[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

I clearly had a very different mental image of Amos to everyone else, I'm very happy with how he's looking.  I probably pictured him slightly bigger, but I didn't see him as a giant - that's Bobby. He's muscled and most importantly he has a very physical presence and I was absolutely getting that when he was following Naomi around.  Naomi is great, Alex is perfect, and they absolutely nailed Holden in this first episode.  Miller very much seems to not get that he's the joke just like he shouldn't, sure he takes the bribe but then he beats the guy up when the filters fail!

On Miller not realising that he's washed up, I think that will have to play out slightly differently in the TV show (or at least, have a different impact). In the book you only get Miller's PoV, so finding out that everyone thinks he's a joke changes your perception of him as a character quite a lot (in the same way that the revelation hits him). In the TV show it's going to be a lot more obvious, especially if they keep adding scenes like the one where he tries to hit on his colleague at the bar (at least, I thought that was a new scene for the show...don't remember it in the book). I guess the general TV audience is used to flawed leading characters these days, so maybe they'll be OK with it.

Also, I think they changed it so that it was Havelock's first day on the job? Seemed a little unnecessary, but I guess it helps justify some of the initial exposition a bit more.

ST

I thought it was good. They did a good job with exposition though it's a bit hard to judge having read the book, and all the cast seem to fit (Holden in particular looked a lot less boyish than I expected). It looks way more expensive than I would've gathered from the trailers.

Was the torture scene from the books at any point? Avasarala seems darker than I remember.

Yeah, I don't see book Avasarala torturing people at all. That really caught me off guard.

They definitely changed the character, but it was still nice.

Contrary to what I've read here and there, Amos is exactly how I pictured him. Only younger. But I didn't picture Naomi like that at all. And I don't mean her looks but rather her attitude and the way she acts. She seems very different from the Naomi I imagined reading. I seem to be in the minority though about those two characters.

(Something quite insignificant but that really surprised me: why did they keep a Nigerian name for Ade, if the actress they cast wasn't Nigerian at all?)

I don't remember any torture scene but I'm only finishing Caliban's War now. My impression is that scene was added more for exposition, i.e. the physical differences between belters and earthers, and revealing most of the shows politics, conspiracies through Avasarala.

ETA: I would think more of the OPA angle would be revealed through Miller and Anderson Dawes, like in the series.

I only ever read the first book. How loyal to the books content do you guys feel the show is?

From what I remember pretty loyal. Most of the differences are subtle ones linked with worldbuilding through a visual medium and also probably wanting more viewpoints for world-building (and because GOT suggests people like multi-thread plotting).

Avasrala being present at a torture scene is the only addition I'm not so sure about it. She can be ruthless but I felt she was more about the deniability and nothing has happened in the show to warrant that type of behaviour from someone who appears to be "president of earth".

From what I remember pretty loyal. Most of the differences are subtle ones linked with worldbuilding through a visual medium and also probably wanting more viewpoints for world-building (and because GOT suggests people like multi-thread plotting).

Avasrala being present at a torture scene is the only addition I'm not so sure about it. She can be ruthless but I felt she was more about the deniability and nothing has happened in the show to warrant that type of behaviour from someone who appears to be "president of earth".

Wait what? Avasrala isn't even in the first book, if I'm remembering things right.

I think they brought Avasarala in early because she's such a brilliant character. In the books. Unfortunately for the show, what makes her so memorable is her potty mouth.

I doubt she's going to be anywhere near as awesome in the show.

They decided to put her to show more of the political upheaval that Holden's broadcast creates, which was not seen in the first book.

I'm not sure if I like this. Seems like a filler story just from the sake of world building.

I think they brought Avasarala in early because she's such a brilliant character. In the books. Unfortunately for the show, what makes her so memorable is her potty mouth.

I doubt she's going to be anywhere near as awesome in the show.

Can't they go full Galactica and replace 'fuck' with some other word? I hope so.

Can't they go full Galactica and replace 'fuck' with some other word? I hope so.

It would be hilarious if they just used bleeps. "Holden, I've had enough of your bleep bleep bleeping bleep. Get your bleeping bleep back out there and bleep bleep bleeeeeeeeeeeep!"

The entire rest of the book series explores just this very topic (the consequences of Holden's big mouth), so this particular criticism is odd.  

Pretty sure if you read my first post, you'd know "I only read the first book".

I loved almost everything about the pilot. I wanted to talk about some of the one off characters in it. Of course it was easy to recognize Jonathan Banks, but I was really happy to see Kristen Hager as well. In this series, she played Ade who was Holden's fling on the Cantebury. I loved her in the American version of Being Human, and it was great to see her in this.

Also, Florence Faivre jumped completely out of my imagination to play Julie Mao. She is almost exactly as I saw her when reading the books. I really hope she is available in a couple of years to play my favorite character in the book series, her sister, Clarissa

Pretty sure if you read my first post, you'd know "I only read the first book".

Oh, I read it. I just think it's useful to directly point out when people are talking from a place of ignorance without flames, which is better than what others in the thread might have dealt you. 

It's tricky as ideally you need it to have the same harshess as "fuck" and there's only so many ways of doing that (starting with "f" anyhow) and "frell" "frag" and "frak" are already taken. they could do it.

A more imaginative way would be to use new slurs eg have derogratory versions of "belter" and "Gravity well" folks that evoke extant slurs today (there's plenty to pick from). They'll be nouns rather than verbs though. The belters could arguably have a curse word of there own from their emerging melting point language.

Given the imagination in the pilot, I suspect the writers will have found a way around it that works. The actors seem good enough to pull it off as well which was what made "frak" work in BSG. There's a risk of being silly otherwise and that completely misses the point.

Archived