How have your appliances been holding up?

Felguy

We have a Miele refrigerator/fridge  now for... I want to say 12-13 years? Still holding up as well as ever, this thing is beast.  :P  only one fridge drawer is broken (as in the plastic handle)  but that's it. 

We also have a LG washing machine for 4 years now. Holding up well. 

Well, it's been difficult since the coffee maker died, but things are finally getting back to normal. Washer and Dryer are sending out their first-choice college application,  and Dishwasher is starting intra mural basketball. Toaster oven been pretty withdrawn, but has finally gotten back into writing that novel he's always talking about.

All in all, I'd say our appliances are holding up pretty well, all things considered. Thanks for your concern!

Well, it's been difficult since the coffee maker died, but things are finally getting back to normal. Washer and Dryer are sending out their first-choice college application,  and Dishwasher is starting intra mural basketball. Toaster oven been pretty withdrawn, but has finally gotten back into writing that novel he's always talking about.

All in all, I'd say our appliances are holding up pretty well, all things considered. Thanks for your concern!

Hehehe, made me laugh though. :P

My coffee maker is new, incidentally, in your world an infant? 

My furnace shit the bed a few weeks back, but it was from 1991 so it put in its time. American Standard I believe. I took out a home warranty policy that would cover it when I bought my house a few years ago since I knew this was inevitable. Of course, when it died it was the coldest two days of the year here to date, so I went to bed warm and woke up freezing my baguettes off. Eh, shit happens.

Our LNG hot water system (tank) crapped out just after we got back from Spokane.  It had a productive 10+ years but it is now off for recycling. But we now have a new shiny instantaneous LNG version with no pilot light.  Awesome.

Funny this topic should come up, because I've recently been worried everything is going die at the same time.

I bought a high capacity front load washer and dryer from Sears (Kenmore) in 2005 or 2006.  They've run almost flawlessly since then.  The light burnt out in the dryer, I need to look up how to change it.  Everyone warned me at the time that 'everything new these days is shitty, don't expect to get 10 years from them'.  My brother has replaced his dryer twice or three times in that period, and his washer once.  However, everything electronic my SiL touches dies an early death, so I'm not sure if their stuff was crap or not.

I did a kitchen facelift in 2005 and bought a new dishwasher and fridge.  I didn't need a new dishwasher, but my mother was convinced our dishwasher leaked and wasn't worth using, so I replaced it (I think it was a 15 year old  Kitchenaid, but I can't remember) with a Miele, which I have just loooooved.  Of course, being newer it's been quieter and more energy efficient than the previous dishwasher.  Friends just got a new Bosch which looks mighty fine, super quiet and with a feature allowing you to time delay the wash.  Since electricity rates are higher during the day, that's a handy feature.

The new fridge I bought is a bottom freezer Maytag with a sliding drawer.  Since it will go in the next year or two, I assume, I'll replace it with a French door bottom freezer fridge.  The fridge has also worked flawlessly.  The only problem with it is that a plastic edge broke off one shelf, but in a spot hidden by a drawer, so no big deal.

I also got a new over the stove microwave at the same time, since the previous one, a GE, was also 15 years old.  I replaced it with a Panasonic.  Again, no problems with it at all.

And, finally, in 2009 my stove died.  It didn't owe me anything, it was 15 years old.  I replaced it with a GE Profile glass top range, and, once again, no problems.

All the appliances were medium price range, not the cheapest but definitely no where near the most expensive.  The microwave was probably the appliance in the highest expense category.  When I re-do my kitchen I'll likely replace it with a vent and buy an inexpensive counter top microwave, since I rarely cook with the microwave, just re-heat.  When I bought the first microwave I tried cooking all kinds of dishes in it, but decided I liked cooking on the stove and oven better.

Maybe I should knock on wood, it sounds like I've been pretty lucky with my appliances to date.

Funny this topic should come up, because I've recently been worried everything is going die at the same time.

I bought a high capacity front load washer and dryer from Sears (Kenmore) in 2005 or 2006.  They've run almost flawlessly since then.  The light burnt out in the dryer, I need to look up how to change it.  Everyone warned me at the time that 'everything new these days is shitty, don't expect to get 10 years from them'.  My brother has replaced his dryer twice or three times in that period, and his washer once.  However, everything electronic my SiL touches dies an early death, so I'm not sure if their stuff was crap or not.

I did a kitchen facelift in 2005 and bought a new dishwasher and fridge.  I didn't need a new dishwasher, but my mother was convinced our dishwasher leaked and wasn't worth using, so I replaced it (I think it was a 15 year old  Kitchenaid, but I can't remember) with a Miele, which I have just loooooved.  Of course, being newer it's been quieter and more energy efficient than the previous dishwasher.  Friends just got a new Bosch which looks mighty fine, super quiet and with a feature allowing you to time delay the wash.  Since electricity rates are higher during the day, that's a handy feature.

The new fridge I bought is a bottom freezer Maytag with a sliding drawer.  Since it will go in the next year or two, I assume, I'll replace it with a French door bottom freezer fridge.  The fridge has also worked flawlessly.  The only problem with it is that a plastic edge broke off one shelf, but in a spot hidden by a drawer, so no big deal.

I also got a new over the stove microwave at the same time, since the previous one, a GE, was also 15 years old.  I replaced it with a Panasonic.  Again, no problems with it at all.

