Jessica Jones [AKA This Thread Has Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

Actually, at one point in the final confrontation he does go a little purple. He's screaming something very passionately, and all the veins on his face stand out and his face goes a little purple. It's only about two seconds, and that's more than I think was necessary really. I don't think his character derives it's importance from him looking purple any more than the Joker is important to Batman because he has green hair. 

Which is to say, it might be part of his iconic look and style, but ultimately different variations are fine - such as Heath Ledgers badly died greasy mop, or Jack Nicholson's smoothed back look.

He still looked like a clown in both versions though. A very different looking clown, but a clown never the less.

Jack Nicholson's was probably the perfect combo if you ask me. We got to see him with the makeup on and off in that film.

Yeah okay....no, we are not gonna agree on this, so lets just move on here. The shows not afraid of embracing its roots at all, thats why Trish brought up the costume and the mask and why guys like Cage, Trish and even Kilgrave ask Jessica about being a superhero and having a superhero codename.

I don't know - with the strange reluctance to say the names of the Avengers I definitely get the impression that there's a certain reluctance to embrace it's roots. Purple skin could easily have worked especially if it were just for half of the finale. There are real life conditions which produce purple looking skin and if they'd gone the vein route it would have looked realistic imo.

Well, TV Killgrave still looks like a suavely dressed man who stands out for being purple. I don't really see the problem. 

I just would have been nice if they went all the way for the final episode. I would have been fine with purple veins too. It seems like they were leading up this, with Killgrave's father telling him just how dangerous it was to take the injection in the final episode. I mean if the plan was to kill the character off in the same episode, than why not just do it.

no f'ing way, trinity's wife is calamity jane, it was bugging me for ages.  

im usually terrible at facial recognition but i realized it was her right away. She has very distinct facial expressions. 

I don't know - with the strange reluctance to say the names of the Avengers I definitely get the impression that there's a certain reluctance to embrace it's roots. Purple skin could easily have worked especially if it were just for half of the finale. There are real life conditions which produce purple looking skin and if they'd gone the vein route it would have looked realistic imo.

When Luke and Jessica are eating they do mention the Avengers' superpowerd members, just not by name. I personally believe there are 2 reasons for this.

1. The director wanted the focus to remain on the Jessica Jones cast.

2. To not give fans false hope that the Avengers or any avenger might appear.

In Agents of Shield, Fury was mentioned several times and he actually makes appearances on that show.

When Luke and Jessica are eating they do mention the Avengers' superpowerd members, just not by name. I personally believe there are 2 reasons for this.

1. The director wanted the focus to remain on the Jessica Jones cast.

2. To not give fans false hope that the Avengers or any avenger might appear.

In Agents of Shield, Fury was mentioned several times and he actually makes appearances on that show.

They don't mention the Avengers. They mention "The Green Guy" and "The Flag", which is really just a cheep way of getting around saying "The Avengers".

The alien invasion of New York is hardly talked about as well.

They also talk about The Avengers on AoS from time to time. So what's up with not being allowed to mention them by name on Netflix.

They don't mention the Avengers. They mention "The Green Guy" and "The Flag", which is really just a cheep way of getting around saying "The Avengers".

I'm not sure, but they might not be allowed to mention Hulk by name because of the deal with Universal. But I think they should be able to. If he can appear in Avengers surely he can be mentioned on TV. But then the Sony deal about Spiderman apparently precludes him from appearing in any of the Marvel TV shows. So who knows, it all depends how the deal was worded. They have namedropped Banner and Blonsky on Agents of Shield, for what it's worth. I thought the descriptive names were just the show trying to be cute/aloof, not due to any rights issue. 

The alien invasion of New York is hardly talked about as well.

Well there is that one episode where that lady is seeking misguided revenge against Jessica for the invasion of New York. I'm not really sure they need to still be dwelling on it three years later. Though it is interesting to think that Jessica could have been Kilgraved during those events, the timing works out. Down the line I would love to see a Defenders episode set on the anniversary where they all flash back to what they were doing when all that happened. 

....Yes, that is what I meant, but everybody knows who they are talking about. Notice how I said "Just not by name"?

