Legends of Tomorrow. Caution, the *spoilers* may unravel your space-time continuum

Bastard of Boston

I'm feeling some serious comic book fatigue.  The trailer might look great, but it doesn't get me excited.  The tv landscape is just so saturated with comic shows.  Plus, the whole idea of time travel and getting frustrated when changes in the timeline don't have the proper effects on the sister shows seems like it will be super annoying.  

Quite impressed with that trailer. I have a soft spot for time travel, I know it can be a dangerous road to go down when in theory you can undo any event and thus remove the peril, but there's still plenty of good stories to be told. I'm sure they've been pretty selective with scenes in the trailer, but it looks expensive as well. Not sure I believe that of every person who ever lived since forever, heatwave is in the top eight heroes. Maybe there's some kind of 'Flash and Arrow are too important in their own time' explanation, probably the same for the 'Men of Steel' and 'Dark Knights'. Be good when this starts and Arrow and Flash can go back to doing their own series instead of setting up Legends.

Seriously? :D

Title is not in reference to characters. Title is in reference to the detox required after a half season of Arrow.

My bad. I see what you're saying.

At this point, it feels like they are purging all the secondary characters from The Flash. Which is a good thing. It was feeling pretty cluttered.

Bleeding Cool is reporting a rumor that Legends of Tomorrow will return again next year, but with a new cast rotated in. One of the cast members is said to be Constantine...the one we know from the NBC show and guest appearance on Arrow. They're also saying Steven McQueen -- the Vampire Diaries guy who's been campaigning to play Nightwing for years -- will also be included in the series as an unnamed hero.

• 2 weeks later...

Bleeding Cool is reporting a rumor that Legends of Tomorrow will return again next year, but with a new cast rotated in. One of the cast members is said to be Constantine...the one we know from the NBC show and guest appearance on Arrow. They're also saying Steven McQueen -- the Vampire Diaries guy who's been campaigning to play Nightwing for years -- will also be included in the series as an unnamed hero.

That would be pretty cool if it's true. I'd especially like it if Captain Cold ends back up on Flash eventually.

I found this that seems to support that.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/legends-tomorrow-premiere-date-synopsis-5-reasons-new-show-will-be-good-flash-arrow-1512895

5. Show's new format: Unlike Arrow and The Flash the new show will be an anthology series. Legends Of Tomorrow showrunner Phil Klemmer told Screen Rant, "It's an anthology show. This is not designed to go forever. This season is meant to be standalone... I mean not as anthological as True Detective."

"But not everybody will be continuing on this journey... It's not going to begin Season 2 with us all hopping back on the same ship and like 'Let's get Vandal! Let's get him for real this time!' This is not traditional episodic television," Klemmer teased.

in other  words they are being sensible and giving themselves the flexibility of getting rid of characters people hate unless they do an Arrow and insist on keeping the chararcter everyone hates present.

Personally I'm wary of Hawkman/girl. One of them is pretty bad so I'm surprised they decided to inflict two of them on us. Luckily they are probably present due to Vandal Savage so are the most likely to disappear at the end of the season.

The cool thing about the show is that they can use it to bring Supergirl into the fold by having timelines altered to fit. They mention BAtman and Superman in a way that suggests they have existed just not in the current timeline.

I'm feeling some serious comic book fatigue.  The trailer might look great, but it doesn't get me excited.  The tv landscape is just so saturated with comic shows.  Plus, the whole idea of time travel and getting frustrated when changes in the timeline don't have the proper effects on the sister shows seems like it will be super annoying.  

I know how you feel. I don't want comics to account for most of my TV viewing time but between Marvel and DC there's a lot of shows around (Marvel has 4 ongoing shows assuming Jessica Jones gets a second season and DC has Supergirl, Arrow, Legends, Flash, Izombie and Gotham - with more to come in the form of Lucifer and Preacher). That's 12 and I'm not even counting Walking Dead in there. It really has become on a level with cop/legal shows. I guess CSI tended to crossover and encourage viewers to watch them all too. At least the comic shows appear to be more distinct than "being in a different place" although I think someone could make an argument that the differences between the CW shows aren't that great once you get past the powerset.

I'll watch it but probably once I have the whole season saved up.

The cool thing about the show is that they can use it to bring Supergirl into the fold by having timelines altered to fit. They mention BAtman and Superman in a way that suggests they have existed just not in the current timeline.

Yeah, that was a weird line I thought. So Superman and Batman exist in the future of this CWverse? Or in an altered timeline like Supergirl's CBSverse? Also, pretty sure Sarah Lance was dead in the last episode of Arrow I watched, so that's interesting.

Arhur Darvill seemed cool, which is the main reason i'd be watching it.

Yeah, that was a weird line I thought. So Superman and Batman exist in the future of this CWverse? Or in an altered timeline like Supergirl's CBSverse? Also, pretty sure Sarah Lance was dead in the last episode of Arrow I watched, so that's interesting.

Arhur Darvill seemed cool, which is the main reason i'd be watching it.

Recent episodes of Arrow have explained Sarah Lance. Actually, Arrow and Flash have wasted a fair amount of their screentime setting up this show so that I hope it's worth watching as otherwise it's managed to screw with the shows I am watching (I'm on an Arrow hiatus at the moment as there's more wrong with that show that setting up legends).

I think we all know exactly what this show will be....lol.... hacky, sometimes infuriatingly so... it won't always make sense... But for comic nerds the good will outweigh the bad and it'll be fun.

Given the Flash we can expect some atrocious time-travel logic (or complete lack thereof). For me Flash manages to outweigh the stupid with the fun. Arrow is failing miserably though (even though it's rarely as dumb as Flash meaning it's really lacking in the fun department).

This still looks extremely ambitious. Good to hear it's planned to be a sort-of anthology series, given the close focus on stopping Savage that has been presented in all promotional material so far.

Given the Flash we can expect some atrocious time-travel logic (or complete lack thereof). For me Flash manages to outweigh the stupid with the fun. Arrow is failing miserably though (even though it's rarely as dumb as Flash meaning it's really lacking in the fun department).

You don't think Damien Darhk is hilarious?

I actually think Arrow is generally doing pretty well this season by its own standards, whereas The Flash is kind of retreading a lot of ground it covered last year.

Setting up Legends has resulted in some bad and some really entertaining episodes on both shows, though.

This still looks extremely ambitious. Good to hear it's planned to be a sort-of anthology series, given the close focus on stopping Savage that has been presented in all promotional material so far.

You don't think Damien Darhk is hilarious?

I actually think Arrow is generally doing pretty well this season by its own standards, whereas The Flash is kind of retreading a lot of ground it covered last year.

Setting up Legends has resulted in some bad and some really entertaining episodes on both shows, though.

He's the best thing about the season but he's really underused. It feels like he just sits around with stooges failing at collecting artefacts plus the occasional pep talk with Det Lance.

Hopefully it'll pick up as they enter something resembling a season arc.

If this first season goes well, they've really laid some groundwork to pounce if the new Batman/Superman movie lands with a thud (not that it isn't going to make money).  They're poised to remake things in a television format and "correct" the woes of the movie side.  If the movie goes well, then they're poised to play off of it without looking like they're stepping on toes.

• 1 month later...

Archived