Something about the Cleganes

LordImp

The Clegane brothers Gregor & Sandor is known for their heigh and strenght . The Mountain is one of the biggest men their is in the world. Are the Cleganes just big or are their something about their bloodline. Could they descend from Duncan the tall , the Umbers etc. Or could they be the result of some genetic experiment ? . They are also good fighters so they might be Dunk descendants. 

The best physical specimens would typically be paired with one another. I wouldn't assume that Dunk's progeny were the Cleganes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they shared a common ancestor.

What surprises me is how many seven-foot knights are strutting around Westeros that seem physically fit enough to wear heavy armor and do battle.

The best physical specimens would typically be paired with one another. I wouldn't assume that Dunk's progeny were the Cleganes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they shared a common ancestor.

What surprises me is how many seven-foot knights are strutting around Westeros that seem physically fit enough to wear heavy armor and do battle.

This. A family like the lannisters dating back to generations on generations probably at one point or another had "slaves" or some type of forced work for common people. Just like what USA slave traders did they  had the biggest and strongest breed with the biggest and strongest (hence why as far as athletes african americans for the most part are more genetically gifted, thats not being racist its a fact). A family like the Lannisters could have been doing something close to that to breed the strongest warriors/soldiers. Thats just a theory though.

But look at the real world, look at Yao Ming, or Sun Ming Ming, or any of the very few people over 7 foot 8. It is crazy rare but they do exist. There isn't too many people in Westeros close to his size, so things can happen. Just like there is some people in the real world even way shorter then Tyrion (Peter)

Three dogs on the Clegane banner. Could that possible match three very large Clegane brothers, Gregor, Sandor and...Hodor?

, it is because Cleganes father saved Lord lannisters life from a Lion, he was the kennel master and his 3 hounds fought off the lion

Genetic experimentation???

Now that you bring it up, what if Tywin was using some weird science as part of an elaborate plan to take over Westeros? 

Tired of being sneered at by Aerys and hungry to become greater than the "we're practically gods" Targaryens, Tywin was secretly using science and magic to create a pure Lannister master race and loyal super soliders to overthrow the Targaryens as the ruling dynasty. It explains so much!

- Tywin married Joanna even though she was Aerys' mistress because she was the ideal female candidate to mother his pure Lannister children.

- To establish his dynasty, two pure Lannister embryos (one male and one female) were created as perfect pairing to keep bloodline pure. Joanna delivers healthy golden Lannister super twins. Success!

- Sonething goes wrong with second male child. Joanna dies birthing a dwarf child lacking desired pure Lannister traits. Tywin suspects Aerys' interference. That is no son of his but he cannot say anything without giving himself away. Complete failure.

The Cleganes were selected as the Lannister bannermen in the first trial of super soliders designed to be large, unnaturally strong, brutally efficient killing machines with unquestionable loyalty. Mixed results.

- Summerhall. Tywin's undercover plant Maggy the Frog convinces Egg he can hatch dragons. Significant number of Targs eliminated. Tragedy used to engender obsession with prophecy in Targaryen family.

- Pycelle. Helps Crown Prince Rhaegar come across obscure reading to furher prophecy obsession. Ensures Princess Elia cannot carry third  dragon

. Qyburn. After getting kicked out of the Citadel, Qyburn turns to his cousin and mentor, Lord Tywin. His loyalty shows in his time with Jaime - he saved as much of Jaime's arm as he could. Even after Tywin's untimely death, Qyburn is dutifully continuing Tywin's work by serving Cersei  and building unstoppable monsters to defend House Lannister.

Sorry, OP. I got carried away (^-^)

Genetic experimentation???

Now that you bring it up, what if Tywin was using some weird science as part of an elaborate plan to take over Westeros? 

Tired of being sneered at by Aerys and hungry to become greater than the "we're practically gods" Targaryens, Tywin was secretly using science and magic to create a pure Lannister master race and loyal super soliders to overthrow the Targaryens as the ruling dynasty. It explains so much!

- Tywin married Joanna even though she was Aerys' mistress because she was the ideal female candidate to mother his pure Lannister children.

- To establish his dynasty, two pure Lannister embryos (one male and one female) were created as perfect pairing to keep bloodline pure. Joanna delivers healthy golden Lannister super twins. Success!

- Sonething goes wrong with second male child. Joanna dies birthing a dwarf child lacking desired pure Lannister traits. Tywin suspects Aerys' interference. That is no son of his but he cannot say anything without giving himself away. Complete failure.

The Cleganes were selected as the Lannister bannermen in the first trial of super soliders designed to be large, unnaturally strong, brutally efficient killing machines with unquestionable loyalty. Mixed results.

- Summerhall. Tywin's undercover plant Maggy the Frog convinces Egg he can hatch dragons. Significant number of Targs eliminated. Tragedy used to engender obsession with prophecy in Targaryen family.

- Pycelle. Helps Crown Prince Rhaegar come across obscure reading to furher prophecy obsession. Ensures Princess Elia cannot carry third  dragon

. Qyburn. After getting kicked out of the Citadel, Qyburn turns to his cousin and mentor, Lord Tywin. His loyalty shows in his time with Jaime - he saved as much of Jaime's arm as he could. Even after Tywin's untimely death, Qyburn is dutifully continuing Tywin's work by serving Cersei  and building unstoppable monsters to defend House Lannister.

