Home abortions spike in Texas post 2013

Crixus

This should surprise nobody who actually knows history.  When safe and legal abortions are not available, unsafe and illegal ones take their place.  It should be nobody's business but the woman and their doctor, but Texas and their freedom loving people want to make sure you do and act as they would.  Because freedom.

There's a Venn diagram of the right wing who believe that if you outlaw guns, people will still get guns (probably true), but if you ban abortions, people won't get them... Either that or you're willingly outlawing desperate, pregnant women and driving them into unsafe and illegal conditions. Which would bother you if you gave a shit about women.

This should surprise nobody who actually knows history.  When safe and legal abortions are not available, unsafe and illegal ones take their place.  It should be nobody's business but the woman and their doctor, but Texas and their freedom loving people want to make sure you do and act as they would.  Because freedom.

It's really shocking how many people think abortions are a new thing and that they'd go away if you just outlaw them.

Also, since the bible if often used as the source for opposition to abortions, isn't it funny that there are also a lot of passages that give men the right to kill their wife and kids. And, yeah know, doesn't actually equate abortions as murder.......

This is horrible information to hear. As a proud Texan, I'm appalled at the nefarious influence of fear-mongering prudes around here. I live in Irving, which is smack dab in the center of the massively populous Dallas/Fort Worth metropolis. Finding affordable birth control (that's not a two-hour drive followed by a five-hour wait) is a massive pain the... how much cussin' can I get away with? I'm an "ounce of prevention" sort of gal, so I can only imagine what I or my daughters (17 and 20) would have to go through if one of us wanted an abortion.

This is horrible information to hear. As a proud Texan, I'm appalled at the nefarious influence of fear-mongering prudes around here. I live in Irving, which is smack dab in the center of the massively populous Dallas/Fort Worth metropolis. Finding affordable birth control (that's not a two-hour drive followed by a five-hour wait) is a massive pain the... how much cussin' can I get away with? I'm an "ounce of prevention" sort of gal, so I can only imagine what I or my daughters (17 and 20) would have to go through if one of us wanted an abortion.

Affordable birth control is a two hour drive away? You're two hours away from a store that sells condoms? Or from a pharmacy that can dispense the pill?  

Oh cute, Nestor is trying to understand how women's health issues work. Are you aware that you don't just pick up birth control pills at the pharmacy? Those need a prescription, which requires an annual pelvic exam. Spoiler- this is not cheap medical care and for many, not affordable.

Thank you, Ms. Fury, for getting it. I consider condoms to be a short-term necessary evil, for use until trust is established regarding health and monogamy. I'm partial to the Depo shot myself but anyway, yeah... the cost of comfortable, effective birth control is more than just the price tag of the chemical itself - WAY more.

The only consolation here is that at least the self-abortions won't be as dangerous as the pre-Roe era, back when there were no medications you could take for abortion and it was all surgical. If Texan women who want to self-abort can get a hold of either misoprostol or mifepristone, they can self-abort that way in the first 9 weeks or so I think (using it later on gets really dangerous). Or at least they can until Texas law enforcement starts harassing women who show up in the hospital with miscarriages, which they almost certainly will at some point despite bleating from the anti-choice crowd about how they're "not going to arrest or punish the woman". 

Archived