Angels?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Not really, but anyone who puts people down for believing in them is a tool. 

All the best fantasy lore is based on spirituality being real or heavily assumed to be real, and metaphysical beings playing an active role (for good or ill) in the affairs of the world.

Would you give the same benefit of the doubt to someone who believed Cyclops are real? What about Valkyrie? I mean you very well might, but I find people give far more credence to the crazy bullshit of Christianity then they do to the crazy bullshit of other religions.

Someone elect this person as Culture Secretary.

/sarcasm

Hey, at least you had the courage to address me directly. I bet you'd be stunned to learn when I was an undergrad I was an elected member of the student body who chaired the subcommittee on diversity. :P

So I'm a tool for pointing out that believing in magic is asinine? I'll wear that badge with pride.

Also, indulging people's delusions legitimizes their beliefs, which isn't healthy or wise.

While I don't believe in angels or Abrahamic mythology myself, I believe there is vast knowledge to be learned from our Stone and Iron Age forebears. To simply dismiss them as savages because they did not have Facebook or iPhones, is, I think, a gross mistake.

Wow. You do realize you can point to things in the past and seperate the things that are still helpful today from the backwards things that should be ignored.

Or are sea monsters still a legitimate threat?

Seriously, what is the difference between angels and vampires, werewolves, bigfoot and the loch ness monster? Just because one exists in a holy book doesn't make it any more legit.

Seriously, what is the difference between angels and vampires, werewolves, bigfoot and the loch ness monster?

The difference is that angels are emissaries of a higher power, not exotic types of animal, human or hybrid creatures. If a person believes in a higher power (and the overwhelming majority of people do), it's pretty logical to assume that such a power has emissaries.

Being raised Catholic, I'll never quite escape some deep-seated, instinctual belief in angels and the cult of saints. Intellectually, I enjoy angels from a mythological perspective. I was always a fan of the Archangel Gabriel. That was a front-runner for a first or middle name for my son.

Would you give the same benefit of the doubt to someone who believed Cyclops are real? What about Valkyrie?

You joke, but there's this.

Yes, I do believe in Angels.  I'm an Orthodox Christian.

I know right?   What's the whole point of religion if you throw out the fun magic stuff???  You get left with a grim story and churches that lack any charm.   Angels, the cult of Saints and miracles are the good bits.

TM,

I agree with TAT that it is rather toolish to bash and mock people for religious beliefs you disagree with.

People should be able to defend what they believe, and they should be held to higher standards than "it comes from my holy book."

But since there is no way I can continue without going against what TP has stated I will simply bow out of this thread.

Archived