Is Rodrik a knight?

teemo

I'm having a debate with my friend.  According to AWOAIF there aren't really any knights in the North, but I think Rodrik was an exception, people only call him "Ser" because he's a castellan, and there are no other examples of knights in the North he can think of.  He says there is no evidence to suggest that he is.  Thoughts? 

Rodrik Cassel was one of several exceptions; others include Ser Bartimus of the Wolf's Den, Ser Jorah Mormont, knighted by King Ropert at Pyke for valour in the field, and, naturally, all the New Gods-friendly Manderly knights. Alyn of Winterfell and Bran aspired reasonably to become knights. According to Maester Luwin briefing Bran, the North can in fact boast quite a few knights; not the thousands of the south, but not a mere handful, either.

“How many knights?”
“Few enough,” the maester said with a touch of impatience. “To be a knight, you must stand your vigil in a sept, and be anointed with the seven oils to consecrate your vows. In the north, only a few of the great houses worship the Seven. The rest honor the old gods, and name no knights…but those lords and their sons and sworn swords are no less fierce or loyal or honorable. A man’s worth is not marked by a ser before his name. As I have told you a hundred times before.”
“Still,” said Bran, “how many knights?”
Maester Luwin sighed. “Three hundred, perhaps four…among three thousand armored lances who are not knights.”

So, Robb musters 3-400 knights to go South...as this isn't the entire Northern force, presumably there would be more 

I'm having a debate with my friend.  According to AWOAIF there aren't really any knights in the North, but I think Rodrik was an exception, people only call him "Ser" because he's a castellan, and there are no other examples of knights in the North he can think of.  He says there is no evidence to suggest that he is.  Thoughts? 

My thought is that you friend has a very selective memory. Its very clear that Rodrik is a knight and that there are knights in the North. I can suspect some reasons for this but I can't prove it in any way.

Your friend is either lying or he has a very bad memory. 

So, Robb musters 3-400 knights to go South...as this isn't the entire Northern force, presumably there would be more 

The term knight is not a specific military unit, it is a honorary title. 

Maester Luwin sighed. “Three hundred, perhaps four…among three thousand armored lances who are not knights.”

The three thousand armoured lancers that Luwin talks about here can be every bit as good as a knight, if not more. They just don't have that honorary title, which is usually only bestowed on followers of the faith of seven.

Sandor Clegane is not a knight, but he is still the equal of almost any knight, isn't he ? 

In short what is important in the real world isn't what title a person holds, but their training and equipment. 

The term knight is not a specific military unit, it is a honorary title. 

The three thousand armoured lancers that Luwin talks about here can be every bit as good as a knight, if not more. They just don't have that honorary title, which is usually only bestowed on followers of the faith of seven.

Sandor Clegane is not a knight, but he is still the equal of almost any knight, isn't he ? 

In short what is important in the real world isn't what title a person holds, but their training and equipment. 

ok...but I wasn't disputing any of that. I was just providing a quote to show that yes,not here are knights in the North, and Rodrik is not just an exception as the OP states. By not being the entire Northern host, I meant there were presumably more men that could be mustered given time - e.g. Many of the men Manderly has in Dance with Dragons

There are two ways to become a Knight. The first way is to be knighted by a septon. That way is only open to followers of the Seven. However the otjher way is to be knighted by another knight. Anyone can be knighted by a knight. Thus there are a few Northern knights and even that one Ironborn knight.

There are two ways to become a Knight. The first way is to be knighted by a septon. That way is only open to followers of the Seven. However the otjher way is to be knighted by another knight. Anyone can be knighted by a knight. Thus there are a few Northern knights and even that one Ironborn knight.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard of septons/priests bestowing knighthoods, neither in ASOIAF nor in real life.

IIRC, Martin said that knights can only be made by other knights, or by king.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard of septons/priests bestowing knighthoods, neither in ASOIAF nor in real life.

IIRC, Martin said that knights can only be made by other knights, or by king.

He got it wrong, a knight is anointed with the seven oils by a septon, but they are knighted by a knight. 

Rodrik is a knight. He's refered as "Ser", which is privative of southron cavalry knighted knights, and some northerners.

My guess is that he was knighted for participating in the Greyjoy Rebellion? We know that Jorah was knighted by the king himself because of his actions there. But I doubt, at least in the case of Rodrik, that he followed the squire-knighted process.

Archived