Don Bluth and Dragon's Lair (The Movie!)

drawkcabi

So there was a kick-starter campaign for a Dragon's Lair movie, the kick-starter has been cancelled but only to be moved to indiegogo

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/25/9800578/dragons-lair-kickstarter-indiegogo-campaign

I only played the arcade game a few times as a kid, I remember getting told by mom specifically I was not to play it...not because it was about magic and sorcery and evil stuff, but because the game cost $.50 to play as opposed to $.25 for every other game and I would be at game over in 10 seconds. It was a total waste of money to her.

But I remember watching other people play it and be amazed by it. Space Ace too. I watched the cartoons sometimes. I rented the ports for NES and SNES and while I knew they wouldn't be as good, was disappointed in how inferior they are.

But what's got me excited about this is not just the idea of Dragon's Lair being made into a movie, but of DON BLUTH returning to the world of animated film.

The Secret of NIMH is such an amazing movie, I really loved it as a kid and still as an adult. An American Tail and Land Before Time were great too. By the 90's Bluth's films seemed to get more "kiddie" and I never saw the ones like Troll in Central Park and Pebble and the Penguin.

He came back a bit when he did his Disney style film with Anastasia, then his last movie, Titan A.E. was a big bomb that ended Fox's foray into traditionally animated movies (except for The Simpsons Movie). I thought Titan A.E. was one of his better movies though.

With the news of Dragons Lair maybe becoming a movie there are several things that have me excited:

A traditionally animated movie! I love Pixar and there have been some other very good CG animated movies from other studios as well. But to see once again a movie done with hand drawn frames, and the rich colors, and style of it all...yes!

Dragon's Lair holds some nice nostalgia from my youth. It wasn't a huge part of my childhood but it was there and part of the overall backdrop of "cool" that I remember.

It's Don Bluth!!! The man has a style. Every movie he does there's something richly distinct about it. With the subject being Dragon's Lair and the way the arcade game's story played out, this should be a darker movie in the vein of NIMH. After being away for 15 years it's just exciting to think about the chance he might come back.

I don't think I can donate to the project. it's not in my budget to do so especially when I'm still leary of the idea of doing anything with kick-starter or indiegogo or anything like that. But I wish them luck in getting it off the ground and if the project comes to fruition then they have my money at the theaters!

So any other Bluth fans?

Archived