What would your reaction be if stannis was alive next season?

Stag_legion

I'd be like 'facepalm!!'

Really what would be the point of his existence at that point. He's lost everything... AGAIN! There isn't really an interesting story to tell at that point and it would completely undermine everything that happened last season to make it such  tragic fall from grace. 

Plus it would be another nail in the 'nobody is safe' game of thrones coffin, instead every single death is pointless as characters can just come back to life, ala Walking Dead. How many people do you need fake deaths for before you've destroyed your own story.

I'd be pretty disappointed if he was alive, but I don't see any evidence of it. 

I'd be like 'facepalm!!'

Really what would be the point of his existence at that point. He's lost everything... AGAIN! There isn't really an interesting story to tell at that point and it would completely undermine everything that happened last season to make it such  tragic fall from grace. 

Plus it would be another nail in the 'nobody is safe' game of thrones coffin, instead every single death is pointless as characters can just come back to life, ala Walking Dead. How many people do you need fake deaths for before you've destroyed your own story.

I'd be pretty disappointed if he was alive, but I don't see any evidence of it. 

Fake death fatigue is the least of their problems when it comes to story telling issues.

If stannis were to be have survived it would be different than Jon Snow's case (its not a resurrection). Also three fake deaths (Jon snow, Hound, Stannis) Vs all the real death on the show is really not a big number. especially since they dropped one of the major fake deaths in the books (stoneheart).

It seems to me like you simply don't want stannis' story to continue. You want to be rid of the character.

Nope, as ever thanks for explaining what my opinion on things is, clearly you know more about what I think than I do.

Yeah, Stannis at this point in the show needs to stay dead, his arc is tied up nicely and its a good place to end it. Keeping him around would add nothing and just make last season pointless. 

btw, more than one fake death is more than enough, its a crappy narrative device.

Nope, as ever thanks for explaining what my opinion on things is, clearly you know more about what I think than I do.

Yeah, Stannis at this point in the show needs to stay dead, his arc is tied up nicely and its a good place to end it. Keeping him around would add nothing and just make last season pointless. 

btw, more than one fake death is more than enough, its a crappy narrative device.

The show has done it in a crappy way (that is if he's still alive). Pink letter in the books was well done. it increased the stakes while also making sense in the context of the story. It has been one of the most discussed topics ever since ADWD came out. 

It would be fine if you didn't just read two books that were  build up to cliff hanger after cliff hanger after cliff hanger. And when you start adding up all the fake deaths, fake characters, glamours, red herrings etc it lessens the impact of any event. I read the pink letter and Jons death and just kind of shook my head and felt sad for having my time wasted. 

In isolation I could have enjoyed it, but on top of everything else it just felt like a cheap writing trick to hold the story back.

It would be fine if you didn't just read two books that were  build up to cliff hanger after cliff hanger after cliff hanger. And when you start adding up all the fake deaths, fake characters, glamours, red herrings etc it lessens the impact of any event. I read the pink letter and Jons death and just kind of shook my head and felt sad for having my time wasted. 

In isolation I could have enjoyed it, but on top of everything else it just felt like a cheap writing trick to hold the story back.

I would agree on some level. I think some of the fake deaths are excessive in the books. Stoneheart and Mance could have stayed dead in my opinion. But GRRM might have chosen to go through with these to make the story more intricate. But putting excessive fake deaths aside, I think pink letter alone was good. Its not even a fake death, its leaving a characters fate uncertain. Even in universe the letter isn't accepted as fully legit. It should be categorized as suspense building moment rather than a fake death.

Yeah I'm not totally against the concept of the pink letter, as its a fake out to Jon more than anything. Whether I'd feel it was as cheap without all that came before it, I can't say. 

But as I say, it came on top of a number of events that seemed be desperate attempts to create interest by tricking the reader, which isn't always appreciated.

I would agree on some level. I think some of the fake deaths are excessive in the books. Stoneheart and Mance could have stayed dead in my opinion. But GRRM might have chosen to go through with these to make the story more intricate. But putting excessive fake deaths aside, I think pink letter alone was good. Its not even a fake death, its leaving a characters fate uncertain. Even in universe the letter isn't accepted as fully legit. It should be categorized as suspense building moment rather than a fake death.

Stayed dead? Mance was never dead

I know I just meant he would have died for real.

Of course the mance fake out was a million times better than brienne watching for a candle for several episodes and conveniently walking away just as its lit.

lol yep. I have said in the past that I want show briennes lottery #'s. EVERY person she sets out to look for in that huge ass world she just stumbles upon in perfect situations.

Arya walking around with the hound in the vale......

Sansa just chilling with LF at some random ass in

Stannis in some random ass forest after that joke of a battle, where Stannis was the point man in front of his whole army, yet somehow is in some random tree line that wasn't even shown when the battle was about to take place. Any mediocre military general would at least have their men in the tree line if they were out numbered, and also how Stannis didn't see thousands of men riding at him until one of his soldiers told him so.......(but all that and more was in my Stannis thread that is like 38 pages so wont ramble on here)

But yea Brienne could win the lottery 7 times and get struck by lightning every day with the luck she has

What purpose? Stannis is not AAR, he lost his heir and basically everything. I mean I like the guy that we know from the books, but there is literally no point in bringing him back to next season. They clearly went to Jon's route as a bigger character and he needs to do something. They gave him some of Stannis' stuff probably and some his. On the other hand they probably felt that it would be better just ato fight between Northerners...well Wildlings are from the Real North. That could count too. Even George went on to congratulate Stephane and include him among other long gone characters and I guess he was never that liked by D&D. I'm not saying hated, but to me they misunderstood his chraatcre, because that is not the guy from the books.

What are you talking about "come back"? He's already alive remember he won after Ramsey march his cavalry out onto that ice lake? It was so awesome getting the “Night Lamp” theory confirmed like that. Then Wyman lead a mutiny in WF and killed Roose remember? It was this great feel good moment for the audience right before they got sucker punched by Jon's tragic stabbing after he told the NW he was going to march on WF after getting the PL. Oh wait that was if they did this season right 

Relived, excited, annoyed, anxious?

Would it make the show better if stannis was alive or worse?

Surprised.

i like Stannis. Despite all the horrible, misguided things he's done, I can't help but like him. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the actor. 

But I feel like the character has served his purpose -- at least on the show. The books are another story. 

What are you talking about "come back"? He's already alive remember he won after Ramsey march his cavalry out onto that ice lake? It was so awesome getting the “Night Lamp” theory confirmed like that. Then Wyman lead a mutiny in WF and killed Roose remember? It was this great feel good moment for the audience right before they got sucker punched by Jon's tragic stabbing after he told the NW he was going to march on WF after getting the PL. Oh wait that was if they did this season right 

oh yeah i was at such joy when those things happened  at ADWD ....oh wait maybe I can find it in internet on fan theories ...which people take it as a fact .and dream thats actually what happened in the books

I would like to see dillane again but the character is done and he served his purpose .. There is nothing left for him to do 

oh yeah i was at such joy when those things happened  at ADWD ....oh wait maybe I can find it in internet on fan theories ...which people take it as a fact .and dream thats actually what happened in the books

I would like to see dillane again but the character is done and he served his purpose .. There is nothing left for him to do 

true what I posted could be fan fiction but hey last season clearly was so if we are fan fic at this point might as well give the fans a more satisfying North storyline

Archived