Jessica Jones [AKA This Thread Has Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

Then it shouldn't be done at all. Mentioning the Avengers and Ultron had no effect on AoS, but they still did it anyway.

Meh. In the 30 odd episodes, they've mentioned the Avengers like 5 times if that in passing. And this is by the new Head of Shield, who the Avengers supposedly work for. Hard for me to see any reason to complain about a failed superhero PI, with zero relation to the Avengers, mentioning them, especially with all the shit she has going on with Kilgrave killing people on the regular. We had one revenge story as a direct result of the battle of NY and that was more than enough.

Well, the funny thing is, Foggy Nelson out right name dropped Captain America in Daredevil. ""I could call myself Captain America; it doesn't put wings on my head."

No there's no rule. Loeb has been doing a ton of interviews and he said it's a choice. I'm perfectly fine with that and it's cool that they instead name drop minor local characters.

The characters can also go in any of the movies if they want. It's unlikely to happen in the near future I'd think simply because the movies could easily get too crowded.

I also just read today that there's a possibility these characters could get their own movie someday. They're just being restrained right now, which I actually like. And it doesn't mean they'll always be so restrained.

Meh. In the 30 odd episodes, they've mentioned the Avengers like 5 times if that in passing. And this is by the new Head of Shield, who the Avengers supposedly work for. Hard for me to see any reason to complain about a failed superhero PI, with zero relation to the Avengers, mentioning them, especially with all the shit she has going on with Kilgrave killing people on the regular. We had one revenge story as a direct result of the battle of NY and that was more than enough.

Even the Battle of New York was simply reduced to "the attack". This show was clearly afraid to have movie references.

They don't mention the Avengers. They mention "The Green Guy" and "The Flag", which is really just a cheep way of getting around saying "The Avengers".

I think it was more a way to show how average people might talk about the Avengers in regular conversations.

Lets stay polite. Implying someone dislikes aspects of a show for unsavory reasons is pretty lame.

On a related note, I too decided to rewatch Daredevil a bit, and I forgot just how stylish the direction and lighting were; it wasn't just fight choreography that made it distinct. JJ is very drab by comparison. Only four episodes into the rewatch, and it's after episode five where I think the switch to DeKnight really starts to have a negative impact, but the first four are very strong episodes. And the supporting cast is nothing to sneeze at.

I saw Luke Cage there, but not Jessica or any of her Aliases I know about. In the show Jessica mostly beat Luke in that fight, except at the end for some reason. So she ought to be in the same strength category as Luke at least.

Now the fun bit would be to ascribe a title rather than number range to each category. If "super strong" is, what, ability to lift half a ton? we have super strong, very super strong, superduper strong, very superduper strong, very very super strong, ultra strong, uber strong, very ultra strong, very ultra superduper strong... :-D

Even the Battle of New York was simply reduced to "the attack". This show was clearly afraid to have movie references.

That bit Martell Spy mentioned is kind of nice. I like it when they flavor the dialogue with those sorts of references. I can kind of understand why this show might choose to refrain from that due to the fact that these particular characters (Jessica Jones, Powerman, Iron Fist) are pretty obscure in a relative sense. Even moreso than Daredevil. I suppose the writers might want to build them up on their own merits. That being said, I like the clever little shared universe references and such.  

Okay, I'll try again. Sifth, did you nitpick Daredevil the same way? Because right now complaining that they're not namedropping other superheroes enough, or that Kilgrave isn't Grimace, or that Jessica Jones didn't witness enough rape - those are pretty lame nitpicks, and it really sounds like you're searching for rational reasons why you didn't like the show. 

Well, in the comics JJ can fly. Here she basically uses her super strength to fall with style. It seems like Luke Cage isn't as strong as Jessica. He's just far more durable. 

I dunno about that, when he was mindcontrolled by Kilgrave I got the feeling he was the stronger one. It could be that Jessica was holding back though.

