Who has the worst Governor? SPOILER IT'S NEBRASKA

Ken Stone

Well, I am pleased to report that we voted in a new Governor.  He is best known as "The guy who's not David Vitter".  This looks promising.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/11/john_bel_edwards_calls_medicai.html#incart_story_package

I thought the "patriots over prostitutes" add that Edwards ran was hilarious. Also, hello Medicaid expansion!

Oddly enough, other than abortion and guns (where Edwards has near-perfect scores from Right to Life and the NRA, as is probably necessary for a Democrat in the South), the Medicaid expansion is probably the one area where there is the least amount of difference between Edwards and Vitter. Vitter wanted to use a waiver system like Arkansas instead of a simple expansion, and he probably would've wanted some co-pays or HSA program, but he still would've done it. And the state legislature is on board with whichever, they've been repeatedly trying to expand Medicaid for years, only to be blocked by Jindal and his hopeless presidential ambitions.

Its the other stuff, like closing the state's lasting and massive budget deficit and raising the state minimum wage where Governor-elect Edwards will be the most different from the now-hypothetical-only Vitter administration.

• 1 month later...

Our dirtbag Governor is at it again. Obama, leader of the free world, is visiting Nebraska and the august Governer has decided to snub him. He is sending his Lt Governor in his place to greet Obama because "I have lived a full life never touching the hand of a negro, and I don't plan to start now*". 

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/article_7a1c8d9a-eee1-5773-810f-9cbc5115dd28.html

*this isn't an exact quote, but if you read between the lines it's pretty much what he said. I hate this guy so much.

Our dirtbag Governor is at it again. Obama, leader of the free world, is visiting Nebraska and the august Governer has decided to snub him. He is sending his Lt Governor in his place to greet Obama because "I have lived a full life never touching the hand of a negro, and I don't plan to start now*". 

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/article_7a1c8d9a-eee1-5773-810f-9cbc5115dd28.html

*this isn't an exact quote, but if you read between the lines it's pretty much what he said. I hate this guy so much.

Uhh... which lines did you read between to intuit that non-quote? Because other than the fact that this guy snubbed Obama, which I agree is totally déclassé, there is just nothing at all in that article to evidence any kind of racial animus. 

There's literally... no quotes from the Governor, not a hypothetical explanation for his motives offered by relevant sources, or even the author of the article. There is simply the observation that the Governor does not plan to greet the president at the airport or attend his speech. Which is kinda douchey, but really wtf are you talking about.

For those of you following the saga, douchebag Ricketts has shown he is not only a dirtbag, but he has no convection either. He's doing the ol' Flip Flop, and has decided to meet Obama when he lands. 

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/ricketts-will-greet-obama-after-all/article_c3d2f81c-86ca-523b-a6b9-6a37f29b0750.html

"I'm grateful to my staff who worked so hard to rearrange my schedule so that I could welcome the president to Nebraska," Ricketts said in a brief statement.

Can you believe this horseshit? Are we really supposed to believe the reason he turned down an invite to meet the President was because he just didn't have the time in his schedule? Also, when did rearranging a schedule become "hard work"? I'm pretty sure it's a matter of clicking a mouse on some buttons in Outlook.

For those of you following the saga, douchebag Ricketts has shown he is not only a dirtbag, but he has no convection either. 

Ah, if only he were an oven (or other heat distributing device), he might be more useful. :)

For those of you following the saga, douchebag Ricketts has shown he is not only a dirtbag, but he has no convection either. He's doing the ol' Flip Flop, and has decided to meet Obama when he lands. 

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/ricketts-will-greet-obama-after-all/article_c3d2f81c-86ca-523b-a6b9-6a37f29b0750.html

Can you believe this horseshit? Are we really supposed to believe the reason he turned down an invite to meet the President was because he just didn't have the time in his schedule? Also, when did rearranging a schedule become "hard work"? I'm pretty sure it's a matter of clicking a mouse on some buttons in Outlook.

Seriously, if you think that this is somehow indicative of the worst governorship in the country, I have no idea what world you're living in. 

Yes, my Governor just proposed nine constitutional amendments that would make this country function in essence to the Confederate States of America. I didn't think it was possible, but this guy is more of an ass than George W Bush and Rick Perry, our last two Governors.

We in Texas win the biggest douchebag governor in the country by a large margin. 

• 4 weeks later...

So we had the State of the State today.  We have a 931 million dollar deficit.  Gov. Jindal started with a 1 billion dollar surplus.

http://theadvocate.com/news/14835234-172/live-video-watch-gov-john-bel-edwards-statewide-address-on-louisiana-budget-problems

Our college system will be laying off 1200 people.  Without an immediate fix in the legislatures special session, LSU will be closing April 30.  

9 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

So we had the State of the State today.  We have a 931 million dollar deficit.  Gov. Jindal started with a 1 billion dollar surplus.

http://theadvocate.com/news/14835234-172/live-video-watch-gov-john-bel-edwards-statewide-address-on-louisiana-budget-problems

Our college system will be laying off 1200 people.  Without an immediate fix in the legislatures special session, LSU will be closing April 30.  

Yay. I can't wait to finally move back.

20 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Similar event in Illinois.

Rauner is refusing to pass a budget because the Democrats aren't letting him gut public employee unions.

The state has not paid a single penny to any of the 11 state universities or the numerous community colleges.

The grant money for in-need students to attend colleges has also been absent, making the schools front the money in hope that the state will repay us. At some point.

My school just announced a lay of 198 civil service employees. Since fall semester, we have lost 348 jobs. That's roughly 30% of our workforce. 

If the state continues to not give us any money, we will close in April. 

The Chicago State University is already scheduled to close its doors in the middle of March, unless they get funding. Incidentally, Chicago State is also the predominantly black college in our system.

We have had the commission of higher ed issuing a letter saying that the entire state of Illinois can lose accreditation for all our institutions if we cannot show that we can continue to offer classes and graduate students, which we honestly cannot if we don't get any money.

Right now, Rauner is saying he'll refuse to sign the latest funding bill.

TL;DR: I may not have a job any more comes April.

Ok, you win.

Our State office threatened to quit sending payments for our merit scholarship students and within 24 hours reversed the decision.  That program is really popular in every household in Louisiana.

Does Illinois also lack constitutional funding for education?  That's been the big problem here for the last several (8) years.  I found out that our college system was planning the layoffs BEFORE the current and even more terrible budget crisis came up.  Our college has gone from 75% state funded to 75% tuition funded.  Yes, the tuition has skyrocketed.

I can't believe your governor is pulling this.  Our crisis is due to Mr. No New taxes who just left office.  With gas so low and jobs drying up State revenues have been falling consistently.  Our legislature acts SHOCKED every time a new fiscal report comes out.  

I really want to fire everybody in Baton Rouge right now.

Not sure it's a win as we haven't seen the bottom of it all yet. Jindal left, but we just got Rauner.

No, there is no state constitution for funding education. But there is a state constitution for a balanced budget.

We are so fucked.

Archived