Matches for acknowledged bastards

XSarellaX

What are the marriage prospects for people like Edric Storm, Jon Snow and Joy Hill? With the stigma attached to bastardy, it seems like even minor nobles wouldn't want their sons or daughters marrying a bastard (the Harry-Alayne match is a special case, or so it seems to me). At the same time, they're still nobleborn and well connected. I don't see someone like Jon Snow (if he had stayed at WF) marrying a servant... Maybe a wealthy merchant? 

The acknowledgment won't help so much as how they get set up for adulthood. A bastard son that gets granted lands would have better prospects than even a castle-raised bastard that who is just living in a relatives'  castle and serving in a guard. 

If Robert had't died then Edric would have likely been knighted at some point, and maybe given lands as well. At that point he would certainly be a better prospect than the likes of Davos or Bronn who were knighted for valour in battle but common born, but he wouldn't get much consideration beyond those that would normally consider a landed knight for their daughter - other landed knights or a slightly higher ranked family trying to marry off a spare daughter. 

I'm less certain about bastard daughters - Alayne Stone seems to have pretty good marriage but that seems to be largely a function of LF's strong political and financial position, and being beautiful is certainly helpful for her. I don't think a bastard daughter would usually rate an heir, but if she is actively favoured by her father a well-born younger son seems reasonable.

What are the marriage prospects for people like Edric Storm, Jon Snow and Joy Hill? With the stigma attached to bastardy, it seems like even minor nobles wouldn't want their sons or daughters marrying a bastard (the Harry-Alayne match is a special case, or so it seems to me). At the same time, they're still nobleborn and well connected. I don't see someone like Jon Snow (if he had stayed at WF) marrying a servant... Maybe a wealthy merchant? 

Edric Storm as the acknowledged bastard son of the King would be able to marry quite high. He is nobility on both sides of his parents and is being raised at the premier House of the Stormlands. Most likely a daughter of a Stormlord, Crownlord or Riverlord. Basically someone who is close enough to gain royal favour with the King. Henry VIII married his only bastard son to the Howards, the most prestigious and powerful family at the time. Other Kings in the middle ages arranged similar highprofile marriages for their legitimized bastards. I'd expect him to marry an only daughter of a Lord (like Tywin arranged for Tyrek)

We have already seen with Joy Hill, that Tywin has arranged for her to marry with the heir of the Crag but there was a Frey marriage line up before that. She was always going to get a good marriage to either a cousin of a powerful House or a child of a lesser house.

Jon Snow, as the bastard of the Lord of the North and a very close brother to his heir, was always going to get a good match as it seems that Jon Snow was guaranteed to play a key role for both Ned and Robb at their courts.

All three would have done far, far better than merchants.

I'm less certain about bastard daughters - Alayne Stone seems to have pretty good marriage but that seems to be largely a function of LF's strong political and financial position, and being beautiful is certainly helpful for her. I don't think a bastard daughter would usually rate an heir, but if she is actively favoured by her father a well-born younger son seems reasonable.

Don´t forget Petyr´s lack of trueborn children or other near kin (no siblings, father an upjumped foreigner). The prospect of Petyr getting some King to legitimize Alayne and make her Lady of Harrenhal and Lady Paramount of Riverlands after him is not remote.

Don´t forget Petyr´s lack of trueborn children or other near kin (no siblings, father an upjumped foreigner). The prospect of Petyr getting some King to legitimize Alayne and make her Lady of Harrenhal and Lady Paramount of Riverlands after him is not remote.

agree. Alayne is special. 

Other bastard daughters will be less lucky. 

Even in dorne, where a bastard son dare to ask princess's hand, bastard daughter like allyria only ended up with being paramour. 

I think she would not object to marry oberyn and make their daughters true born. But something did not work, possibly due to her status. 

It all depends what someone wants to achieve. For example, if someone wanted to dethrone Lannisters, marriage to Edric would be a nice opportunity. So it really all depends on the house.

As for Jon, I would say some of the Mormont daughters would be a good fit. They seem rather open regarding the bastards so they wouldn't mind.

Archived