Alien: Covenant

AncalagonTheBlack

Ridley Scott: 'Alien: Covenant' Is First of 3 Films Before Linking Up With Original 'Alien'

Ridley Scott confirmed that he is planning another two Prometheus sequels to follow Alien: Covenant before the Prometheus storyline meets up with the original 1979 Alien.

Alien: Covenant and the following two films will be origin stories, answering the “very basic questions posed in Alien: why the alien, who might have made it and where did it come from?” Scott revealed at a press conference in Sydney where he is starting pre-production on Covenant, the first sequel to Prometheus.

Alien: Covenant will shoot at Sydney’s Fox Studios from March with Michael Fassbender to reprise his Prometheus role as the synthetic David. Other casting hasn’t been confirmed, although Scott did say that Prometheus 1 star Noomi Rapace will only appear briefly in Covenant

It seems to be a different story every time he's interviewed. I honestly can't keep track of what's a Prometheus sequel or an Alien film. Could this be a case of "interview boredom" where after several hours of being asked the same question the interviewee makes shit up?

It almost seems like he's turning this into a new trilogy just so Neil Blomkamp won't be able to bring his Alien movie to the big screen at all.

It's entirely possible. Although I'm not sure why he's that bothered about sequel films given Cameron's already done so. Then again if I was Ridley Scott and had seen "elysium" and/or "Chappie" I'd probably try and block Blomkamp's alien film too (even though it looks like he's trying to be faithful to the first two films).

Yeah, not sure I agree what Fox is doing... will the Blomkamp movie be one of the trilogy, or will it be like an "alternate universe" ?

I mean, if Alien 5 is actually just a follow up of 1 and 2, and if Scott's trilogy opens new doors we'll be having quite a lot of alternatives on our hands...

Then, it's possible that Alien 5/3 ends up being the second movie in the trilogy, but unlikely, since Scott wants to bridge the gap between Prometheus and Alien... so yeah, all in all, quite the confusing news !

It seems to be a different story every time he's interviewed. I honestly can't keep track of what's a Prometheus sequel or an Alien film. 

Well... it seems it's set after Prometheus and before Alien.

So, is it a Prometheus sequel or an Alien prequel? Tomayto, tomahto. (That works so much better spoken than written)

• 2 months later...

Demian Bichir Joins Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien: Covenant’

EXCLUSIVE: Demian Bichir has been set by Ridley Scott to join the cast of Fox’s Alien: Covenant, the sequel to the Scott-directed Prometheus. Bichir will join Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston and Danny McBride.

On 29/11/2015 at 9:50 PM, AndrewJ said:

Well... it seems it's set after Prometheus and before Alien.

So, is it a Prometheus sequel or an Alien prequel? Tomayto, tomahto. (That works so much better spoken than written)

I suspect Ridly Scott gets bored about being asked about it rather than the actual film he's trying to promote so it could be a bit of that too. Plus, with internet news things are reported instantly. I'd still rather he/the studio settles on a title and what it's going to be about. It could be that they just keep changing the title but I'm pretty sure the sequel was going to be about about Rapace and Fassbender going to the Builder's planet, right?

2 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I thought Noomi Rapace wasn't returning? Is she back on now? So confusing.

My understanding is she'll be back for a couple scenes depicting her and David's arrival on the planet. But the bulk of the movie is supposed to take place years later when more humans arrive, and she's already dead. 

I was really excited about Blomkamp's Alien. He looks like a lifelong fan of a franchise and one who might have had some ideas what to do with it for years. Surely he would at least approach the project with great enthusiasm and care, since this would also be his biggest film to date and critical for his further career.

Scott, on the other hand, looks like he is making movies not because he has something new to say, but simply because he can.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

My understanding is she'll be back for a couple scenes depicting her and David's arrival on the planet. But the bulk of the movie is supposed to take place years later when more humans arrive, and she's already dead. 

That sounds pretty cool. Be nice to see her and David for a little bit. 

• 9 months later...

It's Time To Run Because The Xenomorphs Are Back On First Poster For ALIEN: COVENANT and a new release date

Originally set to be released next October before being moved forward to August, Alien: Covenant is now going to be with us even earlier than expected: May 19th . That's confirmed on the amazing poster below, and we can probably expect a trailer to follow before the year is over now this has been released.

Poster - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cx-4QQ8UAAAvZSX.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm. As far as I can tell, Ridley Scott's original plan had been for either two or three sequels to PROMETHEUS. The first would pick up immediately after PROMETHEUS with David and Shaw as the main characters and follow them to the Engineer homeworld and what happened there. Then the next film (or films) would tie more directly the events of PROMETHEUS to ALIEN. This prequel cycle would end with us finding out why that Engineer ship was on LV-426 at the start of ALIEN.

From the look of it, 20th Century Fox decided that they didn't really want to make PROMETHEUS II, nuked it, and asked for a film much more closely tied to the existing ALIEN mythos. So it looks like they're now doing the second of those films instead.

So in this film it looks like David and Shaw have reached the Engineer homeworld, discovered it's been destroyed by the black goo stuff, and sent a distress signal. The Covenant is sent to the planet under the cover of a colonisation mission but it's really a rescue mission. I suspect that only the other David-class android, Walter, knows the real mission. Of course, it all goes horribly wrong when they reach the planet and get infected by the black goo as well. I suspect Shaw is either dead or maybe in hibernation, and will only briefly appear in flashback, a recording or maybe only at the end in person.

If COVENANT is a success, presumably they can make one more movie which acts as an immediate prequel to ALIEN, or they'll drop that idea and roll into the Neil Blomkamp ALIEN 5 project instead.

Based on Blomkamp's ALIEN 5 artwork, it looks like the plot revolves around the Company recovering an Engineer ship and salvaging its technology, so it may require Scott's prequel series to be finished first so as not to clash with the new canon.

Archived