[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

10 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

That's definitely where the books are going.

Reveal hidden contents

There was that whole thing where the ships going through the gate were randomly disappearing and the reporter lady asked Holden to check with UnMiller if it was aliens. Holden says it's probably not aliens, just humans being dicks to each other, like they always are. Then at the end, they figure out it was totally aliens.

51914-Aliens-guy-owvj.jpeg

Okay, I totally missed that. I thought the disappearing ships were also due to the Mars-OPA extremists conspiracy. You know, since they don't want people leaving for the new planets.

I need to reread the goddam book.

16 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

As much as anything I've ever watched, I'll really need to re-watch and pay close attention between now and S2

Some Easter eggs to look out for:

• Subway map of Ceres in episode 1 has a station that's in honor of Chad Coleman's character in The Wire (Cutty).
  • When Miller is looking through the dating profiles in episode 2 the data broker's says "I will be your sherpa". "Sherpa" was the password to get into a meeting with him.
  • Apparently the self-destruct screen on the Donnager in episode 4 is very similar to one in Alien.
  • The night club on Ceres in episode 6 is called Tech Noir, which is also the club in Terminator 1 where Arnold caught up with Sarah Connor.
  • Ship names in episode 8 when Miller goes through what's docked at Eros.
  • Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck appear on screen walking in front of Miller in episode 8 when he's debarking at Eros.

And probably a bunch more that I don't know about.

• 1 month later...

I am assuming it is a Polynesian actress since it sounded like they were adamant about keeping true to book Bobbie. But now I'm very curious. Karina Lombard, Vaitiare Hirshon, Kelly Hu, Sarona Reiher(aka Tamina Snuka)? Who am I kidding, it's the Rock.

Hmm, isn't Bobbie suppose to be really tall, like 7ft?  The first three you named are in their 50s too.

I'd suggest Keisha Castle-Hughes since she is at least the right age, but 5'2" would be a stretch, unless they use visual tricks.

Manu Bennett in a wig.

Impression I have is that it's *not* a Polynesian actress.  There is a followup tweet as well saying that she is Polynesian in the books which can read that she's not in the show, and that first tweet could be getting out there in front to defend the show saying - "you guys know it was really important to us and we just couldn't get someone that fit it all, this is the actress we wanted given all that and we fought for her".  If they coulnd't do Polynesian I'm hoping she's African or African American.

11 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Hmm, isn't Bobbie suppose to be really tall, like 7ft?  The first three you named are in their 50s too.

I'd suggest Keisha Castle-Hughes since she is at least the right age, but 5'2" would be a stretch, unless they use visual tricks.

Manu Bennett in a wig.

Yeah they may be a bit old to play Bobbie but Keisha Castle-Hughes isn't physically imposing at all. Sarona Reiher would be perfect. She physically looks the parts and the Bobbie Draper role doesn't exactly require a classically trained actress. Just be a badass. From the articles and tweets, it sounds like they have always wanted a Polynesian for the part and they cast one of their first choices, again pointing towards a Polynesian.

My bet is: non-caucasian that could pass for Polynesian to a American audience (which frankly leaves a fairly wide ethnicity range), relatively tall and athletic and some acting chops (whether experienced or not).  How Naomi was cast is probably a good guideline for what you should expect (I ended up loving Dominique Tipper in the role, personally).

EDIT: So re-reading what I just wrote ... is Gina Torres a viable option?

Hmm.  On the one hand, Gina Torres' Zoe in Firefly has so many elements of Bobbie that it could world.  On the other hand, there's that age issue where she might be a bit too old to play Bobbie.  Though to be honest, I really can't say how old Bobbie actually is or even if her being young is really all that important.  There always just seemed to be this sort of innocence about Bobbie, which I do think is important and could really be included regardless of age.  

Either way, we need Gina Torres in space again ASAP.

I think I had her pegged around late 20s/30, although I'm questioning that now...maybe more mid 20s.  She's experienced enough to be a veteran marine and an exemplar of that, but young enough that she's still there rather than being promoted or discharged.  The innocence absolutely is important, layered over a core of intelligence that Avasarala can sense.

by the end it (show) had diminished from how big it seemed at the start.    that's.... headed in the wrong direction, no?    Didn't seem like they did enough with the bits and pieces they established, it all began feeling very sluggish like it was covering the same ground far more than a regular audience would want.  

it's like the set-up for season 1 was stretched and made into the entire enchilada instead, and the payoff one normally expects at the end was deleted (or so depressing it felt like an anti-payoff).  Are we doing that now?  Is season 1 to be considered a mere prologue to the actual meat of the story which we reach only in season 2?   Because what's to prevent them from just postponing the payoff yet again, at which point you've wasted an additional season watching this and have more reason to hate yourself for being doubly fooled.  

Maybe they didn't get the number of episodes they'd initially wanted for the season due to money?  Eh.

I received the dvds for The Expanse, and quit after the fourth episode.  So dreary, so predictable, so dull, without a single interesting character -- and oh lordessa the mise en scenes were so cheesy and fake.  For some reason I'd felt obligated to watch this because . . . why?  It's sf?  But I am not obligated.  So I quit. :cheers:

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

I received the dvds for The Expanse, and quit after the fourth episode.  So dreary, so predictable, so dull, without a single interesting character -- and oh lordessa the mise en scenes were so cheesy and fake.  For some reason I'd felt obligated to watch this because . . . why?  It's sf?  But I am not obligated.  So I quit. :cheers:

booooooooooo

50 minutes ago, Zorral said:

11 minutes ago, Relic said:

booooooooooo

I duplicate Relic's sentiment.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I think you really just posted to rub in that you had the dvds.

4 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I think you really just posted to rub in that you had the dvds.

I didn't know they were available, so at least his post sent me to Amazon for the blu rays.

What I can't get over is the fact they he stopped after episode 4.  That shit was amazing.

Archived