NFL 2015 Week 11: the dawn of the Age of Osweiler

DanteGabriel

Norm Hitzges is a long time sports broadcaster here in Dallas. I am linking an epic rant by him this week against Jerry Jones. It really is something to hear. I think my ears are on fire...

http://www.sportsdaydfw.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2015/11/16/longtime-dallas-broadcaster-norm-hitzges-goes-jerry-jones-cowboys-rant-look-coach-castrated

I fell the exact same way.

Norm Hitzges is a long time sports broadcaster here in Dallas. I am linking an epic rant by him this week against Jerry Jones. It really is something to hear. I think my ears are on fire...

http://www.sportsdaydfw.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2015/11/16/longtime-dallas-broadcaster-norm-hitzges-goes-jerry-jones-cowboys-rant-look-coach-castrated

Awesome, and well said. I had been wondering how Dallas fans felt about the Hardy stuff, because the "he's a leader on this team" chorus after Hardy pushed a coach on the sideline may have been a new low even for the constant embarrassments Jerry Jones foists upon fans of the Hardy Boys.

One thing I'll say about the Bengals that impressed me is that after they lost, players stood up to the media, until all the questions were asked and proclaimed the loss was their fault. Eifert, Green, Jones, they all blamed themselves. I appreciate taking responsibility for your actions and also think that's a sign of leadership. And really, if they go out against Arizona and beat them, no one will remember last night. Though between now and then, it's going to be really painful to watch/read "experts".

One thing I'll say about the Bengals that impressed me is that after they lost, players stood up to the media, until all the questions were asked and proclaimed the loss was their fault. Eifert, Green, Jones, they all blamed themselves. I appreciate taking responsibility for your actions and also think that's a sign of leadership. And really, if they go out against Arizona and beat them, no one will remember last night. Though between now and then, it's going to be really painful to watch/read "experts".

Now you know how Patriots' fans feel after a loss.

Yes, I know. first world problems and all.

Now you know how Patriots' fans feel after a loss.

Yes, I know. first world problems and all.

I don't know. I think the reaction to us losing and the Patriots losing would be two different things. In one situation, they have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. In the other situation, we have Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis and no playoff wins. Lots more leeway is given to the former than the latter.

Just wanted to add that I really dug Dalton's response to the Watt dig. Very even-handed and reasonable. I can't help but to like this kid. I truly hope the get past their first round playoff woes this season. Would love to see them in the AFC Championship at the very least.

Just wanted to add that I really dug Dalton's response to the Watt dig. Very even-handed and reasonable. I can't help but to like this kid. I truly hope the get past their first round playoff woes this season. Would love to see them in the AFC Championship at the very least.

Funny you say that. Lots of writers on twitter are ripping into him for that response. Think it was an overreaction and absolutely unnecessary and makes Dalton look a lot worse than Watt. Personally, I think it was an overreaction to some respect but he had just lost a game he should have won, was frustrated and didn't appreciate the condescending, well rehearsed comments of a winning player.

Funny you say that. Lots of writers on twitter are ripping into him for that response. Think it was an overreaction and absolutely unnecessary and makes Dalton look a lot worse than Watt. Personally, I think it was an overreaction to some respect but he had just lost a game he should have won, was frustrated and didn't appreciate the condescending, well rehearsed comments of a winning player.

I don't think he came off that way at all. He didn't look or sound frustrated. I thought his response was sincere and well thought out. It might have been better for him to just not respond at all, but I found it kind of refreshing. 

That's how ranting is done. The link wasn't working but I found another, coupled with a 'Well said' tweet from Troy Aikman, which was a little surprising.

I don't think he came off that way at all. He didn't look or sound frustrated. I thought his response was sincere and well thought out. It might have been better for him to just not respond at all, but I found it kind of refreshing. 

Oh I don't think he came off that way. Just thinking it's the reason he commented the way he did. Still, as I said, Dalton is getting infinitely more stick for it than Watt.

It's not really surprising, given that Dalton is on a front runner and Watt is on an also ran that is not likely to make the playoffs. He's under a bigger microscope for sure.

I don't know. Watt is a media darling. Houston is first in AFC South. Their defense hasn't given up a TD in 10 quarters. They could make the playoffs. Media likes Watt and zingy one liners. They expect all players to just laugh it off or talk shit back and when they don't, they get crap for it. Not a surprise but don't think it's because of the reasons you stated.

I don't know. Watt is a media darling. Houston is first in AFC South. Their defense hasn't given up a TD in 10 quarters. They could make the playoffs. Media likes Watt and zingy one liners. They expect all players to just laugh it off or talk shit back and when they don't, they get crap for it. Not a surprise but don't think it's because of the reasons you stated.

Watt is a bit of a media darling, but the Texans are sub .500. Even if they make the playoffs, they are a sacrificial lamb. Outside of Houston, I don't imagine that anyone is taking them very seriously. 

I loved that during the post-game show they put up a graphic of the AFC South standings with the words "somebody has to win it."

But yeah, I can totally, for the moment, see the Texans spring-boarding into a playoff berth.

AFC South: Somebody's got to win it.

Did Watt say anything besides the "Red Rider BB gun" crack? Because if that's all he said, I think getting huffy and talking about "integrity" and influence on kids is a little overblown. Just laugh it off and say something like "We'll see them in the playoffs, if they make it" and get on with it.

For me, it wasn't the content of what he said. It was the fact that he's on a loser-ass team and thinks he can talk shit about a winner.

It was fine until it took a "won't somebody think of the children?!?!?!?" turn. Then Dalton looked bad for me.

Speaking of which, we have a second "won't somebody think of the children?!?!?!?" story today:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article45163665.html

A Panthers fan wrote an angry, and at times crazy, letter to a local paper about the indecencies of Cam Newton's sexual dance celebration (it's not sexual at all, btw). Long story short, her daughter was asking questions about Cam's dance so the mom told her daughter to watch the cheerleaders. To maintain her morality. Awesome hypocrisy!

For me, it wasn't the content of what he said. It was the fact that he's on a loser-ass team and thinks he can talk shit about a winner.

Does it burn that Watt's loser-ass team is tied with the Colts for the division lead, and that if they had even a replacement level quarterback, they'd already have the division locked up? The Texans are a better constructed and better coached team than the Colts, but they didn't have the good fortune to tank it in 2011.

Does it burn that Watt's loser-ass team is tied with the Colts for the division lead, and that if they had even a replacement level quarterback, they'd already have the division locked up? The Texans are a better constructed and better coached team than the Colts, but they didn't have the good fortune to tank it in 2011.

No, not really. Because 'we tried hard' is pathetic, but it's not acting like you're actually good. And how many times have the Texans been down 4 scores at halftime? I'm sure that's entirely on the quarterback situation and has nothing to do with the lazy defense and... -gasp!- shitty coaching!!!

Archived