Where did Rhaegar get the garland from?

essosi watch

Sorry if this is stupid question. Where did Rhaegar get the garland of winter roses from? Did they have some pretty flower garland prepaired in advance? Do the blue winter roses grow near Harrenhal? Did he already have it before he started jousting? Meera, telling her story about the little crannogman says that princess Elia brought dozen lady companions with her and that knights begged them for their favors to wear during the tourney. IIRC, Jorah Mormont mentioned how he asked his future wife for her favor at another tourney and that he fought like never before and won that tourney and crowned her The Queen of Love and Beauty and even married her. So.. is it possible that Rhaegar maybe met Lyanna and talked to her at some point, maybe after the Knight of the Laughing Tree incident? Maybe he even asked for her favor and later, when he won the tourney, he actually crowned her QoLaB. Thanks for your patience with me:-)

Sorry if this is stupid question. Where did Rhaegar get the garland of winter roses from? Did they have some pretty flower garland prepaired in advance? Do the blue winter roses grow near Harrenhal? Did he already have it before he started jousting? Meera, telling her story about the little crannogman says that princess Elia brought dozen lady companions with her and that knights begged them for their favors to wear during the tourney. IIRC, Jorah Mormont mentioned how he asked his future wife for her favor at another tourney and that he fought like never before and won that tourney and crowned her The Queen of Love and Beauty and even married her. So.. is it possible that Rhaegar maybe met Lyanna and talked to her at some point, maybe after the Knight of the Laughing Tree incident? Maybe he even asked for her favor and later, when he won the tourney, he actually crowned her QoLaB. Thanks for your patience with me:-)

Oh yeah. It was love goddess who dropped that blue rose garland to HH to decorate the beautiful love story of Rhaegar and Lyanna. 

To be serious, winter rose is just one type of rose with a rare blue color. It can grow anywhere roses can grow properly. 

It is Winterfell which needs a special glass garden (green house) to raise it. So it is not exclusively for winterfell or for Lyanna. 

It is a flower shared by whole Westeros. 

Do you think English Lavender only grow in England? obviously not. 

before the jousting started, Whent Maiden already wore this crown, this happened before the Knight of Laughing tree stuff. 

So it is just a coincidence (of course specifically made by GRRM) that they use winter-rose as garland. 

And no, Rhaegar did not wear some favor from Lyanna, as far as we know.

if he really wore some favor, it should be from his wife Elia Martell.

Of course eventually he ruined that favor by humiliating her publicly.  

Almost certainly it was provided by Lord Whent. And would have been given to whichever lady was named QoLaB by whoever won the jousting. The blue winter roses are said to be rare and only found at Winterfell. Rare and beautiful makes them the ideal choice for a 'crown' of roses for the QoLaB whoever it is, not just Lyanna in particular.

I doubt he wore her favour. At that stage he was still 'working on' the three heads of the dragon plan with Elia. He may have admired Lyanna, both as a young woman and more so as the KotLT, but his duty lies with Elia at that time and he was 'dutiful above all'. Its only after Aegon is born many months later (Aegon is conceived close to the time of Harrenhal) and Elia is unable to provide a third dragon head that his 'duty' no longer lies entirely with Elia.
So I am sure that the naming of the QoLaB was primarily as a gesture to honour her for the KotLT exploits, which he couldn't do publically due to the Aerys' enmity of the KotLT. Nobody else understood that though.
There are suggestions here and there that it may have had political undertones as well. I don;t rule those out, I just think its a very simple story, doesn't need more.

There was a Queen already, IICR. Whent's own daughter? If there is a Queen, she likely had a crown. Considering the Whents all lost, she lost her crown and was available.

Have we ever seen the crowning process? Does the knight produce the roses immediately after he wins or is there a delay while he chooses queen?

I think mostly of them go to compete knowing who their Queens will be. KGs choose the Queen or a Princess.

There was a Queen already, IICR. Whent's own daughter? If there is a Queen, she likely had a crown. Considering the Whents all lost, she lost her crown and was available.

So Rhaegar didn't just give the crown to another woman in front of his wife. He also snatched the crown off another girl's head in the first place.

What a douche canoe. Wouldn't surprise me if he ran over a handicapped kid with his horse as he made his way over to Lyanna. 