And, finally, in 2009 my stove died.  It didn't owe me anything, it was 15 years old.  I replaced it with a GE Profile glass top range, and, once again, no problems.

All the appliances were medium price range, not the cheapest but definitely no where near the most expensive.  The microwave was probably the appliance is the highest expense category.  When I re-do my kitchen I'll likely replace it with a vent and buy an inexpensive counter top microwave, since I rarely cook with the microwave, just re-heat.  When I bought the first microwave I tried cooking all kinds of dishes in it, but decided I liked cooking on the stove and oven better.

Maybe I should knock on wood, it sounds like I've been pretty lucky with my appliances to date.

Wow, what a post :D  yes,  you have been quite lucky. Also Maytag, I don't know that brand... 

You should be good with that Panasonic microwave though. 

My furnace shit the bed a few weeks back, but it was from 1991 so it put in its time. American Standard I believe. I took out a home warranty policy that would cover it when I bought my house a few years ago since I knew this was inevitable. Of course, when it died it was the coldest two days of the year here to date, so I went to bed warm and woke up freezing my baguettes off. Eh, shit happens.

Got a new one now I hope? :) 

Wow, what a post :D  yes,  you have been quite lucky. Also Maytag, I don't know that brand... 

You should be good with that Panasonic microwave though. 

Maytag was a huge and well respected US appliance company founded in the late 1800s.  In the late 1980s and the 1990s, they went on an acquisition binge and then got into debt problems, and started cutting back on the quality of their products.  They used to run an ad campaign, for decades, iirc, on the loneliness of the Maytag repairman, their reputed quality allowing them to charge premium prices, but when they got into debt they decided they had to create some cheap lines to increase sales.  Bad mistake.  They were eventually acquired by Whirlpool, who wiped out their executives, board members and head office staff, and closed down numerous plants.  But the name lives on on refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, washers and dryers.

Maytag was a huge and well respected US appliance company founded in the late 1800s.  In the late 1980s and the 1990s, they went on an acquisition binge and then got into debt problems, and started cutting back on the quality of their products.  They used to run an ad campaign, for decades, iirc, on the loneliness of the Maytag repairman, their reputed quality allowing them to charge premium prices, but when they got into debt they decided they had to create some cheap lines to increase sales.  Bad mistake.  They were eventually acquired by Whirlpool, who wiped out their executives, board members and head office staff, and closed down numerous plants.  But the name lives on on refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, washers and dryers.

Hmm from what I understand Whirlpool kinda sucks.... but could be wrong.

They've recycled that old premise as well, and have applied it to a semi-creepy new ad campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr-BUV8ORTY

Hmm from what I understand Whirlpool kinda sucks.... but could be wrong.

I don't think that Whirlpool quite had the name Maytag did, but were considered to be pretty reliable.

Many of the manufacturers made lines for each other.  Kenmore appliances are made by different companies.  The business is extremely competitive, and North American manufacturers have been hit hard by Korean brands in particular. 

I remember reading a case study in the Harvard Business Review years ago about why GE moved the manufacture of microwave ovens to Korea.  The microwave oven was invented in the US, of course, with Raytheon and Litton making the first models, and then Amana (another high end appliance manufacturer, taken over, I think, by Maytag) making the first widely used home microwave ovens.  A Korean corporation (Hyundai, I think) was desperate to get more work from the US and bid on a GE microwave contract.  The GE engineer in charge of microwave ovens flew over from Louisville, headquarters of GE Appliances, to review their work, and found it a good start but inadequate, outlying the issues he had in a meeting with their engineers and set a meeting for the following quarter.  He stopped off at the plant the next day on his way to the airport, and was called into a meeting room where the entire engineering team working on the project staggered in, having worked non-stop from the day before redesigning the microwave and re-drafting blueprints so the GE engineer could take them back to Louisville.  The engineer was stunned, he knew the same work would have taken at least three months to do back in Louisville.  Shortly afterwards, GE transferred product responsibility to Korea, deciding to concentrate on white goods in Louisville.  That is, fridges, stoves, washers and dryers.  It was just a preview of things to come, though, and Appliance Park went down from a city-sized factory of 30,000 to about 8,000 employees, the last time I heard.  Could be fewer now.

I know its not technically an appliance, more of an entertainment system, but I have to give props to my PC.  Its an i7 950 at 3.07 overclocked to 4.00, 6gb ram and the only upgraded part of it - a Nvidia 780ti (from 480sli).  Its 5 years old this month and its ripping through the titles still.

Battlefront: 90-100 fps on ultra, 120+ on high

Starcraft 2: 60-90fps on max settings, eventhough  I play on low for multiplayer

I started a PC upgrade fund waaaay back when I kickstarted Star Citizen, I may just splurge that amount on a month abroad instead. 

Bought it from Overclockers.co.uk and I wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

I built the house back in 2000.  Dad saw the opportunity to unload the storage shed and gave me some old carpet and furniture he had tucked away, along with the stove he had when he built the homestead house...back in 1961.  I still have that stove.  It still works.  I also still have the microwave I bought back in the late 80's, though the clock is fried on that.  Still works, just got to remember that in its world, 45 seconds = 1 minute. 

Mom's 20 yr old Proctor Silex toaster died this week, so she got a $10 Hamilton Beach.  And I bought it on the way to the house today, so it was 50% off.  The upside of not living in an expensive neighborhood :D

Archived