Dragons and Others and Trees, Oh My!!!

Colors of Magic

Two magic trees with  odd colors and many similarities.

1.A hive-mind\one-ness-(One Heart)Undying Trees (One Mind) Weirwood

2. A cult that worships\sacrifices to the trees.

3. Beings connected to the tree receiving extended life and visions, eventually becoming part of the One.

4. The visions\prophecy enabled from consuming the tree.(Weirpaste and Shade of Evening.)

Weir, if undisturbed will live indefinitely, as do the spirits still inside.

I think the real Undying Ones are the Trees, not the mostly dead Undying Ones. That is why Warlocks drink NightShade, to get closer to becoming a part of the Undying themselves.

White\Red (Weir) and  Black\Blue(HotU)

Black\Red (Dragons)-Fire and  Ice -(Others)Blue\White

The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.- GRRM.

The Others are Ice given Life, but no Blood, no Heart.

“In a blind panic Sam slays the Other by stabbing it with the dragonglass dagger given to him by Jon Snow[9]The dagger causes the Other to shrink and puddle, dissolving away in twenty heartbeats. Only the dagger remains.”

Ice is Blue or White.  The Wall looks like Blue Crystal when the sun is out, the Others swords glow faintly Blue.

Dragons are Fire given Flesh\Blood.

Blood can be Red or Black, Fire can be Red or Black.

Red Blood is Black in the moonlight.

Balerion and Drogon have Black flame shot through with Red, Dragons Blood is Black, as is corrupted\infected blood, Melisandre has Black Blood and In stories Demons always have Black Blood.

(White-Black) and (Red-Blue) oppose each other,  balances each other.

White Light contains all colors, Black is the absence of color.  Red and Blue are on opposite sides of the color spectrum.

A corruption of Magic is the cause of the Seasons being out of whack.

The Others, Dragons, Melisandre\R’Hllor, Weirwood, and HotU tree are magic corrupted.

Different ideas about colors:

I have thought that there were two fuels for driving magic,  Blood and Life. Use of a Sacrifice, especially self sacrifice is White Magic. Use of Blood, especially unwilling, is Black Magic. With this line of thought is that the elementals of Ice and Fire, possibly Air and Water as well, are pathways for magic, while the driving force behind is Blood and Life.

I have also thought that all four colors could represent a specific type of magic-Soul=White, Blood=Black, Fire=Red, Ice=Blue.  Meaning the colors a magical entity exhibits and uses represents the combinations of magics they use.

Ice Blue Magic-the Wall shining like a Blue crystal in the sun, the Wights eyes, the Others eyes and Swords glowing Blue.

Fire Red Magic-R’Hllor, the Red god of Flame and Shadow. Melisandre, Red Hair, Red Robes, Red Eyes.( Red could mean Blood simultaneously)

So many possibilities that  I am unsure of any absolute meanings, but I believe there is some importance in these colors and combinations.

Colors of Magic

<snip>

I have thought that there were two fuels for driving magic,  Blood and Life. Use of a Sacrifice, especially self sacrifice is White Magic. Use of Blood, especially unwilling, is Black Magic. With this line of thought is that the elementals of Ice and Fire, possibly Air and Water as well, are pathways for magic, while the driving force behind is Blood and Life.

<snip>

I believe this was a discussion in one of the more recent Heresy topics.  (Sly Wren, et al. back me up?)  I don't recall if it was before or after the "new thread" and don't recall in which thread I read it in... but I'd love to reference it.

More or less, the discussion was comparing Valyrian Steel and Dawn.  Valyrian Steel (which likely uses human sacrifice and/or blood in some way) is dark magic, and therefore black, while Dawn involved some sort of self-sacrifice/virtuous sacrifice and resulted in a white blade. 

As for the other two elements, how do you propose that Earth fits into this scheme?  Wouldn't Ice and Water be the same element, or do you feel they somehow differ from one another in the series?

I know we were talking about a willing sacrifice creating Dawn, and VS steel using unwilling blood and fire, binding these peoples essence to the boards but it in different ways. This was one of the Jon as Sword of Morning threads. 