So Rhaegar didn't just give the crown to another woman in front of his wife. He also snatched the crown off another girl's head in the first place.

What a douche canoe. Wouldn't surprise me if he ran over a handicapped kid with his horse as he made his way over to Lyanna. 

I need to gif this :lmao:

ETA: I'm just loling here... I mean, now we know he made women cry :lol:

That's just upholding family tradition. Rhaegar would be worryingly unsporting if he did NOT act like that.

:dunce:

Two words: blue paint. ;)

Seriously though, this looks like a case of literary device. The roses needed to be blue to symbolize Lyanna and/or Lyanna and Rhaegar's relationship and son.

But it's intriguing that these happened to be Lyanna's favorite flowers. Which means... Maybe the roses meant more for Lyanna than Rhaegar.
What I mean by that is that I find it -very- hard to believe that Rhaegar would purposefully find blue roses for the sake of Lyanna ; at this point in the story I don't believe he had fallen in love with her (the text does not support this, regardless of what happened after HH) ; plus, as Corbon points out, they were likely provided by Lords Whent anyway.
For Lyanna, however, seeing the Crown Prince give her a garland of her favorite flowers may have triggered something. Something which came back later when Rhaegar abducted her for his own mysterious reasons (I say political, many think prophecy, let's not go there).
Because I tend to see Rhaegar as being the archetypal noble, chivalrous prince in the story, I somehow suspect Lyanna was the one to seduce him, not the other way around (this is also consistent with Martin's characterization of her, methinks).

To be serious, winter rose is just one type of rose with a rare blue color. It can grow anywhere roses can grow properly. 

It is Winterfell which needs a special glass garden (green house) to raise it. So it is not exclusively for winterfell or for Lyanna. 

It is a flower shared by whole Westeros. 

Link?

Link?

I honestly think this should be common sense. 

blue rose are still roses. 

Just like people with different colors, they follow same physiology. 

Some special biotechnology may make a rose bloom in winter and snow without glass green house. 

But I do not think it can happen in westeros. 

It's a tournament. The trophy is there already before the match, waiting for the winner. Just like the CL cup. Likewise, it's silly to say that the specific object belonged to the Whent girl before; the title was hers, not the particular crown of blue roses. Plus, being made of flowers, we can be certain that it would have rotten in between the competitions.

Seriously though, this looks like a case of literary device. The roses needed to be blue to symbolize Lyanna and/or Lyanna and Rhaegar's relationship and son.

Yea, seriously speaking, this is it, definitely.

I need to gif this :lmao:

ETA: I'm just loling here... I mean, now we know he made women cry :lol:

You are two of my favorite posters. Thanks for the laughs after a long ass day at the office!

IICR, the tournament happened in Winter. The only roses available were likely the ones from Winterfell.

It's a tournament. The trophy is there already before the match, waiting for the winner. Just like the CL cup. Likewise, it's silly to say that the specific object belonged to the Whent girl before; the title was hers, not the particular crown of blue roses. Plus, being made of flowers, we can be certain that it would have rotten in between the competitions.

Yeah, what I meant is that it's likely the Whent girl was "crowned" when the Tourney started, as in "she's the current Queen" but she never actually owned the crown, likely only wore it once.

IICR, the tournament happened in Winter. The only roses available were likely the ones from Winterfell.

Yeah, what I meant is that it's likely the Whent girl was "crowned" when the Tourney started, as in "she's the current Queen" but she never actually owned the crown, likely only wore it once.

look at how far it is from winterfell to HH. Do they have fedex one day shipping by ravens? 

I am sure it come from local green house. Not winterfell. 

I for one like the idea that he had met Lyanna when unmasking the Knight of the Laughing Tree and that is where he got the roses, or at least the idea to get the blue roses. 

But I also like the idea that he knocked her up and that's why she ran off later with him, only to die giving birth to a second child in the Tower of Joy... soooooo.....

I think mostly of them go to compete knowing who their Queens will be. KGs choose the Queen or a Princess.

I have a (crackpot?) theory Rhaegar knew he was going to win and that he must crown Lyanna afterward. Having the winter roses on hand and formed in the shape a crown seems to indicate proper planning.

Archived