What would your reaction be if stannis was alive next season?

Stag_legion

You mean the IB(Iron bank). Which is true. I also think most would probably put the blame on melisandre for the burning, especially if stannis makes it clear that he regrets the decision. Although I can't deny that the show definitely put stannis in a problematic situation story wise.

Keep in mind the Iron Bank still backs the IT as well. Last episode Mace Tyrell was shown there paying some debt and chilling with Tycho

His tragic story ended perfectly. He lost his daughter, wife, advisor, right hand man, army and life. Stannis has nothing left. He's not even likable enough to be a sidekick.

After rewatching his arc, TV Stannis just comes off as dumb. All the time, actually. I don't see the tragedy as much as I see a mentally disabled child. Which could be tragic, just not in the way I think they meant it. Like that whole melisandre choking thing- she has powers and you're going to choke her? Is that particularly bright? Is burning your only heir bright? Is going straight to winterfell without getting a town as a base bright? Is going to the Iron Bank without any leverage bright? Is holding 4000 on a 50 kilometer Island bright? Is burning mance bright? Is bringing your daughter and heir on a march bright? Is buring men on the beach because "infidel" bright? Is lucking up your only friend bright? The one smart thing he does is go North. Show Stannis is mentally disabled. There is no rational for his behavior, I mean I guess you can claim religion, but no religious person I ever met is that kind of dumb, unless they have an actual disability.

After rewatching his arc, TV Stannis just comes off as dumb. All the time, actually. I don't see the tragedy as much as I see a mentally disabled child. Which could be tragic, just not in the way I think they meant it. Like that whole melisandre choking thing- she has powers and you're going to choke her? Is that particularly bright? Is burning your only heir bright? Is going straight to winterfell without getting a town as a base bright? Is going to the Iron Bank without any leverage bright? Is holding 4000 on a 50 kilometer Island bright? Is burning mance bright? Is bringing your daughter and heir on a march bright? Is buring men on the beach because "infidel" bright? Is lucking up your only friend bright? The one smart thing he does is go North. Show Stannis is mentally disabled. There is no rational for his behavior, I mean I guess you can claim religion, but no religious person I ever met is that kind of dumb, unless they have an actual disability.

Burning men on the beach and Mance ( as far as he knew ), locking up davos and holding his army on Dragonstone is things he dose in the books. Burning his heir might happen in the books if he was desperate like in the show. shocking Melisandre is a normal reaction when she promised him victory but instead got his army roasted. He didn't have enough ships and men to go North without Ironbank help, he was desperate. In the show he doesn't have northern support, southerners know jackshit about the North geography.

All your nitpicks are easily explained. I love Stannis , but I whitewashing him. His "fans" created some the honourable genious version of him so that when the show revealed his actual flaws ( all GRRM characters are flawed) they got outraged.

He got Barristaned™ ...

Unfortunately I think you are dead-right.

And props on that term.

And I think it's a perfect term, perfect description.

Stannis is not going down in The Battle of Winter at Winterfell w/ The Boltons like he did in the show, just like Barristan didn't get gotted by Harpys .... D&D Screwed up again.

Unfortunately I think you are dead-right.

And props on that term.

And I think it's a perfect term, perfect description.

Stannis is not going down in The Battle of Winter at Winterfell w/ The Boltons like he did in the show, just like Barristan didn't get gotted by Harpys .... D&D Screwed up again.

Barristan'd - To hasten the imminent departure of a character who will die early in an upcoming edition. 

Stannis in the show is D&D's interpretation of the character from the books.  Stannis fans have also given their interpretations, and from what I've seen, most of them are  vastly inferior to the show's, imo.

What the...!?

How so?

What the...!?

How so?

Because they've turned him into St. Stannis. To them, Stannis is morally justified in everything he does and make excuses for his actions. From murdering Renly to throwing Robb's leech into the fire, Stannis fans continue to insist that Stannis is morally superior to everyone with the argument that he is "the one true king." Some even insist that Stannis had nothing to do with Renly's murder and that it was all Melisandre's doing.

I'm speaking in general terms, of course. I don't mean all Stannis fans are like this, but I've run into enough of them that it almost ruined the character for me. I enjoy Stannis as a character in both mediums, faults and all, and I prefer Martin's gray character and the show's dark gray character as opposed to their whitewashed one.

• 1 month later...

Stannis could escape to White Harbor, grab a boat and row like  Gendry 2.0. For all i know, Stannis may row back to Dragonstone, but end up in Free Cities the same way Gendry attempt to return to King's Landing, but meeting the same fate with Edric Storm. Both will meet and create a new house.

Archived