AGOT foreshadowing Jon as the last hero?

Lady Fishbiscuit

I agree.  I think Jon's arc is most interesting as an arc of a failed hero.  Plus I'm not sure what he really adds to the story from this point on.  But then I think Dany will be Azor Ahai reborn and that she will lead the attack against the Others.  Jon's PoV could easily be just about getting the wildlings south of the Wall which he has accomplished, so I don't see how his chapters build to nothing if he dies.  They also contribute to us knowing more about the Others which is the main conflict.  But then if we do have a hero in the Night's Watch I'm hoping it will be Sam since he is more heroic of a character and it will be more of an actual twist on people's expectations, since Jon fits the hero arc a little to much.

Melisandre's interest in him isn't necessarily because he is Azor Ahai but that he would be a great ally in the coming war.  I'm also not sure I can see Melisandre performing the last kiss on him, because Jon is not a follower of the Lord of Light and Melisandre has no reason to believe the last kiss could revive anyone.  Plus Jon has been a consistent jerk to Melisandre and has rejected all of her attempts to help him, so why should she continue to aid him.

Also I don't see Jon as the Last Hero, since that story always seems to be related to Bran more than anyone else.

I agree and I hope GRRM really pulls the rug from underneath all the Jon marries Dany day dreamers out there. If he is resurrected he won't be Jon anymore. Like I said before GRRM has stated he didn't like the 2nd incarnation of Gandalf. So he'd be going against his own instinct if Jon is 'reborn' as the 'chosen one', all that crap.

All of you that are saying "Jon can't be the hero/he'll die/he'll stay in ghost because GRRM TWIST", really need to stop and realize that asoiaf is a classic fantasy story. Granted, it has a a darker coat of paint, but it's what's on the inside that counts and on inside, asoiaf is a fantasy, not a "how will the author troll us this time"-y. 

I honestly get so annoyed when people keep bringing up how GRRM will break tropes because that's what he does. At the end of the series, if GRRM does nothing but keep breaking tropes, all we'll have is a story from some author breaking classical tropes just so his story can be different from others.

Having your story follow classical tropes is not a bad thing. If the story is so well written and polished like the story GRRM is writing, then it is NOT a bad thing for Jon's arc to be a classical hero arc. Jon's entire story arc has been seeded with how he IS a hero.

I'm doing another re-read and towards the end of AGOT, I spotted this from one of Sansa's chapters...

"Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head."

Turns out in ADWD, 'some hero' (Jon Snow) does indeed throw him down and cut off his head!  This is after Littlefinger has told her there are no heroes.

Maybe Jon is the last?

Possibly just a coincidence in the wording but caught my eye nonetheless.

The connection was not intended by the author. I've yet to find the source, but this is the same SSM I was talking about before.

https://m.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/3ursze/spoilers_all_a_simple_example_why_we_may_be/

Archived