The Man in the High Castle [Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

I didn't quite buy DJ Qualls - he seemed far too nice (I was hoping he was resistance) and didn't really get enough screentime to convince me Frank deserved his devotion.

My headcanon (and I can't possibly be alone in this) was that Ed was hopelessly in love with Frank.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

My headcanon (and I can't possibly be alone in this) was that Ed was hopelessly in love with Frank.

That would have worked really well. I was discussing this with someone at work how I was surprised the show didn't have a gay character who was forced into hiding this due to the fact it wasn't  something the Nazis approved of.

I think I will accept this headcanon of yours and hope it's actually expanded upon within the show.

Watched it as ever late to the party. Generally loved it, my issues were: Joe, no idea what the hell he's doing, and not in an interesting way, he just seems to flip flop. And not knowing what's going on with the rest of the world.

Not sure how I felt about Tagomi mediating himself into another reality. But I hope I understood it right and that the films show multiple possible timelines not just ours, because that's A. more interesting and B. makes Joe and Frank turning up in one actually make sense.

But the general feel and terror of looming war is great.

• 6 months later...
On 12/29/2015 at 9:35 PM, Isis said:

I I'm sold on the interaction between him and Juliana. 

Interesting - in my mind, the two leads are the weakest parts of the show. I like the other actors/ characters well enough, especially Joe's superior & the two Japanese officers but imo, Joe and Juliana add almost nothing to the show. The show's worst parts were when we were with the two of them & burn gorman - I just don't find their relationship compelling - that probably has more to do with how poorly written those two characters are as opposed to a mark against the actors. 

I think I'm interested enough in S2, but i hope we don't see Joe again & the writing improves. 

I quite like Juliana. But Joe is an issue, he flips and flops with the wind, and due to the format and his personality, it's very hard to get any read on him, not in a mysterious way, but in a way that makes it seem like he doesn't care about anything.

I just watched this in the last month and I really enjoyed it.  I thought the atmosphere was great and many of the performances by the non-two main characters were very good. Sewell does awesome IMO.

Glad there is a second season as I really want to know more about the films.

I have always loved the title The Man in the High Castle as well.

On 7/23/2016 at 3:50 AM, Raja said:

Interesting - in my mind, the two leads are the weakest parts of the show. I like the other actors/ characters well enough, especially Joe's superior & the two Japanese officers but imo, Joe and Juliana add almost nothing to the show. The show's worst parts were when we were with the two of them & burn gorman - I just don't find their relationship compelling - that probably has more to do with how poorly written those two characters are as opposed to a mark against the actors. 

I think I'm interested enough in S2, but i hope we don't see Joe again & the writing improves. 

I was so annoyed they didn't just kill him when they had him unconscious on the ground.  He seems to be one of those villains who will survive every improbability.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2 Synopsis and pictures:

http://screenrant.com/man-in-the-high-castle-season-2-images-amazon/

“Season two resumes with Juliana Crain (Alexa Davalos) facing the consequences of her decision to betray the Resistance and allow Joe Blake (Luke Kleintank), a suspected Nazi agent, to escape the Pacific States with a film originally bound for the Man in the High Castle. Joe himself returns a hero to the Reich and finds himself thrust into the Nazi capital of Berlin, face to face with the father who abandoned him. Meanwhile, Frank Frink (Rupert Evans) becomes increasingly radicalized and drawn further into the Resistance after seeing images of his own execution in the mysterious films.

With political tensions mounting between Germany and Japan, Trade Minister Tagomi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) begins to regret his success in smuggling nuclear technology from the Reich and seeks solace in the strange new world he discovered at the end of season one. Meanwhile, Obergruppenführer John Smith (Rufus Sewell) struggles to reconcile the values of the Reich with the deteriorating health of his son — all while tasked with a mission from the Führer for which failure is not an option. And Chief Inspector Kido (Joel de la Fuente) begins to take greater interest in the Man in the High Castle, the films, and how Juliana Crain is connected to it all…”

• 1 month later...

I think PKD always intended to do a sequel so that might be why the book was open-ended (I still need to read the book). The reason he didn't was because he said it was a horrible place to go getting inside the heads of some of the Nazi higher ups. Which is fair enough.

The show feels like it has the scope to last longer than a season although i hope it doesn't get to crazy with alternate worlds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.10.2016 at 6:30 PM, red snow said:

I think PKD always intended to do a sequel so that might be why the book was open-ended (I still need to read the book). The reason he didn't was because he said it was a horrible place to go getting inside the heads of some of the Nazi higher ups. Which is fair enough.

The show feels like it has the scope to last longer than a season although i hope it doesn't get to crazy with alternate worlds.

Oh, I hope it does go crazy with the alternate worlds.

Archived