Hand of the Queen

Damsel in Distress

Tyrion would be an excellent hand of the King. Barristan will remain the Kingsguard commander (unless he dies) and would be replaced by the Dayne guy. Willas would make an excellent husband especially if the Tyrells decide to put an end to the Lannister scheming and open the city to Danny. 

Outside of the Westerlands I don't know why Tyrion would hurt Danys PR very much.  The North and Riverlands will look on him favorably if the Starks/Tullys are around at all, and if he is riding Viserion most people would just stfu anyway.

The people of King's Landing most likely hate him as well for his ruthless tactics before the battle of the Blackwater. As well as that many of them will associate him with the Lannister regime which they seem to have grown less than fond of.

On top of all that is the fact that he is a malformed dwarf with a dark reputation as a kingslayer and kinslayer, none of these facts are very good in Westerosi society, nor will they endear him to the people that Daenerys would be trying to win over

Yes, Tyrion is a bad PR. He is an ugly dwarf, Lannister, kinslayer and kingslayer but with an army of Dothraki, eunuchs, likely Ironborn and foreigners of all kind there is not much of real damage he could do. Daenerys PR is going to be really really bad no matter what.  

Most Likely Queen's Hand ==> Barristan

Who should be Queen's Hand, IMO ==>Willas Tyrell.  Known for his intelligence.  He knows when to hold a grudge and when not.  He forgave Oberyn for his lame legs and knows it was an accident.  We hope it was an accident. 

Who will become Queen Daenerys' Hand of the Queen when she takes back her Seven Kingdoms?

• Jorah Mormont
  • Barristan Selmy
  • Tyrion Lannister
  • Varys
  • Mace Tyrell
  • Trystane Martell
  • Willas Tyrell
  • Gerold Darkstar Dayne

Who is most qualified in your opinion?

Personally, I would choose Tyrion of those you have listed.  I think that he proved himself up to the task during ACOK, and he has a good understanding of the realpolitik of Westeros. He has the ability, he has an old name, and it would be a visible demonstration to the nobility of Westeros that regardless of old ties, Dany is prepared to listen to, and give opportunities to, her subjects. The only other one I can name as worthy of the task is perhaps Barristan, who has also had a powerful position and knows enough about Westeros and its people (something Dany severely lacks). 

Of the others, I don't believe we know enough about Trystane and Willas (who we have yet to even meet) to make an assessment on their abilities; I don't believe Jorah will live to be part of Dany's returning party; Varys is, I think, too closely allied to fAegon and I doubt in any case the nobility of Westeros would accept a foreign Hand; Mace is a yes man - a follower not a leader - based on his interactions with Tywin; Darkstar is too much of a liability. 

I think he meant doran martell

Jeez, he'd be even worse. Nothing would get done during Dany's reign. I'd rather take my chances with the kid. 

Of the ones the OP mentioned, I think Jorah is the likeliest:

Barristan Selmy: I think he'd be dead or relegated to his position as Lord Commander of the KG

Tyrion Lannister: As others said, he's bad PR 

Varys: Unlikely as he's 100% Team Aegon 

Mace Tyrell: He's far too in bed with the Lannisters for Dany's taste, and probably dead soon

Trystane Martell: Like I said, a kid and Doran is no better. And likely to be Team Aegon

Willas Tyrell: Could be, but my gut tells me the Tyrells will sit out the Dance

Gerold Darkstar Dayne: I think he'll be in Aegon's KG

Something like this will have politics written all over it.  You would think the choice would come up as the best person for the job.  Real world puts politics into the mix.

The Vale and Dorne have yet to take damage from the Wot5K and look to be in good positions to negotiate.  Robert Arryn is too young at present but somebody like Bronze Yohn could hold his seat until he comes of age.  Don't overlook the Faith as they're armed and loaded for the moment.  The next Hand could be a man of the cloth.  Hightower and Redwyne are still strong, perhaps one of theirs.

My curriculum vitae is attached for consideration. 

Sincerely,

Lothar Frey

Lothar Frey

The Twins, at the Crossing

[email protected]

Work Experience

Castellan of The Twins.  Managed the household staff.  Counted the incoming revenues.  Paid the bills.  Collected toll.

Significant Accomplishments

Architect of the Red Wedding.  Took down a flaming rebellion.  Hired the wedding band. 

References

Lord Roose Bolton (One Windy Way, Winterfell, the North)

Tywin sacked King's Landing and his men looted the city and still managed to find time to rape women and kill children and his son murdered the king. He still didn't have a hard time functioning as Hand. The smallfolk are likely going to hate the lords no matter what, it's only a question if that hatred is going to boil over. Tyrion functioned fine as acting hand despite that, I think he could again.

Jorah is the best option, he knows when to be reasonable and he was with Daenerys from the start, understand war, westeros and essos, can relate to the smallfolk, i like his sense of logic and his approach to problems... Just let him far away from expensive babes.

Interesting choices.   In that we've never actually even met Willas Tyrell he sure has a fan base.  Sorry, the Tyrell's are in Marg's camp, they won't go for some other queen.   Jorah?   No way.   Ever.  Jorah is well, you've read the books, you know what Jorah is.   I have little hope for Ser Grampa surviving Winds, but he would be a loyal Queensman.  His advice has been spot on thus far.  The most dangerous man in Dorne?   Um no.   Oberyn would have been the best of all choices, but no other Dornishman (or woman) is up to his standard, so they are out.   They're sort of family any way.   Varys is a duplicitous sneak and murderer, so no.   If I can't have Davos on Team Dany, I'm going with Tyrion as the only option for any hope of success she would have ruling Westeros.   Still I hate the idea of Tyrion being further subject to anyone's rule--I want him to rule and govern himself, so maybe there is someone out there who could deal with and for Dany as Queen.   

My curriculum vitae is attached for consideration. 

Sincerely,

Lothar Frey

Lothar Frey

The Twins, at the Crossing

[email protected]

Work Experience

Castellan of The Twins.  Managed the household staff.  Counted the incoming revenues.  Paid the bills.  Collected toll.

Significant Accomplishments

Architect of the Red Wedding.  Took down a flaming rebellion.  Hired the wedding band. 

References

Lord Roose Bolton (One Windy Way, Winterfell, the North)

Don't call us, we'll call you

Jon Connington, CEO

Golden Company®

Given that the story has a generational theme and Martin has said as much, I would expect a mostly younger small council.

I think the Tyrion is bad PR argument needs to play out, Tyrion has taken a lot of shit, Martin loves and he can flip the PR switch anytime he wants and it's not that hard if consider situation Westeros, which is by and large a disaster and getting worse. Sam probably gets a job, he has one of the most evident intersecting plot lines between Jon and Dany. Brienne of Tarth for LC, people think because she is woman it is not possible, but just Nymeria changed Dorne Dany could change Westeros, and Martin has compared her to Nymeria. Master of Whispers, Arya Stark. Master of Coin Sansa Stark. Though Bran would probably be the all time grand champion of Master of Whispers, much like his mentor.

Now I doubt everyone suddenly gets a job, but it is interesting how easily their journeys fit them into Small council roles. Though Jon could also pull of Lord Commander of the KG if the Queen so wishes. Master of Ships, hmmmm need to think about that one. Asha? You know you could put together a pretty damn good all female small council filled with young up and comers if you wanted. I doubt we get that but who knows maybe some of them do end up on the Small council, like Sansa.

Archived