As for water and air, I just used as examples of other elemental type of magics. I focus on Ice and Fire as the elementals in use because its the Title dichotomy of A Song of Ice and Fire. Of all the actual Magic we have seen, the Magic of the Wall, the Others, Dragons, the Trees, Rh'llor, Faceless Men, they all seem to have these colors in common. As for any other magic out there I am unsure about its existence.

I am also entirely unsure how it all fits together, but like the two magics of Black and White being the force behind all magic, the Only example of White magic is Dawn the Lightbringers Forging, when it was pulled White hot from the forge and thrust through Nissa's willing breast. 

All other magics have Black in their coloring.

HotU- Black trunk, Weir-Black Ravens, Others- Wights\Black Hands, Dragons- Black Blood, Mel-Black Blood, Valyrian Steel- dark,smoky, black blade.

Dawn-White, Shimmery llght playing along the Blade.

Colors of Magic

Two magic trees with  odd colors and many similarities.

1.A hive-mind\one-ness-(One Heart)Undying Trees (One Mind) Weirwood

2. A cult that worships\sacrifices to the trees.

3. Beings connected to the tree receiving extended life and visions, eventually becoming part of the One.

4. The visions\prophecy enabled from consuming the tree.(Weirpaste and Shade of Evening.)

Weir, if undisturbed will live indefinitely, as do the spirits still inside.

I think the real Undying Ones are the Trees, not the mostly dead Undying Ones. That is why Warlocks drink NightShade, to get closer to becoming a part of the Undying themselves.

White\Red (Weir) and  Black\Blue(HotU)

Black\Red (Dragons)-Fire and  Ice -(Others)Blue\White

The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.- GRRM.

The Others are Ice given Life, but no Blood, no Heart.

“In a blind panic Sam slays the Other by stabbing it with the dragonglass dagger given to him by Jon Snow[9]The dagger causes the Other to shrink and puddle, dissolving away in twenty heartbeats. Only the dagger remains.”

Ice is Blue or White.  The Wall looks like Blue Crystal when the sun is out, the Others swords glow faintly Blue.

Dragons are Fire given Flesh\Blood.

Blood can be Red or Black, Fire can be Red or Black.

Red Blood is Black in the moonlight.

Balerion and Drogon have Black flame shot through with Red, Dragons Blood is Black, as is corrupted\infected blood, Melisandre has Black Blood and In stories Demons always have Black Blood.

(White-Black) and (Red-Blue) oppose each other,  balances each other.

White Light contains all colors, Black is the absence of color.  Red and Blue are on opposite sides of the color spectrum.

A corruption of Magic is the cause of the Seasons being out of whack.

The Others, Dragons, Melisandre\R’Hllor, Weirwood, and HotU tree are magic corrupted.

I have also thought that all four colors could represent a specific type of magic-Soul=White, Blood=Black, Fire=Red, Ice=Blue.  Meaning the colors a magical entity exhibits and uses represents the combinations of magics they use.

Ice Blue Magic-the Wall shining like a Blue crystal in the sun, the Wights eyes, the Others eyes and Swords glowing Blue.

Fire Red Magic-R’Hllor, the Red god of Flame and Shadow. Melisandre, Red Hair, Red Robes, Red Eyes.( Red could mean Blood simultaneously)

So many possibilities that  I am unsure of any absolute meanings, but I believe there is some importance in these colors and combinations.

I disagree.  Dragons were reptiles just minding their own business until the Valyrians domesticated them, as man is prone to do, and used them.  They are not a corruption of anything. 

The Others are just a different form of life and not necessarily corrupted.  They're delicate and can only exist under the right conditions.  They possess powerful magic such as necromancy and resurrection.  Powerful stuff, what any man would want as the keys to immortality.  But like superman, they are weak to something normal and relatively harmless.  They can't tolerate warm weather, just like superman can't take kryptonite.  They  can't survive outside their frozen temperatures any more than vampires can survive outside of the dark/the night. 

