The implications of the Paris attacks

Fragile Bird

I think that Belgium should finally deal really with that place in Brussels which keeps getting connected with terrorist attacks: Molenbeek. 

1° Charlie Hebdo: weapons were probably bought in Brussels

2° Verviers (some coordinated house searches by the Belgian police over whole Belgium; some of the terrorists also came from Molenbeek; this terrorist cel was planning to attack the Belgian police over the whole country but they were stopped by the Belgian authorities)

3° Thalys: weapons were probably bought in Brussels (Molenbeek)

4° 13/11/: at this moment house searches are going on in Molenbeek, some media are saying three of the terrorists came from Belgium; they used maybe Belgian cars; ...

In one year Brussels is connected with terrorist attacks at least four times. Belgium is now as a transit country for illicit weapon trade. So I think you cannot deny there is a problem in Brussels. The question is how will you deal with it? 

Edit: maybe I am overreacting about the involvement with the Paris attack: the link between Molenbeek and the Paris attacks is based on the fact they found in the car a parking ticket originated from Molenbeek.  

Thats just nonsense. They want the same as osama wanted, that the west retreats and gives in to fear. What would their achievment be, if we would lash out? It is one thing to claim you fight against the crusaders, it is a totally different thing if you actually would turn europe into crusaders, believe me. It is the false thinking of adequating the usefullness of terrorism against colonial forces in their colonies because they could retreat to their homeland which would automatically be free from any person interested in terrorism against them. The only way for europe to make a full "retreat" would be to cleanse europe from islam.

Their stated intend is to destroy any complexity in the world, where people regardless of religion and ethnicity can share countries and diminish everything to a black and white, us versus them version. And these attacks, sacrificing a few people on your own side and let the opposition hurt themselves in blindly attacking anything that is remotely similar to ISIS (ie looking at some people in this thread any Muslim) is a brilliantly efficient way to achieve that. Look at what people want to do, violating the rights of co-citizens on mere religious grounds. Destroying whole countries out of fear for a few.

The only way out of this is not falling into this trap, and let the extremist be extremists. Isolate them, not the whole culture they sprang up from, and continue to live together as humans. No that won't stop anything on the short run, but it is the only solution that does not necessitate a (cultural) genocide.

The only way out of this is not falling into this trap, and let the extremist be extremists. Isolate them, not the whole culture they sprang up from, and continue to live together as humans. No that won't stop anything on the short run, but it is the only solution that does not necessitate a (cultural) genocide.

I certainly don't hope for anything resembling genocide, but it has become difficult for me to continue to sit here and agree with this type of reaction. Something in the water is rotten and needs to be addressed. I disagree with the right-hand extreme reaction that just says "bomb the whole area into submission", but I also disagree with the left-hand reaction that feels disturbingly like defensiveness and typically says "do nothing." 

As a first step, the US and Western allies should take the hand Russia offered them and fight together in Syria, against all extremists. It is time for Obama to finally recognize that they placed their bet on the wrong horse. 

As a first step, the US and Western allies should take the hand Russia offered them and fight together in Syria, against all extremists. It is time for Obama to finally recognize that they placed their bet on the wrong horse. 

And what exactly is that "wrong horse" to you? Democracy?

I certainly don't hope for anything resembling genocide, but it has become difficult for me to continue to sit here and agree with this type of reaction. Something in the water is rotten and needs to be addressed. I disagree with the right-hand extreme reaction that just says "bomb the whole area into submission", but I also disagree with the left-hand reaction that feels disturbingly like defensiveness and typically says "do nothing." 

When people are reacting with "take the fight to them!" it bears pointing out that this is what has already been happening. Expanding beyond ISIS, various Western nations have been intervening in Middle East political conflicts and fighting extremist groups in the Middle East for decades upon decades. And here we are today. Has it worked?

In this light, the reaction "do nothing" is better understood as "do less."

And you suggest what? Talking nicely and maybe they'll be nice too?

You're the one who needs to grow the fuck up and deal in reality here. ISIS is not going to go away unless they are sent to their graves.

Nowhere did I say anything about nukes. Don't need them. Modern weaponry has made nukes essentially obsolete.

Look, I thought Iraq was stupid and I watched my father suffer the after effects of Vietnam, another stupid and pointless war. Bit sometimes you have to get down and dirty. While ISIS remains, the whole world is at risk.

Heaven forfend you would suggest something so crude as nukes in your elaborate "kill every single human being in the region" plan! My apologies for misrepresenting!

Yes, of course we need to fucking do something about ISIS. And military action will have to be part of that. But the focus has to be on rebuilding, not destroying (and then selling off the ashes to Halliburton). Iraq failed because there was no plan beyond "go there, kick Saddam out, secure oil supplies, INSTANT DEMOCRACY, gtfo" - seemingly zero understanding of the region or how it worked, and not enough will to finish the job in a way that would last, so of course it fell prey to the nearest bunch of armed fanatics. IMO, you break it, you bought it, and we need to fucking fix this shit properly this time, no matter how long it takes. And by "fix" I mean "actually fix", it's not just a hi-larious euphemism.

Why does anybody think this will be resolved by bombing the Middle East. If ISIS is broken as a state its only way of hitting its foes will be terrorist style attacks, such as we saw in Paris. Currently it is also pumping resources into holding land in Iraq and Syria instead, while playing some role in Islamist attacks in Europe (degree of actual involvement at this time is still murky, no). Surely the point about terrorist organizations like ISIS is that bases are only an advantage, not a necessity.

Here is ISIS's statement claiming responsibility, in English trans, if anyone is interested.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/the-first-of-the-storm-translation-of-islamic-state-statement-after-paris-attacks/

Archived