What do you think the Skagosi will actually be like?

Floki of the Ironborn

I agree with you, but I would rather say they are an islander version of mountain clans. Maybe once they were naval-focused, but if I remember correctly, the last time they rebelled, Winterfell burnt their ships and forbade them to construct any serious naval force ever again.

By naval, I mean small long ship like craft. Akin to what the Bear Islanders used to sneak attack the Iron Islanders.

Stuff used to get around the island, but not ideal for war or trade.

I'm more interested in how many men they can yield since it's quite obvious IMO they will join Rickon and thus either the Northern Army or king Stannis and the Northerners, to be able to hold there ground for a while  against the Starks of WF they must have at LEAST 5k troops.

They live on a rocky island, isolated, in the far north, with small amounts of food, and harshest winters. I don't think they can provide more than 800-1,000 fighting men.

I think they can field several thousand men.To be precise, I believe that all Skagosi can take arms when necessary, which explains why they held their own against the Starks.
Why? Well they live on islands with a rough climate, and have been known to engage in cannibalism in times of hunger. I think this means they have a society in which all adults must be able to fish or fight if necessary. The weak (the elderly and the disabled) are probably the first to be sacrificed to the Old Gods. I wouldn't be surprised if their women were just as fierce as the men.

What's surprising is that we don't know more about them though. I know some have joined the NW over the centuries, but they pretty much live in isolation. How do they survive exactly? Are they mostly fishermen or whalers? Skagos is described as mountainous, so it's unlikely they have much agriculture.

As to them being a sea power:

The people of Skagos tended to cross the Bay of Seals to trade and raid on the mainland until King Brandon IX Stark broke their power, destroying their ships and forbidding them the sea.

So, while they may have fisher boats, they wouldn't have any warships.

Also, from the wiki, two interesting quotes:

They are considered a backward folk, rumored to still perform human sacrifices to weirwoods, [...] lure passing ships to destruction with false lights.

There are several tales about the Shivering Sea, including queer lights shimmering in the sky, where the demon mother of the ice giants dances eternally through the night, seeking to lure men northward to their dooms.[...] Other tales also mention pale blue mists moving across the waters, so cold they freeze any ship they pass over; drowned spirits that rise at night to drag the living down into the depths; or mermaids of pale flesh and black-scaled tails, far more malign than their sisters to the south.

These references to "false lights" or "queer lights" are interesting. Are they a natural phenomenon, or do the Skagosi light fires deliberately? Could magic (ice magic) be involved?
Also, since they are descended from First Men, could the Skagosi have warging abilities of some sort?

Lastly there's the fact that we know some ships have ended on Skagos:

The galleys Oledo and Old Mother's Son are driven onto the rocks of Skagos after setting sail from the Wall.Cotter Pyke sees the wreckage of a galley along the coast of the island.

Were there any survivors? What did the Skagosi get from the wreckage? This detail may prove of importance later in the story. It's possible the Skagosi no of the coming Long Night and are better prepared than anyone else.

I think they can field several thousand men.To be precise, I believe that all Skagosi can take arms when necessary, which explains why they held their own against the Starks.
Why? Well they live on islands with a rough climate, and have been known to engage in cannibalism in times of hunger. I think this means they have a society in which all adults must be able to fish or fight if necessary. The weak (the elderly and the disabled) are probably the first to be sacrificed to the Old Gods. I wouldn't be surprised if their women were just as fierce as the men.

What's surprising is that we don't know more about them though. I know some have joined the NW over the centuries, but they pretty much live in isolation. How do they survive exactly? Are they mostly fishermen or whalers? Skagos is described as mountainous, so it's unlikely they have much agriculture.

As to them being a sea power:

So, while they may have fisher boats, they wouldn't have any warships.

Also, from the wiki, two interesting quotes:

These references to "false lights" or "queer lights" are interesting. Are they a natural phenomenon, or do the Skagosi light fires deliberately? Could magic (ice magic) be involved?
Also, since they are descended from First Men, could the Skagosi have warging abilities of some sort?