The corruption is resurrection of humans and skin-changing.  Green seeing is corruption and a perverse use of magic to spy on people's dreams.  Corruption is the choice of man.

Dragons were used in a corrupt way to bind them with people is what I mean, not that they are inherently bad, just like the skin changing experiments evidence in Bloodravens cave of Wolf, Bear, Giant and Human skulls.

The Others are the biggest stretch tying to a Black Magic\ Black Color with the Wight hands being black.

I don't necessarily think the Others are bad.  I actually believe the stories of the Long Night\Others from Nan's tales represent the Children of the Forest.

AGoT Bran IV -"Old Nan nodded. "In that darkness, the Others came for the first time," she said as her needles went click click click. "They were cold things, dead things, that hated iron and fire and the touch of the sun, and every creature with hot blood in its veins." The CotF use no metal, and we don't see Leaf appear until after night has fallen.  

ADWD Bran II- "The last light had vanished from amongst the trees by then. Night had fallen. Coldhands was hacking and cutting at the circle of dead men that surrounded him."  Its not until the next page that Leaf appears from the cave, so it seems they only come out at night.

The tale of the Rat Cook i think represents the Evil Hive minded Tree they worship\use. A cook punished for breaking guest right transformed into a  Giant White Rat( white rats always have Red eyes) that can only consume its own young, Children of the Forest, bound in the roots feeding the Tree.  

The Old Gods hold Guest Right Sacred while Kinslaying and Incest are offensive. Weirs cant be the old gods if Bloodraven represents them, he broke Guest Right, was a kinslayer a couple of times and had an incestuous relrelationship with his half-sister. I think the Trees are a collective consciousness from all the creatures ever bound to the tree, their consciousness lives forever in the tree, as evidenced by the Raven that Bran feeels a long dead singers presence in.

Weirwood Paste:

It had a bitter taste, though not so bitter as acorn paste. The first spoonful was the hardest to get down. He almost retched it right back up. The second tasted better. The third was almost sweet. The rest he spooned up eagerly. Why had he thought that it was bitter? It tasted of honey, of new-fallen snow, of pepper and cinnamon and the last kiss his mother ever gave him. The empty bowl slipped from his fingers and clattered on the cavern floor. (Dance with Dragons 482)

Shade of the Evening:

Dany raised the glass to her lips. The first sip tasted like ink and spoiled meat, foul, but when she swallowed it seemed to come to life within her. She could feel tendrils spreading through her chest, like fingers of fire coiling around her heart, and on her tongue was a taste like honey and anise and cream, like mother’s milk and Drogo’s seed, like red meat and hot blood and molten gold. It was all the tastes she had ever known, and none of them . . . and then the glass was empty. (Clash of King 678)

Your are welcome.

I disagree.  Dragons were reptiles just minding their own business until the Valyrians domesticated them, as man is prone to do, and used them.  They are not a corruption of anything. 

Dragons are not innocent reptiles but creatures of magic - fire made flesh

Weirwood Paste:

It had a bitter taste, though not so bitter as acorn paste. The first spoonful was the hardest to get down. He almost retched it right back up. The second tasted better. The third was almost sweet. The rest he spooned up eagerly. Why had he thought that it was bitter? It tasted of honey, of new-fallen snow, of pepper and cinnamon and the last kiss his mother ever gave him. The empty bowl slipped from his fingers and clattered on the cavern floor. (Dance with Dragons 482)

Shade of the Evening:

Dany raised the glass to her lips. The first sip tasted like ink and spoiled meat, foul, but when she swallowed it seemed to come to life within her. She could feel tendrils spreading through her chest, like fingers of fire coiling around her heart, and on her tongue was a taste like honey and anise and cream, like mother’s milk and Drogo’s seed, like red meat and hot blood and molten gold. It was all the tastes she had ever known, and none of them . . . and then the glass was empty. (Clash of King 678)

Your are welcome.

Thank you, I need to include more direct references. There is plenty of text from the books that I need to put in as evidence rather than just my assertions and thoughts on what it means. 

Archived