Family Screw-Ups

TimJames

Lannister: Cersei (fucks her brother, rearms the faith militant, doesn't pay the IB etc.), Tywin (alienates Tyrion)

Stark: mostly Ned, partially Robb and a wee bit Cat

Greyjoy: Balon, (fucked up the first rebellion, was lucky on the second even though he would have lost in the long run, sends his brother away who returns to kill him)

Tully: Edmure (Not asking the king for help after the mountain raids his lands, spreads his lines thin twice!!!, red fork)

Baratheon: all 3 brothers have an equal share(robert being a drunk king cuckolded by his wife, Stannis for not supporting Ned and killing Renly, Renly for aspiring to a crown)

Martell: Doran (alienates his heiress Arianne, makes a deal with viserys and never tells him, waits for his revenge so long that now all the culprits of Elia Martells death are dead by now)

Tyrell: Mace (the guy isn't bright, claims a lot for doing practically nothing, stupid)

Cat's no Stark. Anyway, old Walder needs a mention.

Aah, Lord Walder Frey... His decision to host the Red Wedding...

His gripe all his life has been that the great houses and second-tier old houses are a bit snooty about House Frey - upstarts who only came into prominence 600 years ago when they built the bridge.

The Red Wedding ensures that everybody views them with horror and disdain. Some Lannisters, like Lancel and Devan, are compelled to marry Freys but not happy about it. "I'll wed and bed my stoat," poor Devan tells Jaime. (I have a horrible feeling LSH and BwB might try to make it Red Wedding mk 2. which is sooo bad. Revenge/vengeance is futile and wrong in  the grand scheme of things.)

The Freys are ripe for a civil war anyway. Nobody likes them and they don't even like each other. Maybe Big Walder was right and he will be the Lord of the Twins. I just want to see Lord Walder Frey see twelve sons dead before him and all and any daughters/grand-daughters/great-grand-daughters unable to get good marriages.

you're definitely a SansaHater if you think that.

But if you come to think of it, it was Ned who fucked his family. And Robb too. Jon fucked the Night's Watch too

If I am a SansaHater (which I admit I am) then you are definitely a JonHater :)

You are right, Ned fucked his family, but for me a "family screw-up" is somebody, who is not like the others, something like the black sheep of the family, the real parent/ancestor disappointment, and I made my choices based on that conception. Probably I misinterpreted the idea.

As for Jon. I try to be tolerant to haters of all kinds, esp that i am one too, but how exactly did he fuck the Watch? First of all the Night's Watch is the most fucked up instituton ever existing. A bunch of low borns and criminals of all sorts, sprinkled by some random noblemen here and there, who think they have the right to treat the others like shit. First you are forced to go there, mostly because the other option is dead, then you are forced to unite with rapists and paedophilics and all kind of human scum (like Biter), then you are forced to take some wows, being celibate among them, which makes no sence at all, since I dont see how some fucking might harm anyone (but this is probably because of the big number of rapists around :) ). To continue, you freeze like hell all the time and you are sent on very risky missions which evenchually turn out with you dying anyways while the high born assholes treat you like shit, just because they can and although you are forced to forget who you are and what you are, looks like those high born assholes never forget their origin and that they are superior to the others but nobody seems to care about that. So let's blame Jon, because this was a really perfectly running institution util he came, right?

Jon tried to do things better, and if anyone thinks letting the wildlings in was wrong, idk, probably think again.

How? I don't agree that he broke any vows in the first place, but even if he did, all he did was get more man power for the watch. If anything the Watch fucked Jon.

He chose Arya over the Watch. many black brothers had love ones too. But they didn't chose their relatives over their new brothers. Jon who was the lord commander,should be a role model too, but he made a bad choice in saving Arya and in doing so, fucked even the Wildlings. He should have thought carefully before letting that pink letter get under his skin.

He chose Arya over the Watch. many black brothers had love ones too. But they didn't chose their relatives over their new brothers. Jon who was the lord commander,should be a role model too, but he made a bad choice in saving Arya and in doing so, fucked even the Wildlings. He should have thought carefully before letting that pink letter get under his skin.

The letter said Ramsay was coming for Jon. He did it to protect the Watch as much as for Arya.

Starks : Robb (King in the North was a stupid decision)

Lannister : Cersei (Makes the worst political decisions)

Baratheon : Renly (Usurper)

Arryn : Robert (Thanks to his mother)

Tyrell : Loras (Killing Emmon Cuy and Robar Royce)

Martell : no one

Targaryen : Everyone after Aegon V except Rhaella (Incest, obsession with prophecies, pathetic decisions, madness)

Tully : Lysa

Florent : Axell

Well, It depends from the point of view. Take the Lannisters, for example. According to Tywin, it is Tyrion, according to me it is Jaimie :)

According to that Starks, it is probably Arya, but for me it is deffinitely Sansa :)

1. Lannister - All of Tywin's kids screw things up, I almost feel sorry for the old man.  But I too would go with Jaime.  At least Cersei got up to Queen, that's like going to Harvard.  
  2. Baratheons - Robert. 
  3. Targaryens - King Aerys II and Prince Rhaegar both. 
  4. Starks - Robb and Jon.  Robb had the war and throws it away for romance (it's not honor folks, it's romance).  Jon had the watch and the wildlings under control then pisses off the Boltons.
  5. Greyjoy - Theon
  6. Tyrell - Loras (Mace is just playing everyone, I think)
  7. Clegane - Gregor
  8. Frey - Merrett Frey
  9. Bolton - Ramsay
  10. Tully - Lysa
  11. Martell - Arianne
  12. The Maesters - Samwell, now that he's with them
  13. The Night Watch - Jon and Sam
  14. The Wildlings - Tormund
  15. Stannis' Court/Administration - Mellisandre
  16. Brotherhood Without Banners - Lem
  17. Faceless Men - Arya
  18. Exiled Targaryens - Viserys
  19. The Faith - Gravedigger
  20. The kingsguard - Arys Oakhear
  21. The sellswords - Daario
  22. The Wise Masters - Hizdahr

Starks: Ned and Cat, who trusted LF.

Lannisters: Cersei. Had she given birth to one Baratheon son, twincest would mean nothing. Then, of course, we have her weakening the entire realm, abusing her son, on and on.

Tyrells: No one, not yet, anyway. 

Boltons: Ramsay will bring them down, and good luck to him. 

Baratheons: Renly, by not allying with Stannis.

Martells: No one, not yet.

Arryns: Lysa, obviously.

Tullys: No one. It's out of their control.

Targs: Rhaegar, by running off with Lyanna.

1. Targaryens - King Aerys.  Lost a 300-year dynasty.
  2. Starks - Jon and Robb, for vow-breaking and letting love for a woman/girl compromise their duties to the kingdom
  3. Baratheon - Renly
  4. Lannisters - Take your pick, there's plenty to choose.  Lancel and Cersei are my picks.
  5. Greyjoys - Theon

I honestly don't think any of these families had one member who single handedly managed to screw everything up. It usually takes team work. 

But if I have to pick one... I'd say Cersei. The incest was bad enough, but most of her subsequent decisions were disastrous. Jaime and Tywin certainly have their share of blame, but she is poison.

Stark - Sansa.  Made a series of poor decisions, primarily due to youth and naivete.  Seems to be getting better, though.

Lannister - Cersei.  One bad decision after another, after another...

Greyjoy - Theon.  Also makes a long series of bad decisions.

Targaryen - Viserys.  Continually disses the guy who is going to provide his army.

Archived