How have your appliances been holding up?

Felguy

Only our washing machine and dryer have been replaced within the past 5 yrs, but everything else we have is 20+ yrs

Our refigerator (Frigidaire maybe, or GE)  this pass year it has started pissing all over the floor.  We wake most morning to a wet kitchen floor :(  (we think it is a condensation thing, not really sure as we don't have an automatic ice maker, and we have checked the little bin under it--it's not that)

We need a new one, obviously.  Maybe when we get our income tax refund (which we likely won't get since we'll probably owe money because of buying insurance on the exchange and then making more this year *sigh* )

our dishwasher also sucks.  We have to wash all the dished first, so it is kind of like "What is the point?' but I feel better running the dishes through, like they might be more germ free (probably a silly thing to think)

Of course, neither likely meet the current Energy Saving guidelines (you can add the stove and furnance/ac unit to that list as well, but those are both still functioning fine)

My appliances seem to fall into two categories - those that are holding up well & those that aren't. 

My tumble dryer is 8 years old and holding up great, but I had to buy a new iron - my old one was only bought a year ago so I'm a bit annoyed at that. All my other appliances are new so I'm going to get a good while out of them. 

I know its not technically an appliance, more of an entertainment system, but I have to give props to my PC.  Its an i7 950 at 3.07 overclocked to 4.00, 6gb ram and the only upgraded part of it - a Nvidia 780ti (from 480sli).  Its 5 years old this month and its ripping through the titles still.

Battlefront: 90-100 fps on ultra, 120+ on high

Starcraft 2: 60-90fps on max settings, eventhough  I play on low for multiplayer

I started a PC upgrade fund waaaay back when I kickstarted Star Citizen, I may just splurge that amount on a month abroad instead. 

Bought it from Overclockers.co.uk and I wouldnt hesitate to use them again.

Ahhh I love building computers myself.

I still rent so I don't own any major appliances apart from washer and dryer.  Those things are just basic run-of-the-mill GE products.  I tried out the top brand front load washer set and it was horrible so I went back to the basics.  

But I really want to talk about the best small appliance of all time.  The Vitamix blender.  I bought it with zero intent to keep it.  I figured I'd have a good blender for 30 days, then use the free return shipping to get my money back.  I mean, who the fuck would ever seriously consider spending $400+ on a blender amirite?  But a temporary deposit, sure, I would do that.

Turns out it's like made with the blood and sweat of baby angel jesus' or something.  It's the greatest thing to ever exist.  I use it everyday, often multiple times a day.  I make all sorts of smoothies, purees.  I make every type of nut butters, hummus, ice cream.  My SO is a baker and started using it as a mixer and has made all sorts of products using the blender and plans to add it to their appliance lineup asap.  Currently they are using it to knead some sort of dough. Earlier my SO used it to make the goddamned flour.

Sure, with lots of elbow grease and annoyances, you can coax any blender into doing these things.  Maybe.  The Vitamix doesn't need any coaxing.  I doubt it really even needs to be plugged in, it's like a magical beast or something.  The only drawback is that the motor is so powerful that it's sort of loud.  I actually find myself wishing I had spent an extra $100 for the upgraded model that has the extra baby angel blood sweat to create a quieter motor.  When I move, my beloved blender will remain with me at all times in case the movers 'lose' my stuff.  Don't care about anything else, just this amazing blender.  If you don't have one, your life is probably meaningless.

I still rent so I don't own any major appliances apart from washer and dryer.  Those things are just basic run-of-the-mill GE products.  I tried out the top brand front load washer set and it was horrible so I went back to the basics.  

But I really want to talk about the best small appliance of all time.  The Vitamix blender.  I bought it with zero intent to keep it.  I figured I'd have a good blender for 30 days, then use the free return shipping to get my money back.  I mean, who the fuck would ever seriously consider spending $400+ on a blender amirite?  But a temporary deposit, sure, I would do that.

Turns out it's like made with the blood and sweat of baby angel jesus' or something.  It's the greatest thing to ever exist.  I use it everyday, often multiple times a day.  I make all sorts of smoothies, purees.  I make every type of nut butters, hummus, ice cream.  My SO is a baker and started using it as a mixer and has made all sorts of products using the blender and plans to add it to their appliance lineup asap.  Currently they are using it to knead some sort of dough. Earlier my SO used it to make the goddamned flour.

Sure, with lots of elbow grease and annoyances, you can coax any blender into doing these things.  Maybe.  The Vitamix doesn't need any coaxing.  I doubt it really even needs to be plugged in, it's like a magical beast or something.  The only drawback is that the motor is so powerful that it's sort of loud.  I actually find myself wishing I had spent an extra $100 for the upgraded model that has the extra baby angel blood sweat to create a quieter motor.  When I move, my beloved blender will remain with me at all times in case the movers 'lose' my stuff.  Don't care about anything else, just this amazing blender.  If you don't have one, your life is probably meaningless.

I want that blender now :(

Archived