Sorry, OP. I got carried away (^-^)

thats okay it was actually intersting. Though its highly unlikely. But Cleganes being genetic experiments  is something i can get behind. 

Although people who meet Dunk are openly impressed with his stature, at no point does it become clear that his height or size is abnormal enough to be so unique that you could trace his ancestry all over Westeros. Westeros has lots of 'big men'...big women too, look.

Alysane Mormont
Sandor Clegane
Gregor Clegane
Robert Baratheon
HODOR
Jon Umber
Brienne of Tarth

That's a list compiled from memory with the help of AWOIAF. I'm sure there are plenty more. It's a broad group too. South and North.

Perhaps Dunk sired a whole bunch of Bastards all over Westeros but I doubt it. He's too damn chivalrous. And with that in mind, I'm going to say that my favorite candidate for Dunks descendant is: Brienne. I swear she is basically the same character as Dunk. Only with lady parts.

Anyway, all these big people are very spread out and I don't see enough of these big people in service to house Lannister, most are actually opposed to him. Qyburn will buddy up to any fool who'll allow him to perform his experiments. Winning over Cersei was a sinch.

Could just be a case of imposing individuals being diverted or attracted to that line of work. some big farm boy has the choice of scraping a living off the land, or becoming a household guard, maybe eventually a knight, etc. Not likely that there are a large number of people that size, but likely that people that size get into fighting (whether or not they are good at it, their size can often dissuade someone from doing something stupid - like a bouncer in a club)

modern times we see large and or tall individuals diverting to sports like american football or basketball. i never met exactly one 6'5" 325 lb person in my life, yet the NFL is full of them.

Three dogs on the Clegane banner. Could that possible match three very large Clegane brothers, Gregor, Sandor and...Hodor?

Every one forgets their sister.... But yeah, like Wavey Sauce said, it's because of the three dogs that killed the lion.

Could just be a case of imposing individuals being diverted or attracted to that line of work. some big farm boy has the choice of scraping a living off the land, or becoming a household guard, maybe eventually a knight, etc. Not likely that there are a large number of people that size, but likely that people that size get into fighting (whether or not they are good at it, their size can often dissuade someone from doing something stupid - like a bouncer in a club)

modern times we see large and or tall individuals diverting to sports like american football or basketball. i never met exactly one 6'5" 325 lb person in my life, yet the NFL is full of them.

There's a world of difference between 6'5" and 7', though. Physically, most seven-footers aren't capable of maneuvering well, especially if they're heavier. That's why someone like Gregor Clegane is so freakish; almost every eight-footer in recorded history has needed braces to walk or are bedridden.

I know that in a savage world like Westeros, physical specimens are drawn to combat, even if it weren't a mark of high stature. But the sheer number of physically fit seven-footers (Yohn Royce, Sandor Clegane, Left & Right, Hodor, Jon Umber pere and fils) is mind-boggling, even for a land that size.

The Clegane brothers Gregor & Sandor is known for their heigh and strenght . The Mountain is one of the biggest men their is in the world. Are the Cleganes just big or are their something about their bloodline. Could they descend from Duncan the tall , the Umbers etc. Or could they be the result of some genetic experiment ? . They are also good fighters so they might be Dunk descendants. 

There are a number of very tall people in the books. Nothing else to see here. Move along 

Although people who meet Dunk are openly impressed with his stature, at no point does it become clear that his height or size is abnormal enough to be so unique that you could trace his ancestry all over Westeros. Westeros has lots of 'big men'...big women too, look.

Alysane Mormont
Sandor Clegane
Gregor Clegane
Robert Baratheon
HODOR
Jon Umber
Brienne of Tarth

That's a list compiled from memory with the help of AWOIAF. I'm sure there are plenty more. It's a broad group too. South and North.

Perhaps Dunk sired a whole bunch of Bastards all over Westeros but I doubt it. He's too damn chivalrous. And with that in mind, I'm going to say that my favorite candidate for Dunks descendant is: Brienne. I swear she is basically the same character as Dunk. Only with lady parts.

Anyway, all these big people are very spread out and I don't see enough of these big people in service to house Lannister, most are actually opposed to him. Qyburn will buddy up to any fool who'll allow him to perform his experiments. Winning over Cersei was a sinch.

I think Hodor is a  Dunk descendant too. 

There are a number of very tall people in the books. Nothing else to see here. Move along 

Tall people yes. But the Mountain is huge. 

One of Brans tree visions had a woman who reminded him of Nan kissing a very tall knight, and I do think that knight was Dunk, so he would be hodor's great Great grandad. 
As for the mountain, yes he is the biggest man in the story, but  in relation to all of the exceptionally tall people in the books , we do not need to look to magic or westerosi genetic engineering. The clegane family is very tall.  

One of Brans tree visions had a woman who reminded him of Nan kissing a very tall knight, and I do think that knight was Dunk, so he would be hodor's great Great grandad. 
As for the mountain, yes he is the biggest man in the story, but  in relation to all of the exceptionally tall people in the books , we do not need to look to magic or westerosi genetic engineering. The clegane family is very tall.  

Yes , there are peolple who are very tall and i thinking more in the lines of the Cleganes being Dunk descendants to. If thats the case we have three places to find Dunk descendants .

Hodor- Halfwit

Brienne- A good knight

Cleganes- Bad Knight 

Archived