Jessica Jones [AKA This Thread Has Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

I think possibly they meant the comics rather than the TV show.

Question about Reva - why did she have those videos of Killgrave? Is that explained, and I missed it? Or is it not explained? And if it wasn't, was this purposely - I.e. It's a plot point for some future series, be in JJ or Luke Cage? 

The tape had videos of a number of children who were experimented on, including Luke Cage. I think that's why Reva had the tape.

So I moved on to episode 10. How shocking that the black cop was killed. They only mentioned his retirement, I don't know ten times at least. Just when I think this show can't get more cliche, it has to pull this on me. 

The tape had videos of a number of children who were experimented on, including Luke Cage. I think that's why Reva had the tape.

oooooooooh. That would certainly make sense and I can see it being correct...it isn't specifically mentioned though right? Just for my own sake, as I was trying to figure out if I had missed something

eta; beyond Luke's "To protect me." I mean (which makes even more sense when coupled with your idea)

So only 2 episodes to go and the writing for this show is all all over the place. I have no idea how this show got so many good reviews. I get that it's nice to have a strong female main character in a Marvel show, but that's no excuse for bad and cliche writing.

At this point Killgrave has been captured 3 times and escaped. He's remdining me of Zadornov from MGS: Peace Walker at this point.

In fact, Jessica gives the flash drive to Luke. So my expectation is that the Luke Cage series will deal with the question of why Reva had it, how she got it, and so on.

I hope they don't reveal that his wife was some kind of sleeper agent trying to keep tabs on him. Would cheapen her death and the moment Jessica first broke free of Kilgrave. 

So only 2 episodes to go and the writing for this show is all all over the place. I have no idea how this show got so many good reviews. I get that it's nice to have a strong female main character in a Marvel show, but that's no excuse for bad and cliche writing.

Wait, it is not like Jessica Jones is the first one... Long live Peggy Carter :)

The showrunner indicated in an interview that she initially was going to get into Luke's origins a bit but then had feedback that that was something that should be left for his show. So yeah, the Reva stuff seems like it's going to be handled there.

Also, looking forward to the Luke Cage show having someone tell him, "Fight the power, man!"

I can't remember if they said it specifically. I think JJ did mention the flash drive to Luke at one point, somewhere in episode 12.

I don't think she said it specifically. But she absolutely heavily implied it. If I recall correctly, it went something like "Here's the flash drive. It has videos of lots of kids with powers being experimented on, not just Kilgrave. I didn't watch them. Reva wanted you to have it."

So... yeah... not much room for doubt.

At this point Killgrave has been captured 3 times and escaped. He's remdining me of Zadornov from MGS: Peace Walker at this point.

what is wrong with the writing? 

what is wrong with the writing? 

It plays into a lot of cline's and stereotypes. For example having a black cop die, who's close to retiring and having Jessica check the pulse of a man who just ran a large pair of hedge clippers through his head.............he might be alright, lol

The show felt very off balance. I mean having Killgrave escape 4 times was just ridiculous.

I think the bit about him being close to retirement was cliche and pointless, but his death served the purpose of showing that Simmons had completely snapped.  And I don't think him being black really had much to do with anything.  He was the main cop character on the show other than Simmons, and Simmons wasn't dying because he's likely coming back later as Nuke.

The show felt very off balance. I mean having Killgrave escape 4 times was just ridiculous.

Hold on... upthread you said it was three times. And I was struggling to recall the third (I remember two - once when they were about to put him in the cell and once when he was actually in the cell).

Did he escape again in the past couple of hours? :P

Hold on... upthread you said it was three times. And I was struggling to recall the third (I remember two - once when they were about to put him in the cell and once when he was actually in the cell).

Did he escape again in the past couple of hours? [emoji14]

The Killgrave mob also freed him and Jessica nearly had him cornered in episode 3 as well.

It plays into a lot of cline's and stereotypes. For example having a black cop die, who's close to retiring and having Jessica check the pulse of a man who just ran a large pair of hedge clippers through his head.............he might be alright, lol

Okay, im getting tired of this argument, but i´ll humor you.

Kilgrave didnt constantly escape cause he was some criminal genius or stupidity on the part of Jessica, its because of several factors that are just extremely hard to manage.

1. Jessica had to prove that Kilgrave's powers were real, if this was not the case then Jessica could have whacked him the minute they had him in that van.

2. Jessica was focused on getting Hope off the hook, even if you can prove 1, proving this point would still be hard as fuck.

3. Kilgrave had a ton of people in his pocket, plus there was the factor of killing him without your allies turning against you OR him brainwashing them into harming themselves

4. Jessica for all of her gifts and such, was still a (justifiably) extremely traumatized woman who just happens to be a good detective, but Batman she is not. She is not a genius in planning, she does not have an iron indomitable will allowing her to overcome pretty much everything. Even though she could resist Kilgrave's powers, she was still an emotional wreck and as anybody with trauma can tell you, having your emotions out of whack doesn't exactly lead to tactical brilliance. Something everybody pointed out several times.

5. If this WAS some other hero, Kilgrave would probably still be alive. The Joker has escaped a million times over the years, I think Kilgrave escaping 4 times isnt that big of a deal.

So... one cliche, one silly thing and one bit of repetition = a lot of cliches and stereotypes?

Well someone already beat me to the stupidity of the Killgrave Mob saving Killgrave, because one crazy yoyo said Jessica was bad.

There's also the ending to episode 11 when Luke Cage blows up his bar. What am I suppose to feel with an ending like this? Certainly not fear since Luke is practically unkillable.

I also live in the NYC area. So I found the subway scene ridiculous. No way would security just let someone dangle over rails like that for a minute.

Archived