[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

First 3 episodes have been great - this show's the real deal.

The handling of the Martians is great. The interrogation worked nicely for the characters too. chrisjen is working really well (funny how you don't need the swearing and that the "I'll stab you in the chest while smiling" works just as well).

I'm possibly misremembering but the show has switched relationship Amos had with Holden to Naomi, right? Pretty sure that's how it was in the books. It does give the Holden cast more to do though than simply all being connected to Holden and I get the impression Amos builds trusting relatinships anyhow so can add Holden to his list. It just seems important given the amount of times he puts his life on the line for Holden.

Amos relationship with Naomi is how it was in the books. 

Just watched episode one and I thought it was ok but frankly I'm a little underwhelmed. It seemed quite disjointed and a bit unfocused. The acting and effects were good but it didn't grab me.

My advice is to keep going. It gets better - MUCH better - with each successive episode through 4.  

Just watched episode one and I thought it was ok but frankly I'm a little underwhelmed. It seemed quite disjointed and a bit unfocused. The acting and effects were good but it didn't grab me.

Have you read the books? the Pilot biggest problem is that it is has too many threads and characters it has to establish and not nearly enough time to do it. I think they would have been much better off making it 2 hour pilot, but I believe that got the go ahead to series before they even finished the pilot. If you read the first book, it is easier to follow what is going on, on it.

As for the series (at least the first 4 ep), Wow.

They have made a lot of changes, but most I understand, and get why they did that. Best example is the scene w/ Miller and Havelock where it is explained that in a few generations Belters won't look much like humans, while showing the Belters to be tall, skinny almost all have some abnormal parts them, was probably the best route. I don't think CGI or making costumes would work to show the way the are made to appear in the books, so showing it at an earlier time from was a good call.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the camp that both Amos and Naomi were miscast, but I can live with it if they couldn't find a competent enough actor/actresses that had the physical characteristics that the characters have in the novels. That being said, just for the sake of it, I was wondering if anyone had any casting suggestions for these two characters that they think could have worked better (i.e. more truthful to the physical characteristics in the novels)? If not, I don't think I could find any real reason to complain... 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Naomi I believe is the one character of the Rocinante who matches her description (except less Belter like).  Amos is repeatedly described as bald (and I think older).  Holden and Alex are both of course older in the books.  

Not that this really matters.  I think all of the actors are doing a fine job in their role.  I've only watched the first 2 eps so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Naomi I believe is the one character of the Rocinante who matches her description (except less Belter like).  Amos is repeatedly described as bald (and I think older).  Holden and Alex are both of course older in the books.  

Not that this really matters.  I think all of the actors are doing a fine job in their role.  I've only watched the first 2 eps so far.

Noami is described as a mix of Asian, South American, and African. She has typical belter features and is described as being nearly two meters tall. I'm pretty sure this would make her the tallest on the Rocinante, with the exception of possibly Bobbie. She is also described as having black curly hair. 

So no, not really. They got the African and curly hair. They skipped on the rest. 

Amos is repeatedly described as tall, meaty, burly, stocky, and broad shouldered. He is pale-skinned with receding red-brown hair, but is mostly bald. 

Noami is described as a mix of Asian, South American, and African. She has typical belter features and is described as being nearly two meters tall. I'm pretty sure this would make her the tallest on the Rocinante, with the exception of possibly Bobbie. She is also described as having black curly hair. 

So no, not really. They got the African and curly hair. They skipped on the rest. 

Amos is repeatedly described as tall, meaty, burly, stocky, and broad shouldered. He is pale-skinned with receding red-brown hair, but is mostly bald. 

I just don't understand complaints that actors in a  tv show don't look exactly like their counterparts in the book, like that matters. What's the difference of whether Naomi looks black or black/asian? What does it matter if Amos has a receding hair line/bald or has a buzz cut? Who cares? All I care is if they get the characterization right from a personality wise, whether their actions match up with what we expect. I'm far more annoyed that Alex turned into a "glorified bus driver" for no reason than whether Amos is bald or not. Actors aren't easy to find, let alone perfect replicas of book characters. In The Martian, they changed the main Indian character because the guy they signed backed out due to other commitments and replaced him with whoever was available. Did it detract from the movie? Not even a little bit. This stuff happens, just don't know why people focus so much on it.

I feel like this has been discussed before...

The actor will be 30 in March.

I can't find anything on Cas Anvar's age, but he's been acting since 1992.  His first three credits are as an arcade "owner," police sergeant, and doctor, so I don't think he started acting as a fresh faced teen.  That probably puts him around 45-50.  How old is Alex?  I'm not sure, but we know he was in the Martian Navy for 20 years, assume he joined at 18 (I think it was said in Nemesis Games but I don't remember confidently).  What I'm not sure about is how long he's been out, 10 years?  Maybe 15 tops, I'm fairly confident it hasn't been 20.  If it's been only 10, then the actor's age is right in line the character's.  I tried looking it up but couldn't find it with the searches I tried.  I think he only did the planetary shuttle work for about a year (or was it only six months) before he signed on with a long-haul ship.

So I just read GRRM's update on TWoW and he mentioned how unique it was that GoT was put into production before ASoIaF was done.  He was quoted as saying that he wasn't aware of that happening anywhere else.  Couldn't he have thrown a bone to the Expanse here?  ;)

As far as Alex goes, the crazy thing about him is that he looks to me like a mix between Daario 2.0 in GoT and Raffi from The League.  It's constantly distracting.  Am I crazy?

Archived