And technically you DO get the avengers on AOS because Coulson and Fury were involved in running that team.

Again, I fully believe that if you have no plans of showing the character, dont mention them. It is fucking bullshit and weak. "Yeah, you know about this guy who can level buildings with his fists? Yeah, you're not gonna see him throughout these next 10 episodes". I applauded the season for keeping those names low-key.

Show, dont tell.

....Yes, that is what I meant, but everybody knows who they are talking about. Notice how I said "Just not by name"?

And technically you DO get the avengers on AOS because Coulson and Fury were involved in running that team.

Again, I fully believe that if you have no plans of showing the character, dont mention them. It is fucking bullshit and weak. "Yeah, you know about this guy who can level buildings with his fists? Yeah, you're not gonna see him throughout these next 10 episodes". I applauded the season for keeping those names low-key.

Show, dont tell.

I don't recall the Avengers ever showing up on AoS. Heck even Agent Carter has characters talk about Cap. So are the Netflix series simply not allowed to mention the characters by name, while the ABC series can.

I don't recall the Avengers ever showing up on AoS. Heck even Agent Carter has characters talk about Cap. So are the Netflix series simply not allowed to mention the characters by name, while the ABC series can.

They can. They just choose not to. There's no reason they can't. 

It's just silly how the Netflix shows are scared to be in a shared universe, while the ABC shows clearly aren't.

I can already picture Luke Cage calling Thor "the guy with the big hammer" and Stark "the guy in the red suit" during his show.

Except the expense of having movie stars appear on your relatively low budget TV show.

The complaint wasn't that the avengers don't show up in JJ, but rather that they're not mentioned.

Which I think is a silly complaint. It's like people complaining that Agents of Shield isn't mentioned more in the Avengers movies. There'd be no point other than continuity nod fanservice.

Also, are people in the universe familiar with the name? I always thought it was a silly name anyway. What are they avenging? They don't even use the name that much in the Avengers movies iirc.

Yeah, in-universe I would imagine only Iron Man is particularly well-publicized. Cap is an agent of a supposedly secret organization. The Hulk is alternately a hero and a terrorist. Hawkeye and Widow are both government agents. Thor is covered up as best they can and isn't particularly around on Earth all that much. I know Cap has a history in WW2 and all, but at the same time saying that when you barely see the guy doesn't seem that odd.

I'm not sure why it matters at all? I only really cared about the Jessica Jones storyline. If I wanted to watch The Avengers or hear about them, I would have watched The Avengers. It's a similar situation to how you could watch an Iron Man movie and have no mention of Captain America or Hulk or Thor.

I think more interesting would have been Jessica Jones mentioning Daredevil. Until Claire Temple showed up, we had zero crossover and they're supposed to be within the same 15 block radius.

I think more interesting would have been Jessica Jones mentioning Daredevil. Until Claire Temple showed up, we had zero crossover and they're supposed to be within the same 15 block radius.

Yeah, that makes more sense. As far as Marvel goes it seems to me there was always a kind of line of demarcation between the street-level heroes (Spiderman, Daredevil, Powerman and the like) and the world savers like the Avengers or the Fantastic Four. Of course there was the occasional cross-over seeing as how they all occupied the same city, but the scope of their stories was so different that they didn't cross paths all that often.

I thought it was an ok show, definitely don't think its anywhere close to being the greatest thing ever. However I really appreciated having so many women in roles that might have normally gone to men. This is a good thing. 

I don't have much feedback, but I feel the need to complain sloppy continuity....involving weather. There were scenes in this were one camera angel showed winter, and the other showed spring, which i think is very very sloppy. Overall, the pilot episode had a snowy new york, but by the end it was clearly May. Small nit pick, but it really bothered me. Perhaps watching it all over the course of two weeks just made it more noticeable and glaring, or perhaps it's because I've lived in NYC most of my life and i usually pay attention to the background whenever something is filmed there to see if i recognize the area. (and for the record, MOST of the out door scenes were actually filmed in Manhattan, as opposed to DD which took place in Hells Kitchen but was filmed in Brooklyn).  

I dunno about DD, but Kingpin should have definitely been mentioned.

Archived