your preference.  I love it with alcohol or without.  Egg Nog has been a holiday treat for me as long as I can remember.

You forgot to mention cinnamon.

Nah, but seriously, what were they thinking ? If it was like "Give your best friend a billion dollars" or something it would've made sense. Spike their drink ?

they either a) weren't thinking or b ) they WERE thinking and decided that any publicity was good publicity because i find it very difficult that through the whole process of creating an advert and it being approved by various people that NO ONE went ''ohh...that's a bit dodgy don't you think'' 

I usually defend jokes that dare to be a bit risqué, but there's literally nothing funny here.

No set up, no punchline, no nothing. It's just "Haha! Rape!", it's absolutely revolting. What the fuck were they thinking?

Archived