Why hasn't anyone tried to court Randyll Tarly?

devilish

Randyll Tarly is described as a brilliant general. He was the only one capable of defeating Robert in battle and Kevan describes him as a brilliant hand of the King in times of war. However he's also extremely ruthless. In fact he was ready to kill his own son to ensure that the Tarly family remains strong and fear. Surely such character would have had to control his fiery temper in front of dumb (Luthor) and dumber (Mace) as his lords continually make military feck ups while taking credit of the Tarly's hardwork. 

Which makes me wonder, why during the beginning of the war of the 5 kings (ie when the Tyrells were sworn to Renly), no one had tried to lure Randyll to his side? Robb Stark would have greatly appreciated having an experienced general at his side especially since he would surely come with a sizeable force at his back. Considering that the young wolf had no ambitions about the Southern part of Westeros than surely he could have easily offered Randyll the role of Lord Paramount of the Reach or even the big prize itself (the other 5 kingdoms). Stannis should have had a bigger influence on the man than the wolf pup. Both are ruthless, experienced in the art of war, sour and they were both married to a Florent. The Tyrells had betrayed the Baratheons (rightful king) two times, first when they sided with Aerys and then with Renly. If Stannis had his way that surely the Tyrells wouldn't remain as Lord Paramount. Who would be a better replacement than Randyll? Finally there is the Lannisters who were better equipped to help Randyll defect. The Lannister army are as strong as those of the Reach, they are situated close to the Reach's borders and King Joffrey had all the authority to appoint Randyll paramount of the Reach if he wanted. All that Randyll had to do was to give a couple of bad strategic suggestions to Mace which would make him lose troops (ex attack the Lannisters rather then go and play toy soldiers with Renly), than carefully backstab him when the Lannister and the Tyrell army meet in battle. Mace would have been captured, the Reach would surrender and Randyll would be appointed as Lord Paramount with Joffrey marrying Talla instead of Margaery.

What do you think?

Because Renly got there first.

"Isn't that a sweet story, my lady?" Renly asked. "I was camped at Horn Hill when Lord Tarly received his letter, and I must say, it took my breath away." He smiled at his brother. "I had never suspected you were so clever, Stannis. Were it only true, you would indeed be Robert's heir."

The Reach Lords were firmly behind Renly, even the Florents who had named one of their children after him.

Because Renly got there first.

"Isn't that a sweet story, my lady?" Renly asked. "I was camped at Horn Hill when Lord Tarly received his letter, and I must say, it took my breath away." He smiled at his brother. "I had never suspected you were so clever, Stannis. Were it only true, you would indeed be Robert's heir."

The Reach Lords were firmly behind Renly, even the Florents who had named one of their children after him.

Can you remind me what happened in that part? I confess I read the books quite a while ago so I has forgotten some parts of it

Renly did seem to be really charismatic. Perhaps Randyll was okay with following the Tyrells following Renly. Once Renly was dead, the Lannisters are the best bet, which is where the Tyrells went, so again even if Mace isn't the greatest leader, he still must be making decisions Randyll supports. 

Screw Tarly, piece of shit dad, piece of shit person

Also when the Tyrells/ and Tarly were starving Stannis out at dragonstone.......well Tarly felt Stannis would never forget and forgive that and his place in the Stannis kingdom would be small and moderate

Randyll fought for the Targaryens during the Rebellion, campaigned for Renly during the War of the Five Kings and finally declared for Joffrey and later Tommen. What did all these have in common? Mace did all these things and Randyll went along with his liege lord obediently each and every time.

Randyll fought for the Targaryens during the Rebellion, campaigned for Renly during the War of the Five Kings and finally declared for Joffrey and later Tommen. What did all these have in common? Mace did all these things and Randyll went along with his liege lord obediently each and every time.

sounds like he is pulling a William Marshal.  Obey the liege lord no matter what. You sir are the first person to ever make my hatred for Randyll go down a level.

Maybe no one actually wants him around because he's a big fat jerk? 

Its absolutely possible that you don't want him around but given that Renly, Mace and then the Lannisters gav him important commands and then a place in the small council should show that plenty of people wants him around, regardless if he was mean to some fan favorites.

Lotd Randyll's holdings are in the Reach. It would be political suicide for him to declare for another liege and against the Tyrells.. I don't see him as necessarily loyal to them, though. He may stage a coup to usurp the Tyrells, or maybe even the Iron Throne, if the situation really gets messed up, with an invasion by Dany added to Aegons's and Stannis coming back from the North.

sounds like he is pulling a William Marshal.  Obey the liege lord no matter what. You sir are the first person to ever make my hatred for Randyll go down a level.

I never said he was a good person. Just a good bannerman to Mace. The only thing that would even make me suspect him being disloyal is Mace taking credit for beating Robert at Ashford. But given he rescued Margaery from the Faith when he didn't necessarily have to, there's no reason to doubt that he wouldn't stay true to Mace next time he jumps ship.

I never said he was a good person. Just a good bannerman to Mace. The only thing that would even make me suspect him being disloyal is Mace taking credit for beating Robert at Ashford. But given he rescued Margaery from the Faith when he didn't necessarily have to, there's no reason to doubt that he wouldn't stay true to Mace next time he jumps ship.

I knew what you meant but being loyal thick or thin is a good quality. IE why I referenced William Marshal. 

II'm just saying I have never seen a side to him that I liked till now. It might just be the hard on I have for William that made the comparison click though....

II'm just saying I have never seen a side to him that I liked till now. It might just be the hard on I have for William that made the comparison click though....

What about him repairing Maidenpool? He is pretty much the only commander in the series who was trying to fix some of the carnage that had taken place in the Riverlands.

There is no way he could ever defect to Stannis. He opposed him in Roberts Rebellion. And then supported Renly knowing he was the younger brother with a false claim. He made his bed and has to lay in it as far as Stannis goes. Even if he bent to Stannis, there is no way he would ever have any position of high authority in title, lands, and overall wealth. He would still be looked at as a past traitor and cant forget that. Roberts Rebellion he could make a case for, that he was fighting for the true king, but declaring for Renly, Stannis could maybe forgive (like he has with others) but never forget, and Tarly knows it

He didn't really rescue her. The faith handed her over and he swore a vow to return her when her trial comes

Randyll did every Roose Bolton had done with the Starks prior of being offered the Lord Paramount role. They also share similar character traits (actually Randyll seem to be more ruthless than Roose although that is debatable) and they obey lords who are inferior to them. So why not try to offer the former the same deal given to the latter?

Lotd Randyll's holdings are in the Reach. It would be political suicide for him to declare for another liege and against the Tyrells.. I don't see him as necessarily loyal to them, though. He may stage a coup to usurp the Tyrells, or maybe even the Iron Throne, if the situation really gets messed up, with an invasion by Dany added to Aegons's and Stannis coming back from the North.

Same thing can be said about the Freys (the twins) and the Boltons (the Dreadfort)

Archived