Creepy PMs

Myshkin

I guess the fl00b loves this board so much they're afraid of getting banned or something.  Doesn't say much for the intestinal fortitude of the younger generation. 

Kids these days just don't have that sense of adventure that made us so great. If we wanted to push the boundaries, by god we did so! Threats of permaban be damned. That's the spirit that led us to our greatest moments. NHAW, the great board identity theft craze, Sandor and Gregor might be brothers, the We Didn't Start the Flame War, cryptozoorotica. None of these things would have been possible had we given in to our fear of the jack-booted mods. Today's board youth will never know the freedom we enjoyed, all because they fail to dare.

If I remember correctly, the great board identity theft was the Be Another Boarder Week, where a bunch of posters signed up and were assigned each other's names at random. They then changed usernames and avatars to either mimic or (gently?) satirize their assigned board member and spent a week posting in that person's style. Good fun! 

IIRC the Identity Theft week was different from Be Another Boarder, and was just an impromptu version of same - someone (Trisk?) started a thread to complain how he'd had his identity thieved, and Jaime L immediately changed his display name to some variant of Trisk's in order to loudly decry the shameful practice of identity thieving. Cue much copycatting and a week or so of related shenanigans.

I mainly only remember this cos I was still stuck as EnlightenmentMD when EHK died. :( 

IIRC the Identity Theft week was different from Be Another Boarder, and was just an impromptu version of same - someone (Trisk?) started a thread to complain how he'd had his identity thieved, and Jaime L immediately changed his display name to some variant of Trisk's in order to loudly decry the shameful practice of identity thieving. Cue much copycatting and a week or so of related shenanigans.

I mainly only remember this cos I was still stuck as EnlightenmentMD when EHK died. :( 

It was Myshkin who was the ID theft victim. Well, fairly certain it was. 

I was Zakalwe for Be Another Boarder week, which I spent constantly threatening to get my cock out and avoiding all peanuts*

*except those in Chunky Monkey ice cream.

I was 0sRavan, and good lord was it fun...

It was Myshkin who was the ID theft victim. Well, fairly certain it was. 

as I recall it, mysh started a thread lamenting that he really was the victim of an identity theft for real, as in non-board life, at which time jaime L. adopted his board trade dress and mannerisms to mock him in his own identity theft thread.  fairly certain it descended from there to general melee.

I remember when I first found out that creepy PMs were a thing and I was really surprised (although in retrospect, I suppose I shouldn't have been) since I never received any. It was a lady boarder who told me, and she said she got indecent proposals via PM at least weekly.

On the one hand, I feel left out that no one wants to proposition me. On the other hand, if I wanted to have semi-anonymous internet sex I'd go back to Tinder.

I was looking through an old UK Politics thread just before the "upgrade" and I was temporarily baffled as to why I was stridently demanding free whisky and copies of the Morning Star at government creches. Then I remembered.

Archived