Paris attacks 13-11-15

Ser Scot A Ellison

If it is ISIS I don't think anyone will make it out of the concert. It's awful and terrible to say, but... that would be their style. to just kill everyone. I am so sorry this is happening and I love and appreciate all you guys and gals on here keeping us updated. 

Quite a few people did escape at the start and then more ran out as the shooting carried on. Estimates are that there were 200-300 people in the venue before the attack (based on some Vines that were posted during the concert; the band apparently made it out safe, the fate of the Vine pic-takers isn't known). Hopefully the toll won't go up further.

In an unfolding crisis situation there will be miscommunication, rumours and malicious bullshit. Hold every report at a distance and wait for more accurate information.

Exactly. News sources are just sending info out as they get them -- and that info is frequently incorrect.

I have a number of professional contacts in Paris, and a number of friends. I have not heard one way or the other if they are safe, but I hope they are, as I hope that any BWB in Paris are also safe.

We saw Eagles of Death Metal here in DC weeks ago. I can't wrap my head around any of this. That any of the band got out is great, but just. Awful.

Anyways, from the Eagles of Death Metal Facebook page: 

We are still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew. Our thoughts are with all of the people involved in this tragic situation.

One of the reporters who made it out was right in front of the stage.  He said the gunmen walked in, unmasked, and started shooting.  people were screaming, many fell on the floor trying to get out of the way of shots.  While the gunmen stopped to reload he jumped on the stage and ran through the back exit, which is how many people escaped.

I've been following this with a sick feeling in my stomach. Someone knew I was following and asked for an update and when I went to tell him, my throat closed and tears welled up. I don't have ties in France, but I don't know how anyone could hear of this and not just have their heart break. My thoughts are with the people effected by this. directly or indirectly or only empathetically.

My father is a doctor and sometimes he has to stand by for the possibility if there is an emergency. So it might mean the hospitals have to ensure enough docters are standing-by and that the hospital is prepared if something happens in its region (more than normal)? I am just guessing. 

From a look at the map of events posted by the NYT on Facebook, it looks like the concert hall shooters may have been the restaurant shooters, since one restaurant is just north of the concert hall and the other is just south of the hall.  Looks like they walked down the street, gunning down people along the way, then went into the hall.

The Charlie Hebdo office looks like it's just down from the hall and across the street.  The post on Facebook shows the location, but it's not on the web page when you click on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/13/world/europe/paris-shooting-attacks.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

And now some international media is saying Belgium closed it borders. A few minutes ago the own national press said Belgium did not close the borders :bang: . (Okay, it is a bit artificial because the border between Belgium and France will be closes because of the decision of France. Belgium will just aid the French with the controls)

I have a number of professional contacts in Paris, and a number of friends. I have not heard one way or the other if they are safe, but I hope they are, as I hope that any BWB in Paris are also safe.

Not a current boarder, but Etrangere is safe. She just reported in on LJ.

Belgium just sealed its boarder to stop any attackers potentially escaping. Apparently the media is trying to get the total number of attackers believed involved, but the French police and authorities are refusing to say because they don't want to provide intelligence to any survivors.

Not a current boarder, but Etrangere is safe. She just reported in on LJ.

Belgium just sealed its boarder to stop any attackers potentially escaping. Apparently the media is trying to get the total number of attackers believed involved, but the French police and authorities are refusing to say because they don't want to provide intelligence to any survivors.

I just said in the post above that it is not really true. france closed its border and belgian police is going to aid the french police with the controls.

Archived