I dunno about that, when he was mindcontrolled by Kilgrave I got the feeling he was the stronger one. It could be that Jessica was holding back though.

Yeah, that was the impression I got - that she was both still injured from earlier fights, and she was fighting to live - whereas Cage was fighting to kill her.

Okay, I'll try again. Sifth, did you nitpick Daredevil the same way? Because right now complaining that they're not namedropping other superheroes enough, or that Kilgrave isn't Grimace, or that Jessica Jones didn't witness enough rape - those are pretty lame nitpicks, and it really sounds like you're searching for rational reasons why you didn't like the show. 

Could it be that I simply did not like the show. You may not agree with my reasons for not liking the show, but I listed nearly a dozen for you at this point. If they didn't bother you, then all the better. They did for me and I didn't like the show as a result.

To answer your question I did enjoy Dare Devil more and it's mostly because I believed it followed a formula that lasted 13 episodes, while Jessica Jones story was basically "catch Killgrave, Killgrave escaped". Again, if you weren't bothered by this, that's cool, I however was.

Different opinions man, that's all it is at the end of the day.

Could it be that I simply did not like the show. You may not agree with my reasons for not liking the show, but I listed nearly a dozen for you at this point. If they didn't bother you, then all the better. They did for me and I didn't like the show as a result.

I'm just trying to find consistency. DareDevil was far more divergent from the source material than JJ was, Fisk was far different than any Kingpin source material has had him be, Karen Page was pretty different, Foggy was pretty different, even Stick was really different. It's curious why DareDevil didn't bother you but JJ did. 

And Jessica Jones' story was summed up as 'stop Kilgrave'. Sometimes that failed. DareDevil's story was 'eventually, get around to trying to stop Kingpin when it suits you' which makes zero sense. I liked DareDevil, but I think the reason your criticisms feel awfully shallow and weak is because you say you like DareDevil - which suffered worse from having extended length of season, divergent of character compared to source material, and didn't victimize women nearly as much as they did in the comic. 

Well I had some pretty big problems with DD, and some slightly smaller problems with JJ. Both I felt suffered from having to fill 13 episodes. If they'd gone with 10 episode orders some, but certainly not all, of the problems would have been solved. And while I don't agree that being truer to the source material would have made a better show, I do agree that the formula was rather lazy. 

As to the Avenger name dropping thing, well I couldn't give a shit whether or not they did that; but the way in which they did it was cringe worthy. "The green guy" and "the flag waver"? Give me a break. They might as well have had Jessica look over at the camera and wink while saying it.

I'm just trying to find consistency. DareDevil was far more divergent from the source material than JJ was, Fisk was far different than any Kingpin source material has had him be, Karen Page was pretty different, Foggy was pretty different, even Stick was really different. It's curious why DareDevil didn't bother you but JJ did. 

And Jessica Jones' story was summed up as 'stop Kilgrave'. Sometimes that failed. DareDevil's story was 'eventually, get around to trying to stop Kingpin when it suits you' which makes zero sense. I liked DareDevil, but I think the reason your criticisms feel awfully shallow and weak is because you say you like DareDevil - which suffered worse from having extended length of season, divergent of character compared to source material, and didn't victimize women nearly as much as they did in the comic. 

I disagree. The fact that Matt Murdock was likable as hell helped the show too, while I found Jessica to be pretty much a bitch to everyone except Trish. Notice how my only complaints to staying loyal to the source material involve Jessica and Purple Man (or not so purple man as the show made him), and not stuff like Trish being Jessica's best friend in place of Carol (Ms. Marvel). Stuff like that I understand, while stuff like using rape to explain why Jessica is rude to the world, just seems like the easy way out. I respect the comic for not taking such a short cut. I mean heck even GRRM hasn't done such an easy thing to Sansa, even though she's been put in 3 or 4 situations where she could have been raped.

Let's just agree to disagree man, because we'll never come to terms on this show.

Archived