The Weeper and his future

Ser Morbid

Good question.

I think, if George wants the shit to hit the fan even more, Dennys Mallister has to go. With Jon down, Cotter Pyke possibly dead at Hardhome, Thorne MIA, and Marsh being absolute shitstain, the only figure with any type of authority in the NW (and a shoo-in for next LC, if Jon croaks it) is Mallister. He could, in theory, restore some semblance of order to things, regroup, prepare the Wall for an Other attack, etc. 

Enter the Weeper. He takes the Shadow Tower, kills Mallister, and the stage is set for Mel and Selyse to call the shots at the Wall and it'll be pure, glorious chaos.

I mean, who'd be acting LC at that point? Pyp, Grenn, Satin? The cook? Edd's time to shine?

Good question.

I think, if George wants the shit to hit the fan even more, Dennys Mallister has to go. With Jon down, Cotter Pyke possibly dead at Hardhome, Thorne MIA, and Marsh being absolute shitstain, the only figure with any type of authority in the NW (and a shoo-in for next LC, if Jon croaks it) is Mallister. He could, in theory, restore some semblance of order to things, regroup, prepare the Wall for an Other attack, etc. 

Enter the Weeper. He takes the Shadow Tower, kills Mallister, and the stage is set for Mel and Selyse to call the shots at the Wall and it'll be pure, glorious chaos.

I mean, who'd be acting LC at that point? Pyp, Grenn, Satin? The cook? Edd's time to shine?

Yes.

I mean, I think I agree with you. The NW is fucked. Maybe they were even before some helpful brothers killed the LC, but they definitely are now.

I'm not sure, the weeper was certainly alluded to as someone who could make trouble and Ifeel bad for poor Ser Denys if he does, I actually liked him. However I personally think that the NW will be trying to get all these last minute defenses ready for the Weeper's attack but then it is a host of the undead that shows up with the Weeper in it's ranks. 

With the chaos at the Wall, to get to the Shadow Tower, men at CB would have to get past wildlings inhabiting the castles along the Wall. Marsh was worried about the Weeper, but gave him the opportunity he needed. If the Weeper attacks, the Shadow Tower would be less than 200 men facing an army likely five times their number or more. 

I think Jon will deal with them when he wakes up, likely challenging the Weeping Man to a duel in a parallel to Arthur Dayne vs the Smiling Knight.  

With the chaos at the Wall, to get to the Shadow Tower, men at CB would have to get past wildlings inhabiting the castles along the Wall. Marsh was worried about the Weeper, but gave him the opportunity he needed. If the Weeper attacks, the Shadow Tower would be less than 200 men facing an army likely five times their number or more. 

I think Jon will deal with them when he wakes up, likely challenging the Weeping Man to a duel in a parallel to Arthur Dayne vs the Smiling Knight.  

Ooo, that sounds a bit too... heroic.

I haven't kept up with the troops and how many and where but I've got the impression that the Shadow Tower now has more troops than it had during the earlier attacks (that Bowen Marsh & co. sort of repelled).

The Weeper is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. He's blatantly in the wrong, still fighting the wildling vs. NW/Seven Kingdoms war, whereas some wildling leaders, like Tormund, know the real threat and the real war is the white walkers, wights... the Others.

Whatever happens to Jon Snow, he will not waste time on some gung-ho wildling like the Weeper, definitely no one-on-one duel, Jon's got lots more important things to do. Jon is no Arthur Dayne. I hope he's more honourable.

Good question.

Well the cook might have Stannis' blessing... ;)

I agree that the Weeper is there to break through the Gorge and kill Denys Mallister, while Marsh and company are fighting with Jon's loyalists. Meanwhile Cotter Pyke dies at Hardhome... GRRM needs complete chaos.. and chaos is a ladder... for the others...

I know Mel isn't the most reliable source, but she doesn't think the Weeper or any wildlings will be a problem even though Mance seemed worried about him. 

"Cutting out the eyes, that's the Weeper's work.The best crow's a blind crow, he likes to say. Sometimes I think he'd like to cut out his own eyes, the way they're always watering and itching. Snow's been assuming the free folk would turn to Tormund to lead them, because that's what he would do. He liked Tormund, and the old fraud liked him too. If it's the Weeper, though...that's not good. Not for him, and not for us."

Melisandre nodded solemnly, as if she had taken his words to heart, but this Weeper did not matter. None of his free folk mattered. They were a lost people, a doomed people, destined to vanish from the earth, as the children of the forest had vanished.

- ADwD, Melisandre

Ooo, that sounds a bit too... heroic.

I haven't kept up with the troops and how many and where but I've got the impression that the Shadow Tower now has more troops than it had during the earlier attacks (that Bowen Marsh & co. sort of repelled).

The Weeper is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. He's blatantly in the wrong, still fighting the wildling vs. NW/Seven Kingdoms war, whereas some wildling leaders, like Tormund, know the real threat and the real war is the white walkers, wights... the Others.

Whatever happens to Jon Snow, he will not waste time on some gung-ho wildling like the Weeper, definitely no one-on-one duel, Jon's got lots more important things to do. Jon is no Arthur Dayne. I hope he's more honourable.

The Shadow Tower had at most 200 men in the beginning, and you have to take into account the men they lost in the Great Ranging having sent 100 men or half their strength with Mormont, and add to that the men they lost in the Battle of the Bridge of Skulls. Their numbers are I think less than a hundred men now. 

A one-on-one duel would minimize bloodshed with only one death, and Jon would want to conserve his strength to deal with the Boltons. The Weeper wouldn't want to look like a coward afraid to face a teenage boy. Besides I see the inversions.

Smiling Knight/Weeping Man

KG dressed in white/NW dressed in black

White blade Dawn/Dark blade VS Longclaw

Ulmer fighting against Dayne/Ulmer fighting with Jon

Archived