Family Screw-Ups

TimJames

There's always that one family member who somehow manages to mess everything up? Which character do you think is the Family Fuck-Up of their house?

Well, It depends from the point of view. Take the Lannisters, for example. According to Tywin, it is Tyrion, according to me it is Jaimie :)

According to that Starks, it is probably Arya, but for me it is deffinitely Sansa :)

you're definitely a SansaHater if you think that.

But if you come to think of it, it was Ned who fucked his family. And Robb too. Jon fucked the Night's Watch too

I can see Lord Tywin's ghosts haunting Cersei at night just to wail: "For the millionth fucking time: a Lannister always. Pays. His. Debts! You moron..."

Hahaha!

As to who in each family fucked up... With hindsight, lots of people in lots of families did. Ned for sure, and Robb.

What I find interesting, is dynamics within families, there seem to be these designated scapegoats/black sheep, Tyrion being the most obvious example, while it was Jaime's and Cersei's incestuous relationship (and the resulting bastards) and then Cersei's thirst for power and her paranoia that are very much the causes of the trouble the Lannisters find themselves in. Or is it all down to Tywin being such a distant, demanding father?

I cannot but think of Hoster Tully in this. The way he handled Lysa and her "problem" probably directly led to her becoming the unhinged shrew we see in ASOIAF. (As to family dynamics, Hoster calls Blackfish the black sheep of the family - he refused to do Hoster's bidding.)

I'm struggling to think who'd be the black sheep in the Tyrell family. Maybe that's because they haven't had a downfall yet. Garlan and Willas seem like decent fellows, Loras is a bit hotheaded and arrogant but not evil. Olenna (and Marg) are scheming, Mace is a grasping oaf... We'll see in TWOW.

As to the Greyjoys... Balon. If he'd let go of his own gripe and grudge and acknowledged Theon as his heir and allied with the Starks, his death wouldn't have resulted in the Kingsmoot/Euron/Victarion/etc. mess. Nothing good can come out of it. Plus Theon would still be a man and there would still be a Stark in Winterfell and... and... Oh, wait, we wouldn't have a story! :D

Stark- Cat.  Ned, Sansa & Robb's misjudgments are at least understandable

Lannister- Cersei,  She has no modicum of humanity or morality even in her own head. 

Greyjoy- Theon.  His actions transcend the bounds of morality, family and honor.. 

Baratheon-  Renly.   Likeable doesn't make a person rightful heir.   He discounted Stannis as much as Robert did, in so dividing a decent base of loyal subjects.  His actions against his brother may have caused extinction to their house.  

Tyrell-  Mace.  He allows himself to be manipulated by Cersei.    It seems that his children are born to pay for his lack of foresight.  

The Targs are a bit more complicated as there were MANY bad rulers and mean kings.   Arys was only the last in a long line. 

I think every Martell is a screw up. Even Trystane. We haven't even met the kid, but he can't even win a cyvasse game against an inbred person. What a loser. 

Myrcella! I love the glimpses we're given of Myrcella! Even back in King's Landing, she stands up for herself and Tommen against Joffrey ("We're children, we're supposed to be childish."). She doesn't cry when she's shipped off to Dorne, unlike poor Tommen. And she takes to the Dornish culture like duck to water. She likes hot, spicy Dornish food, unlike her KG sworn shield Arys Oakheart. She learns to play cyvasse and soon bests Trystane. She's one smart cookie. And doomed... :(

Clearly the Tyrell black sheep is Garth the Gross. Any problems the family has can be blamed on Garth's farts

I actually want Garth to appear in Wind of Winters.

Stark-Ned(he let his honor get the best of him)

Lannister- Cersei, She helped in the downfall of her house

Greyjoy- Theon- he made some dumb decision. 

Baratheon-  Renly- He didn't really have any love for his  own family.

Targs-I go with ether Viserys or the Mad King

Clearly the Tyrell black sheep is Garth the Gross. Any problems the family has can be blamed on Garth's farts

Excuse you, when a Tyrell farts it smells like a rose!

Plus, his farts aren't nearly as catastrophic as Baelor Hightower's. That one fart was deadly for so many people

you're definitely a SansaHater if you think that.

But if you come to think of it, it was Ned who fucked his family. And Robb too. Jon fucked the Night's Watch too

How? I don't agree that he broke any vows in the first place, but even if he did, all he did was get more man power for the watch. If anything the Watch fucked Jon.

Archived