Jessica Jones (Netflix) (non-spoiler thread)

The Wolves

It's really good. It's like the love child of Veronica Mars and Buffy.

And more V Mars than Buffy which is a good thing for this type of show.  Ritter was in VM for several episodes and the film as well.

It does maintain the Buffy style of people being able to have sex with strategically placed sheets between them. Never worked out if this is a special american design or simply lazy way to get around censorship. I'd like it to be the former as that would be more fun/strange.

so after watching the first 30 mins and being bored shitless i decided to come and see what everyone else felt.  the overwhelming positivity suggests i should stick with it.  i think it might be because i only just got around to watchind daredevil over the last 2 weeks and that ended awesome. 

It's really good. It's also really slow, which I feel it occasionally fails to justify, especially with stuff that turns out to essentially be a sequel hook and therefore simply a detour from the main plot. The show is compelling enough, and the last scene sets us up for future stories in such a very simple and effective manner that they didn't need to dangle a big mystery in front of us (it doesn't help that it doesn't seem to be a particularly original storyline).

I didn't get much of a Buffy vibe, very much just Veronica Mars with superpowers, which in turn probably mostly stems from the noir stylings both VM and JJ embrace. JJ doesn't present us with a mystery to be solved, just a fucked up bad guy who needs to be stopped, so instead of uncovering hints about what's going on, it's mostly just about finding Kilgrave.

It's got a good cast of characters (even the neighbours in Jessica's building end up getting a lot of development), one of the MCU's best villains (I think it's the simple and downright petty things he does in between horrendously evil, life-destroying acts, that sell it) and obviously a great lead.

And despite the fact that several characters far outstrip anybody on Daredevil in terms of paranormal abilities, it manages to feel more grounded than that show.

I finished it.  I am looking forward to next season. Spoilers:

Kilgrave getting away so often when they had him captured / could have killed him got to be a bit much. There was a small part of me hoping that he would take the 60/40 drug at the end and just drop dead. I realize that that would not work thematically ... or on any level really, but I would have laughed and laughed. I thought Luke Cage vs. Jessica was a good setpiece that was unfortunately drained of any tension or emotion since everyone knows he's starring in his own series. The climax was pretty good, her act at the end was super obvious, but they had set Kilgrave up to be the type of person who would fall for that. One of the good things about Kilgrave's character seeming so human is that I don't feel any need for the series to have a 'bigger' big bad next time out, just someone who is different in an interesting way. Series that constantly try to explain how this season's big bad is even more invincible than last season's can be really annoying.

The highlight of the season for me was '1,000 cuts', that episode was brutal. This whole series was even darker than Daredevil, and it was good to see Marvel not pulling its punches. Watching the girl you're trying to protect cut her own throat so you are free to kill the bad guy is a pretty harsh way of learning your lesson though. My other favorite scenes were the elevator shooting and smile at the very beginning, and Jessica walking out of the holding cell to see all the cops frozen with guns on each other. If Marvel Netflix can maintain this kind of quality I'll be looking forward to the TV shows more than the movies.

so after watching the first 30 mins and being bored shitless i decided to come and see what everyone else felt.  the overwhelming positivity suggests i should stick with it.  i think it might bIIIIe because i only just got around to watchind daredevil over the last 2 weeks and that ended awesome. 

I felt the same after the first 20-30 minutes. It was a bit on the nose with the voice-over and general Humphrey Bogartness of it all. But the second half of episode one was really good, so I'll stop typing now and move on to second ep. 

At the 4th episode. Definitely a good show, but I know almost nothing about the characters, so I'm not getting any of the references. Oh well. I have to say, I did do some research about the character, and if I hadn't, I might have found it harder to get into it. The first episode was pretty slow.

It's so small scale, though. If the villain and the protagonist weren't done so well, I'm not sure that I would care for it. 

One ep. in so far. I think I'll take my time working through them, if I  can resist.

Looks great so far. It has a much different flavor than Daredevil, which is actually perfect. I hope all 4 of these shows have their own vibe now. I love Daredevil, but I was skeptical that these other shows would work. Now I'm pretty hopeful.

Really horrific villian. I'd wonder if the show could continue after he's gone, if he's ever gone. It's great how is used, and not used as well. Really liked the protagonist and Luke Cage as well.

The only really bad part for me was the neighbors. Just kinda an annoying distraction and kinda ruined the mood of the ep for me. But I'm only one ep in, so that may be why. Or it was just a misstep.

Another episode down, have tons of work to do but even so may watch some more of this tonight, I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm also not finding it especially slow, as others seem to be, but I suppose ymmv. 

Since I'm a total Marvel dunce, can someone tell me, does this series interlink with Daredevil at all (beyond the setting I mean). 

Another episode down, have tons of work to do but even so may watch some more of this tonight, I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm also not finding it especially slow, as others seem to be, but I suppose ymmv. 

Since I'm a total Marvel dunce, can someone tell me, does this series interlink with Daredevil at all (beyond the setting I mean). 

Yeah... They are working on The Defenders, which will include Cage, Daredevil, Jessica... Plus, I heard that Daredevil will be guest star at the season finale.

So I had to do something I almost never do after the fifth episode. I skipped to the end of the series to find out if/how Killgrave was defeated. Seriously, there is no other bad guy in the MCU that I have had a more visceral response too. He scared me, and angered me on a very emotional level. Seriously effective villan, I am now going to have to go back and watch the rest of the series. 

So how does Kilgrave's power actually work?

Hidden Content

In the comics his body produces pheromones that allow him to control people.  I'd assume it's the same for the show, although they haven't explicitly said so yet where I'm at.  With that in mind, he would have to be in close physical contact with someone for that to work, which is why he can't control people over the phone, and presumably why his powers wear off after a while.

Archived