The Stepstones and Westeros

Ser Vampyr

Hey guys, I've been wondering about the Stepstones and its history with Westeros like:

1. Why did Daemon decide to conquer the stepstones?

2.Why didnt  the ironthrone  vassalise the stepstones after Daemon's death or earlier and then intergrated the stepstones with either a lord paramount or merge in with Dorne? 

3. In relation to question two what effect would this potentially have on the relationships with the free cities  of Myr,Tyrosh and Lys?

4.What resources would be avaliable on the stones to make it viable to control?

1. Daemon conquered the Stepstones cause he wanted to rule and his brother wouldn't name him the heir to the throne. So, since he couldn't have Westeros, he decided to make his own kingdom.

2. Daemon, after conquering the Stepstones and being crowned by Corlys Velaryon as the "King of the Stepstones and the Narrow Sea", offered his crown to his brother, the King of the Seven Kingdoms. The Ruler of the Iron Throne, King Viserys, told Daemon to keep his crown.

3. It had a big effect on Myr, Tyrosh, and Lys, as the Stepstones were under the control of the currently united Kingdom of the Three Daughters, aka the Three Whores. When Daemon took the Stepstones, the Kingdom of the Three Daughters continuously fought back until Daemon abandoned the Stepstones and the Kingdom of the Stepstones eventually fell apart.

4. This question we have the littlest amount of information on. At one point they are mentioned as being rocky islands, yet I think we can reasonably assume they are more fertile than say the Iron Islands. We know for a fact that some of the Rhoynish settled their after their war with Valyria. We know the place is infested with pirates, smugglers, and slavers. There has been no mention of great amounts of resources, so I figure we can assume it has no more or less than any other piece of land. So really, it pretty much just average except for one big thing. Control the Stepstones and you control the primary trade lanes between Westeros and Essos. The Narrow Sea has particularly dangerous storms, and despite the risk of pirates the primary method of travel between the two continents is island hopping through the Stepstones. When the Kingdom of the Three Daughters controlled the Stepstones, they cleared out the pirates and then became very rich very fast by charging a toll for safe passage through the islands.

I hope I provided some help answering your questions. Damon Targaryen is one of my favorite characters in tPlanetos's history.

2.Why didnt  the ironthrone  vassalise the stepstones after Daemon's death or earlier and then intergrated the stepstones with either a lord paramount or merge in with Dorne? 

Dorne wasn't part of the Seven Kingdoms at that time, in fact they worked with Daemon's enemies. 

Archived