I can agree with the added note that with a thinned population and a harsh environment they would have a guerrilla fighting style placing strategy over strength.

Using queer strategy's it would explain why they were a problem in rebellion, also could explain using tricks and abilities like maybe abusing a lighthouse's power in the rebellion or using wargs to disrupt communication.

Also considering such a small population they would have heavy and specialized training and lots of organization.skill over numbers.

Considering my assumptions this would be extremely useful for Rickon considering such a ruined northern army,with strong opponents. assuming that he comes of age by the end of winds of winter.

I think Skagos has fallen victim to rumors...and usually when people create whispers and rumors they tend to get grow into their own, and people start believing them.  When not many things are known about a place, rumors are created, stories and tales are told, and before you know it...those tales grow into their own and people start believing them to be true, regardless of how screwed up they may sound.

The Skagosi have houses and coat of arms (House Magnar).  They were strong enough to wage war with the North for years.  There are records of Skagosi people being part of the Nights Watch.  They have a trading system in place in which they trade fur and other goods.  They (at least at one time) had warships.  They even still practice the First Night.  There is actually nothing indicating the people of Skagos are the neanderthal corpse-eating citizens the rumors all make them out to be.

Besides....one point people seem to be overlooking is....Osha took Rickon there ON PURPOSE.  Do we honestly think that Osha would take Rickon Stark to escape Winterfell, and take him to a cannibal nation on purpose?  Osha clearly knows what's going on in Skagos and does not view the island as a threat at all, but rather a safe spot for her and Rickon.

Bottom line is, Skagos has a dread reputation based solely on rumors and old wives tales, and nothing is based on factual evidence.

I think they are going to be similar to feudal northerners - they have castles, they have coats of arms.  They are considered bannermen to the Starks, they are not Free Folk and not the same as the more primitive tribes south of the Wall that are still referred to as wildlings.  I think they are just really isolated so rumors have room to grow freely without much interference from people saying "That's not true, I've met Skagosi". Most of the rumors about wildlings have some basis in truth, because Northern feudal civilization has pretty regular contact with them, and if someone goes around saying that wildlings are 8 foot tall fur covered cannibals that's going to be corrected by one of the thousands of people who have been to the Wall and seen them.  I think they probably encourage the isolation and maybe even the rumors.  Think Northerners who are isolated and probably have more contact with Wildlings and Essosi than the people they pay fealty to.  The large goats seen in the vision are probably the source of the unicorn stories - probably livestock or even riding animals well adapted to mountainous, rocky terrain.  Maybe they traditionally cut off one horn to sell and leave one on so the animal can still defend itself from wildlife.

They'll be the terrible cannibals we expect and have already killed Rickon long ago. Davos will have several chapters if searching Skagos, being misled by the Skags to believe they have a wolfboy king. We and Davos go along this long journey, finally getting to the climax- and Rickon will have been long dead. He is, after all, the "shaggy dog" of the story. 

Bottom line is, Skagos has a dread reputation based solely on rumors and old wives tales, and nothing is based on factual evidence.

Well, there is the fact that the Starks didn't subdue them easily. That should be enough to expect either numbers or fighting abilities, or both.

They'll be the terrible cannibals we expect and have already killed Rickon long ago. Davos will have several chapters if searching Skagos, being misled by the Skags to believe they have a wolfboy king. We and Davos go along this long journey, finally getting to the climax- and Rickon will have been long dead. He is, after all, the "shaggy dog" of the story. 

It's likely Rickon himself doesn't end up being important. It's unlikely he'll ever be old enough to hold any actual power, and his siblings are all more likely to inherit the North than he is (not to mention the fact that they all have pretty sweet abilities).

But I would expect the Skagosi to play a role however. First, because the Starks are in dire need of troops. Second, because they have obsidian.

So, while I agree that Rickon himself won't amount to much, I'd say he may prove important to the overall plot, by bringing fresh forces to the fight. Whether the Skagosi can be trusted though, is another question.

Archived