Why does shadowbinders fear Stygai?

LordImp

Actual Others. Just like how I believe the Ifequevron were probably Essosi Children of the Forest.

Well, at least species-wise. There were likely some cultural differences between Westerosi Children and Ifequevron, so if there are Others in the Grey Waste, they're likely not exactly the same as those in the Land of Always Winter.

i never liked Other in Essos idea. But i'll admit that it's highly likely. The Ghost grass sounds very similar to Others. 

A problem i have with the Five forts is that it was raised by the Pearl emperor to keep the Lion of Night demons out, while the Lion didnt unleash his wrath before the time of the Bloodstone Emperor. Of course history isnt accurate.

A problem i have with the Five forts is that it was raised by the Pearl emperor to keep the Lion of Night demons out, while the Lion didnt unleash his wrath before the time of the Bloodstone Emperor. Of course history isnt accurate.

Five Forts to me is a defensive construction build by the GEotD to defend it's western side. I'm of the opinion that when the empire was in it's fullest power the world was probably full of all sorts of nasties and that meant a decent ring of defenses was vital. I don't think it was to defend against Others as they only appeared during the Long Night and the forts predate them I think.

Now what was out there could be anything, demons, human tribes, rival empires, wild dragons, pre-human civilisations who knows, it is too far back in the past for there to be records now. And i'm guessing after the Long Night and the death of the empire any records were lost.

Five Forts to me is a defensive construction build by the GEotD to defend it's western side. I'm of the opinion that when the empire was in it's fullest power the world was probably full of all sorts of nasties and that meant a decent ring of defenses was vital. I don't think it was to defend against Others as they only appeared during the Long Night and the forts predate them I think.

Now what was out there could be anything, demons, human tribes, rival empires, wild dragons, pre-human civilisations who knows, it is too far back in the past for there to be records now. And i'm guessing after the Long Night and the death of the empire any records were lost.

My guess is that the GEOTD dumped their genetic experiments beyound the five forts , as LmL suggested in one of his threads. 

Another thing I've noticed is that most of these black structures are on the edge of the world if you considered that empire to be nautical. I mean you've got Five Forts on the western edge of the great empire, then you've got the Seastone Chair on the far "eastern" side of the same empire (assuming it went all the way round the globe and back round to the Iron Islands). 

These structures never seem to be marking a border it edged from the centre of the land outwards, but they do look more interesting if you go from the sea inland. Could this link the Deep Ones or Drowned God with their construction?

Another thing I've noticed is that most of these black structures are on the edge of the world if you considered that empire to be nautical. I mean you've got Five Forts on the western edge of the great empire, then you've got the Seastone Chair on the far "eastern" side of the same empire (assuming it went all the way round the globe and back round to the Iron Islands). 

These structures never seem to be marking a border it edged from the centre of the land outwards, but they do look more interesting if you go from the sea inland. Could this link the Deep Ones or Drowned God with their construction?

I do think there is a connection , but not sure what it is. The Seastone chair is shaped like a Kraken after all. 

The toad-shaped idol of oily black stone on one of the Basilisk Isles does not seem to border-related, as Zeen lies to the south, the seastone chair to the west, Asshai to east and Mantarys northerly.

I suspect the OBS are a tangible remnant of the power of the Deep Ones, but whether they work the stone or merely provide it to surface-dwelling worshippers (the Cult of Starry Wisdom?) I have no clue. I think there are some important contrasts between the OBS, the fused black stone of the Valyrians, and the weirwood of the CotF that will come to light at some point.

Gee I wonder why humans are terrified of a city of the dead, crawling with demons and dragons?

If you pay them enough gold, then they might do things for you, say, scour the shadowlands for dragon eggs and give them to some Pentoshi magister ;)

• 1 month later...
On 2015-11-29 at 11:18 AM, Lordsteve666 said:

On 2015-11-29 at 1:06 PM, LordImp said:

My guess is that the GEOTD dumped their genetic experiments beyound the five forts , as LmL suggested in one of his threads. 

A thought that came to me while reading: What if the Five Forts had/have a function like the Wall, keeping out Others (or similar) as well as "wildling" types (and possibly a few experimental rejects!).  Just like the north of the Wall, there's going to be people who don't want to leave their home.  Basically, I don't see why all of the above isn't an option!  Normal humans, genetic rejects, and Other-like creatures all shunted to one side of a defensive structure.  It could have been built (possibly on a smaller scale) originally, before the LN, as a defensive structure against "wildlings" of a sort, then with the oncoming of the LN and all that implies they increased the size and dimensions of their defensive structure accordingly.  Admittedly, the story we're told makes it sound like the Five Forts were built all in one go to the size they are now, but the Wall, we're told, was added onto after the initial building.  In my head, it makes sense that the story of the Five Forts would slowly, over time, lose some details (ie: continued building after the initial construction).  Instead of "The Pearl Emperor built the Five Forts and so-and-so connected them together, and whats-his-face made them taller, and whats-her-name added something" it turned into "The Pearl Emperor built the Five Forts."  Especially when it's a Westerosi relaying the tale to us - something like the Jade Compendium may have more of so-and-so, whats-his-face and whats-her-name's details!  Like, the Pearl Emperor built Five Forts to help keep out "uncivilized" humans ("wildlings"), so-and-so wanted to make his own mark on an important structure, whats-his-face had some demons that necessitated a taller tower (winged men?) and whats-her-name had to deal with the LN and it's aftermath. (My made up names didn't end up working so well in that scenario, because the Amethyst Empress dies *before* the LN, but that's not important - switch whats-her-name with whats-his-face if it's bothering you!).

Archived