Mali Hostage Crisis

HexMachina

Surprised not to see a topic already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-34815762

Special forces have stormed the hotel and it seems at least 80 of the 170 hostages have now been freed.

My news alert popped up earlier to say at least 3 hostages had been killed, but I can no longer find a source for that so perhaps it's since been redacted.

This shit can wait until the crisis is done. I'm not even going to try to argue how stupid your conflation of inaction and your preferred mix of xenophobia and war mongering is until then. I'd also suggest atleast reading up about African insurgencies until then. Shockingly there are differences with regards to Mid east.

And 'thunk' ? -_-

Oh look. Some more Islamist acts of terror somewhere in the world. Who would've thunk it...

Time to up our brotherly love vibes, to counter this threat.

Thank you Malik. Well said.

Leave your political bullshit at the door for a couple of hours. You can try to pretend you have a bit of tact and decency. 

Thank you Malik. Well said.

Leave your political bullshit at the door for a couple of hours. You can try to pretend you have a bit of tact and decency. 

Thanks. Sadly people jumped at the issue from the second post itself. My own comment too didn't mention solidarity with those in times of need in Mali. Yes, Islamic extremists were behind this. Anybody with some knowledge about the region could guess that. To try and immediately weave this into your Islam sucks bullshit is despicable.

Thanks. Sadly people jumped at the issue from the second post itself. My own comment too didn't mention solidarity with those in times of need in Mali. Yes, Islamic extremists were behind this. Anybody with some knowledge about the region could guess that. To try and immediately weave this into your Islam sucks bullshit is despicable.

What i don;t get is why these people don't go on the hundreds, thousands of hate forums and websites, and post their nasty opinions there? The comments section over at Fox News, for instance. They would be legends there. 

snip

I'm curious how strict a test it is, like what's the requisite Qur'anic knowledge they must see demonstrated before they're willing to let a hostage go? A specific sura? Any random quote? How long of a verse would it have to be? Would they want it spoken in the original Arabic? My guess is they want strict adherence to be demonstrated but maybe if they're a bit more lenient and a villainous atheist like me could pass it just knowing a few short verses. 

Apparently a "counter assault" has been launched to retake the hotel. "counter assault" is a scary fucking word when there are dozens of hostages involved. 

Right now there is said to be two to three gunmen, armed with Kalashnikovs, who got into the compound using a vehicle with "diplomatic" plates. 

If the tactic of terrorists is to start killing hostages immediately doesn't that weaken the point of taking hostages in the first place?  If they start killing the only real option is to attack and try to stop them.

Well, prior to 9/11, most airplane abductions were performed to take hostages, not to use the aircraft as bombs. In many ways, AQ destroyed that tactic of hostage-taking by making airplane abductions a matter of life and death, too. It almost seems like that's the goal: weakening the position of concurrents who finance themselves by taking hostages (like the PLO, back in the day...)

Awful :( Glad most of the hostages were freed at least. CNN says authorities are saying that the attackers are still inside. I imagine they are trying to figure out how to safely take them down without killing them.

The article seem to have been updated, as latest claims are at least 27 dead :(

That's what our public news said a short while after I posted previously, and what I find on other sources too.

I wonder if this will turn into a competition about who's more terrible, AQ or Daesh.

Archived