I'm an Ass

Seventh Pup

So I thought we had a thread like this a while ago. But searches pulled nothing up. If there is another "I made an ass out of myself" thread out there please merge away.

This thread is to share those cringe worthy moments when you just suddenly realized you where the ass in a situation...

What is prompting this. This morning I went to the grocery store to buy all the things I need for Thanksgiving. I buy turkey, potatoes, the whole nine yard. An older lady is who is my cashier. First thing I did wrong was get into the express lane by mistake. (This was a store that I hadn't been too in a long time and didn't realized the set up until I was at the cashier.) The one thing that made this less awkward was that there wasn't many shoppers yet, my mistake didn't hold up the line. I'd also forgot my bags in the car, so she needed to bag my stuff.  Next thing that was problematic was that I put the wrong number on a bulk item. It was supposed to be a 6 but I wrote it like a 0.  Finally I looked at her and smiled "Any plans for Thanksgiving?" Her face was an immovable piece of granite when she said "No. You?"

And suddenly I realized what a personal question that is. It's asking about her family, her friends, and other personal things in one fowl swoop. It's not really the right thing to ask of a total stranger who's just trying to get through their work day. So yeah I'm a jackass. How about you?

I don't think you are a jackass. :) 

I know jackass customers lmao and maybe you were a bit awkward but all on accident and not malicious. 

I sometimes find myself realising I'm not as nice as I think I am when I completely ignore people trying to talk to me when I'm walking to and from work, they might be with charities or whatever but I'm like NOPE and walk right on past...that's very rude of me really and I should smile more maybe...

Sometimes when I'm feeling ugly and self conscious I can be very moody and I don't like people looking at me so I don't speak to people or smile very much but mostly I'm quite pleasant in work and crack jokes a lot but I can accidentally be quite rude when I'm just stomping around work (you can't do much other than stomp in the heavy boots I favour :P) and being all sad/moody.

And here i thought the Dear donkey threads were returning...

I agree with Theda, you dont seem like an ass in the situation at all, especially re: your question. Smalltalk is the best part of the job for a lot of till Ops, just so happens you got someonr unresponsive. Dont let it worry you too much :)

I realised that i can be way too impatient with people (especially tourists) whem i am out and about. Yes, I live hwere and want to get from A to B quickly, but its the capital, tourism and shopping trips aare a huge industry here. I should try remembering that instead of losing my patiene with slow walkers, people taking photos in the middle of a street etc. 

Trust me I usually follow that.  This particular store was 10 items or less. I just went to the cashier closest to the exit where I was parked, there was no line, I didn't realize I was in the express lane until I'd already loaded all my groceries and the cashier had started checking, at that point I felt like it would be even more awkward to have her stop checking load everything back in the cart, and transfer line. I did apologize for it though. :mellow:

If there was no one else in the line and it was an accident I wouldn't worry about it. I have a major pet peeve for people who get in the 10 items or less line with a cart full of groceries in front of a bunch of people who are just buying a couple of items. This attitude they have that their time is more important than everyone else's. Really irks me. And the cashiers never stop them or make them go to a normal line. Can't blame them though I suppose...not getting paid enough to get into a confrontation with someone like that especially if the manager is the "customer is always right" type. 

I came up with my own solution but of course have no power to implement it. You can get in the 10 items or less line with as many items as you want, but you get charged a $5 convenience fee for every item after the 10th. That'll stop 'em pretty fucking quickly. 

If there was no one else in the line and it was an accident I wouldn't worry about it. I have a major pet peeve for people who get in the 10 items or less line with a cart full of groceries in front of a bunch of people who are just buying a couple of items. This attitude they have that their time is more important than everyone else's. Really irks me. And the cashiers never stop them or make them go to a normal line. Can't blame them though I suppose...not getting paid enough to get into a confrontation with someone like that especially if the manager is the "customer is always right" type. 

