[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

On 2016-01-20 at 5:54 PM, Spockydog said:

I've now come to terms with the fact that Show Ava is a different character from the books. But I'm really warming to her.

Perhaps the events of this season is what turns her into the person we know from book 2 onwards.

I just realized why Alex has the accent he does. When I read the books, accents is one thing I don't think about. In my mind, Alex has always been Indian, maybe mixed with a bit of something else. Then I remembered that Mars had received a good amount of Texas settlers.

Attention to detail is always appreciated in an adaptation.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I just realized why Alex has the accent he does. When I read the books, accents is one thing I don't think about. In my mind, Alex has always been Indian, maybe mixed with a bit of something else. Then I remembered that Mars had received a good amount of Texas settlers.

Attention to detail is always appreciated in an adaptation.

It's interesting that they went with a realistic Texas accent. I was almost expecting an exaggerated cartoon Texas accent.

On 1/22/2016 at 2:12 AM, SpaceChampion said:

Perhaps the events of this season is what turns her into the person we know from book 2 onwards.

I've actually come to find show Ava so much more terrifying than book Ava could ever be.  Cursing on screen just doesn't come off the same way cursing on page might.  People in positions of power who belittle and swear a lot don't really look powerful, they just look like assholes.  At least that's my impression.  Don't get me wrong.  On page it works really well, she's a thoroughly enjoyable character and I feel her power just fine.  In reality, I think of people who belittle, humiliate and swear to get people to do what they want and I'm reminded that they just come off as assholes and I start to want to do things to undermine them in some way.  Like, it was totally obvious to me that her assistant in the book was going to betray her.  

On the show, her power is very apparent.  We know she can and will destroy people's lives, livelihood, vineyard dreams, etc.  We can see that feels strongly about the humanity and value of each life but still won't hesitate to torture or end that life.  I can only see these quiet displays of her power to grow as things become more urgent.  

I like both Ava's, but I think making show Ava more like book Ava would undermine the character they've created. 

Syfy could never have gotten away with Ava's swearing. I agree she seems far more dangerous in the show than she does in the books. Plus the actress is really good, I can imagine her performance could sway the writers to make it suit her interpretation (assuming she had some input in the approach to the character).

I've just finished Nemesis games and I'm looking forward to the possibility of seeing those events play out on screen. 

On 1/22/2016 at 11:22 PM, GrimTuesday said:

Man, This show is so good, I love basically everything about it, from the interiors and and the way things are lit, to the performances, especially the actors who play Amos and Alex. 

It really does shock me that my favorite characters in the show are these two as well. When the cast was announced, these two were by far my biggest headscratchers as they do not look anything at all as to how I pictured them. Both of them have absolutely owned their roles, and now, I don't think I could ever read these books again without seeing their faces in my mind.

I've definitely warmed up to this show in a big way after a slightly underwhelming start. Most of the actors are doing a really good job of embodying their characters, especially Amos, even if they don't necessarily look quite how I pictured them. I also really appreciate the slow pace and world building.

Yet another great episode. The Miller-Holden convergence was really well handled. Loved the shoot out.

I don't recall any hint from the book that the guys that attacked them were U.N. Black Ops. I always assumed they were working for that shadowy organization.

Two more episodes to go.

It's probably because I've finished Nemesis Games but Amos is killing it. His eyes in the hotel lobby were excellent - this is a guy primed for violence and he saw it from the outset. I also liked Amos' appraisal of Miller as he got into the lift. Weirdly, Miller seemed to double in size in those scenes and felt more intimidating. He's essentially been a bit of a loser so far so it makes a nice contrast to see him being proactive.

I like how Amos isn't the superdude that the rest of the crew are (unless he's flying a ship).

I can't remember if he was in the books but I hope we get to see the guy with spy-eyes again.

I guess vomit zombies are going to be this season's finale. I can see why keeping Miller around for another season may be a good choice plus they can probably merge some of Caliban's war with the end of leviathan. I know my criticism of book 2 was that it felt a little bit like a retread of book 1 again. It may upset purists but I'd be happy if they took some liberties and merged the storyline.

I'm getting ahead of myself but I wonder if Cibola Burn will air as the sole story? I think it would be a bit risky to do in TV and would probably benefit from having Ava, Bobbie and possibly the Butcher keeping us informed of elsewhere. Hope it gets there though!

14 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I love these books like fat people love cheese, and I love Daniel and Ty.  I mean really, I fangirl this series so much it hurts.  I've met Daniel and if I were to see him again I'd probably be more excited than I was meeting Scott Lynch, and that's saying something.

However, I think because I love it SO MUCH I fell into the trap some fans fall into where their expectations of book to screen don't mesh and it is a letdown.  SO I have some complaints.

I'm incredibly frustrated with the pacing.  They talk about a bunch of obscure ship names, obscure fake political factions, and asteroids most people haven’t heard of for 7 episodes with not much to go on as far as what direction they're taking the whole thing, and then almost - ALMOST explain a little and end it.  They could have started with Julie Mao being found dead and it would have worked better.  Maybe it would have killed the Miller story, but I’d be ok with that – we didn’t need 7 episodes to explain that a shoddy, pseudo-dirty cop falls in love with the idea of his kidnap job. Also, how in the HELL can they POSSIBLY finish the book by the end of the next two episodes?!?!  Is that the plan, anyway?

The show isn't terrible by a long shot and I LOVE the casting choices, the acting has been all I could hope for, but looking at the show from the perspective of someone new to the series, I am unsure I'd be able to recommend it unless the next several episodes make it worthwhile.  I expected more from the retreat of the Donnager and after that the action doesn't get interesting until they get to Eros.  Which took... EIGHT episodes out of the TEN for the entire season.  Sigh.

Kinda confused by what you said here. On one hand you say that you're a fan of the books, but then you don't like that they tried to be as faithful as possible to the book by doing Miller's story.

And no, season 1 will end with the events on Eros. The last episode is called Leviathan Wakes, so Eros's awakening. It may be that book 2 will be more compressed in the next season, to still have Thomas Jane in season 2 as much as possible. We'll have to wait and see for that one.

9 minutes ago, matt b said:

Anyone else spot Dan & Ty on Eros? They were right in front of Miller once he first arrives. At least, I'm pretty sure it was them.

It was them. I missed Daniel but saw Ty very clearly.

Yeah, it is really a shame they didn't get 13 episodes for the first season.  I think they were screwed either way.  The pacing, character development and world building would have been terrible if they rushed through to get to Eros crashing into Venus.  On the other hand, they now got stuck with having to find a reasonable climax with which to end the first season which has slowed down thing a bit too much in these last couple of episodes.  

That said, I wonder if they are going to do away with the visit to Thoth Station entirely now that they have some secret special safe they recovered from the Anubis.  If this thing contains the protomolecule sample and some sort of info on what group has been cultivating the protomolecule weapon, then is there really a point in going to have a shootout in the hallways of some station called Thoth?  I think if they skipped Thoth and skipped going back to Tycho, there is a lot of condensing and adjustment of plot that could be done to get to a more satisfying ending for season 1.  

General complaint about the episode, it was too dark.  I understand the desire to make that sort of style choice, but I had to readjust my tv settings to something atrocious and ugly just to see what was going on in certain places.  

12 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Well, we don't find out until episode 2 that the UN was heavily involved and avasarala's second was in charge. It makes sense to fill that in a bit and bring avasarala into it more.

I think that Fred Johnson's will realize from the detailed drive signatures that the ships that blew up the Donnager were from Earth. And then he'll flag the nearest Martian task force to get the UN battleship off their backs.

Archived