[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

I honestly thought book 1 had the least feels, but that may be because it's been the longest since I read it.

I'd say largely tied with 4. Although 4 had great comedy in the celebrity crush on Holden and the way that was resolved.

I've just finished Nemesis Games (book 5) and it was fantastic. Lots of feels. I really hope they'll be allowed to go the distance with the series to be able to see some of those scenes on TV.

I've watched the pilot three times and there are some problems with it as a stand-alone pilot episode (the first scenes on Ceres especially) but I think it shows promise, especially Jim and crew. The space scenes looked good, and even though I didn't imagine Ceres to be so polished and high-tech I liked the low-G effects there. Don't really like Thomas Jane so far, but if it doesn't get better it won't be for long.

I've just finished Nemesis Games (book 5) and it was fantastic. Lots of feels. I really hope they'll be allowed to go the distance with the series to be able to see some of those scenes on TV.

No doubt about it.  I hope that it doesn't say something about me that I really want to see Earth in ashes... :leaving:

Watched the pilot, and enjoyed it a lot.  However, I had one really major concern.

This may be how it always works with complicated universes like this, but I watched the pilot with two friends who weren't familiar with the books.  They had absolutely no clue what was going on, especially with the stuff on Ceres. I feel like the inners vs. belters tensions were something they needed to develop over a few episodes, not just dump it out there in the first episode. I think there is very little chance my friends follow up on the show.

Watched the pilot, and enjoyed it a lot.  However, I had one really major concern.

This may be how it always works with complicated universes like this, but I watched the pilot with two friends who weren't familiar with the books.  They had absolutely no clue what was going on, especially with the stuff on Ceres. I feel like the inners vs. belters tensions were something they needed to develop over a few episodes, not just dump it out there in the first episode. I think there is very little chance my friends follow up on the show.

These friends... do they watch GoT? And had they read the books prior to watching GoT? If yes on first question, and no on the second, how did they feel about that first episode in GoT?

Anybody else watch all four episodes yet? 3rd and 4th streaming on SyFy https://t.co/Xdl4vImKoH

Wow, great stuff.  I'd say the Expanse show feels more GOT than the Expanse books do, actually.  I like Amos.  The actor sells it.  Crisjen is fantastic.  I think they're doing a great job with all the characterizations, though it can feel a bit unsubtle in moments, but that's from the perspective of someone who knows the books.  The end of ep 4 is exciting -- finally the Roci!

Now this is space opera.  Wish I could binge the rest now.

First 3 episodes have been great - this show's the real deal.

The handling of the Martians is great. The interrogation worked nicely for the characters too. chrisjen is working really well (funny how you don't need the swearing and that the "I'll stab you in the chest while smiling" works just as well).

I'm possibly misremembering but the show has switched relationship Amos had with Holden to Naomi, right? Pretty sure that's how it was in the books. It does give the Holden cast more to do though than simply all being connected to Holden and I get the impression Amos builds trusting relatinships anyhow so can add Holden to his list. It just seems important given the amount of times he puts his life on the line for Holden.

Really good first 4 episodes. Miller and Naomi are my favourite parts so far. My main/only nitpick would be that those Martian armour suits looked very low budget in some of those close up shots, which is the first time I've been taken out of the moment by it. Chad Coleman as Fred Johnson is a bit weird, but too early to judge.

What's up with the episode releases, by the way? First one came out weeks ago, then three in one hit. 

I watched the first episode last night and aside from a few quibbles I really liked it. I'm on the fence about Avasarala so far and while I like that she's been introduced in the first season, I'm not quite sure what the purpose was in bringing her in for the first episode. 

I'm in the camp of Amos not looking like I had imagined him from the books. I'd imagined someone more physically imposing and intense, but it's definitely not a deal- breaker for me. Everyone else is more or less spot on except I imagined Naomi as being several inches taller than Holden and that Miller would be much more world- weary and broken down looking, but again, I'm just picking nits. Can't wait for tonight's episode!

Should have mentioned that. The Amos casting was terrible. The one characteristic they had to have for the character is physically imposing, and they didn't come close.

Avasarala is nothing like she is in the books. I understand the no cussing, but where is the sarcasm?

Really good first 4 episodes. Miller and Naomi are my favourite parts so far. My main/only nitpick would be that those Martian armour suits looked very low budget in some of those close up shots, which is the first time I've been taken out of the moment by it. Chad Coleman as Fred Johnson is a bit weird, but too early to judge.

What's up with the episode releases, by the way? First one came out weeks ago, then three in one hit. 

According to Reddit, Comcast for some reason had episodes 3 and 4 available to stream before episode 2 aired. So of course 3 and 4 were immediately available to torrent.

I guess the network decided that since the torrents were up, they might as well make them available legitimately.

I'm only up to episode 2, will probably watch 3 & 4 tonight. I'm really enjoying it so far. Only minor nitpicks with not very imposing Amos and  Avasarala lacking her books vocabulary. And was really hoping Soren was in the series. The real nitpick I have is the audio. Sometimes it is very quiet. I could barely make out that Belter Avasarala was interrogating.

I'm only up to episode 2, will probably watch 3 & 4 tonight. I'm really enjoying it so far. Only minor nitpicks with not very imposing Amos and  Avasarala lacking her books vocabulary. And was really hoping Soren was in the series. The real nitpick I have is the audio. Sometimes it is very quiet. I could barely make out that Belter Avasarala was interrogating.

Yeah pretty much all of this. I turned on closed-captioning during last night's episode so that I didn't miss any dialogue. Doesn't bother me much to do that but it shouldn't be a requirement to understand what's being said.

Amos might grow on me, we'll see. He's nothing like what I'd pictured, but at least he seems dangerous.

Avasarala, well...I like the actress, but the character is completely different from the books and in my opinion not nearly as interesting.

I'm up to episode 4.

I thought episode 2 was a step down from the pilot. Basically everything I saw in the shuttle felt off - the physics, the characters and the dialogue, and I thought it took up too much screen-time. I started liking Miller's scenes better though.

Episodes 3 and especially 4 really picked it up though. The end to 4 when we saw the "Tachi" take off and start firing gave me goosebumps.

Though Amos isn't how I pictured him (I thought of a big version of Herk from The Wire) I think his personality is showing. He's fiercely protective and trusting of a few select people, of which only Naomi is one so far. I don't know how to interpret Amos' and Naomi's relationship though - is he having romantic thoughts or is it just puppy-love while she's thinking about another (Holden I presume)?

I thought the sound was bad in the pilot, but it got slightly better in the following episodes.

Besides the slow-ish episode 2 I think the story is moving at a good pace, and the mystery is unfolding nicely.

I'm up to episode 4.

I thought episode 2 was a step down from the pilot. Basically everything I saw in the shuttle felt off - the physics, the characters and the dialogue, and I thought it took up too much screen-time. I started liking Miller's scenes better though.

Episodes 3 and especially 4 really picked it up though. The end to 4 when we saw the "Tachi" take off and start firing gave me goosebumps.

Though Amos isn't how I pictured him (I thought of a big version of Herk from The Wire) I think his personality is showing. He's fiercely protective and trusting of a few select people, of which only Naomi is one so far. I don't know how to interpret Amos' and Naomi's relationship though - is he having romantic thoughts or is it just puppy-love while she's thinking about another (Holden I presume)?

I thought the sound was bad in the pilot, but it got slightly better in the following episodes.

Besides the slow-ish episode 2 I think the story is moving at a good pace, and the mystery is unfolding nicely.

I did like the coriolis effect when Miller was pouring the alcohol in episode 2. It was a nice touch.

Archived