I came up with my own solution but of course have no power to implement it. You can get in the 10 items or less line with as many items as you want, but you get charged a $5 convenience fee for every item after the 10th. That'll stop 'em pretty fucking quickly. 

I completely disagree with your laissez faire attitude towards allowing this violation to occur if there is no one else in line. I'm a no tolerance express laner. Either have the rule or dont have the rule. The $5 service charge is a pretty cool idea though.

I never misbehave but I'm very judgmental and spot people acting like asses all the time. Here are a few catch all tips on how to go through life without being an ass:

1. Whichever country you live in walk on the sidewalk the same way cars drive on roads.(US Right/ UK Left)
  2. When ordering food/coffee/whatever don't get in line at (insert store here) until you know what you plan to order.
  3. When filling your gas tank, complete gas fill and then park car away from tanks if you need to go into the store for anything else other than just paying cash for gas.

There are many more but these are some of the most basic.

When filling your gas tank, complete gas fill and then park car away from tanks if you need to go into the store for anything else other than just paying cash for gas.

I thought it is not allowed to move your car until you have paid for your gas. Is that different in the USA?

I thought it is not allowed to move your car until you have paid for your gas. Is that different in the USA?

In the US if you're paying with cash you have to go inside and pay first, then go back out and pump the gas. Or that's how it is in Florida in any case. 

Ok great that you know that too, because I was already wondering if I was making that up. :leaving:

no, i mean, i imagine filling your car up and then moving it to go and park somewhere else would have a few people working in the gas station running out like WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU HAVENT PAID 

I'd say 80% of the population outside of New Jersey pays at the pump with a credit card. I think NJ is the only state that is all full serve. A smaller population will have to go into the store to pay cash ahead of time.

I'm talking about the people who pay at the pump, leave their car there to block anyone else from pumping and then head into the store to get their ding dongs, lottery tickets and cigarettes. Move your damn car out of the way! Its a big problem in the morning when i have to fill up.

I'd say 80% of the population outside of New Jersey pays at the pump with a credit card. I think NJ is the only state that is all full serve. A smaller population will have to go into the store to pay cash ahead of time.

I'm talking about the people who pay at the pump, leave their car there to block anyone else from pumping and then head into the store to get their ding dongs, lottery tickets and cigarettes. Move your damn car out of the way! Its a big problem in the morning when i have to fill up.

oh yeah - that's totally obnoxious. 

I didn't even know there was still full service anywhere in the US. I hate full service gas. There is no self service in Jamaica and getting gas takes fucking FOREVER if there's a crowd cause there's never more than one or two attendants working the pumps. Just let me do it my damn self. 

I guess it creates some jobs though so I dunno...

Not a case of me being an ass but this conversation reminded me for several reasons about an occasion when I worked at a gas station many years ago. Guy paid for something, seemed to have trouble making small talk but wanting to, on his way out he backed away smiling and said "I suppose it's time to say congratulations? " I had no idea what he meant. "Ehh? Umm... " I'm thinking do we know eachother and I am supposed to remember something? I looked around awkwardly for a second and saw some "mother's day" signs we had put up. It was mother's day. Oh no. :lol: Clue: I am not a mother and I wasn't pregnant. 

He was smiling and doing thumbs up. I mustered a sour thanks as he walked out. Maybe that was a bit dickish of me but I didn't feel like having that conversation with random customer person. And didn't feel like making him even more awkward about talking to cashiers lol

I love the full-service stations when I go through Jersey. I hate pumping gas. I wish we had the same thing in Maryland.

I wouldn't mind an option on a couple pumps that were expressly full service (with a higher gas rate for anyone without a handicap sticker), but I don't want to pay for it.  Buying 25 gallons of gas every fill-up is already expensive enough, I don't want an extra $1 or $2, plus the confusion of if I need to tip or not when I can just as easily stick it in a hole and hold a lever down/lock it in place.

I wouldn't want that cost passed on to everyone just so those that are lazy can avoid pumping.

Archived