Alien: Covenant

AncalagonTheBlack

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm tempted to avoid these as the teaser material for Prometheus fooled me into thinking we were going to get a great film. Maybe it's better to go into Covenant with low expectations.

It's nothing near as good or hope raising as the TED speak. That was really well done.

This feels like a deleted scene where you get to meet the crew before they go to cryo sleep. Not "speak into the cameras" testimonials or some stupid gimick. Just a scene that probably created pacing issues in the final film and was cut.

My comment from the other thread about the trailer.

My expectations jumped in the first 5 seconds then dropped heavily after that. The initial idea of a colonisation mission is a good one (thought it would be the colony from Aliens at first) , but then everything else seems to be a standard rehash of everything Aliens, including a poor mans Ripley.

From the trailer I can already tell this is going to be a frustrating watch for me. I hate how "we are a ship of couples" seems to be an excuse for "we are utterly inept". They trudge around that alien planet without any sense of worry or concern for themselves or the environment. Unless this is deliberate and they are trying to capture that "don't give a fuck" sense of colonialism or it's just going to be stupid. Do Alien eggs emit a pheromone that makes people stare at them open-mouthed without any sense of fear? Because this is the second time we've had such a scene if we include prometheus.

I guess I might at least be cheering on the inevitable death of the dumb when that segment of the film hits.

26 minutes ago, red snow said:

From the trailer I can already tell this is going to be a frustrating watch for me. I hate how "we are a ship of couples" seems to be an excuse for "we are utterly inept". They trudge around that alien planet without any sense of worry or concern for themselves or the environment. Unless this is deliberate and they are trying to capture that "don't give a fuck" sense of colonialism or it's just going to be stupid. Do Alien eggs emit a pheromone that makes people stare at them open-mouthed without any sense of fear? Because this is the second time we've had such a scene if we include prometheus.

I guess I might at least be cheering on the inevitable death of the dumb when that segment of the film hits.

Lol, I was trying to forget the last movie, please don't remind me.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Yes, much like the the geologist with the map-making drones ends up being the one getting lost in Prometheus.

Though more than anything, I fear this movie's editing and plot cohesiveness which is the biggest gripe I have with Prometheus.

Eh, it didn't show me anything else I wasn't expecting. It's an Alien film so I was expecting all the trappings that come along with that. I'm more intereted in seeing if it can tell a decent story about the origins and actions of the engineers etc. It'll win bonus points if it makes Prometheus make more sense.

10 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Is there any real connection to the end of Prometheus? I was kind of reserving judgement on that movie thinking a sequel might fix it. But this doesn't look like it's going to do that 

Yes, several - though we don't entirely know what.

In the trailer you can see mummified Engineers in a ruined city or something. There are rumors that

Spoiler

The new version of Daniel, Walter, knows that it is a rescue mission to save Daniel and Shaw - everyone else thinks it's a colonization mission. 

I personally am skeptical that it's going to get into much of anything. My understanding is that they nuked one of the bridge movies that was going to explain more between this one and Prometheus so they could get right into the xenomorphy goodness, and if we do have any answers it'll be in flashback modes.

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, much like the the geologist with the map-making drones ends up being the one getting lost in Prometheus.

Though more than anything, I fear this movie's editing and plot cohesiveness which is the biggest gripe I have with Prometheus.

There's a weird slapstick enjoyment from watching people being stupid. Regardless of Prometheus' faults I will always love its existence for the brilliant scene of Charlize Theron trying to outrun a rolling ship by running in its trajectory rather than choose another, easier direction.

14 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yes, several - though we don't entirely know what.

In the trailer you can see mummified Engineers in a ruined city or something. There are rumors that

Hide contents

The new version of Daniel, Walter, knows that it is a rescue mission to save Daniel and Shaw - everyone else thinks it's a colonization mission. 

I personally am skeptical that it's going to get into much of anything. My understanding is that they nuked one of the bridge movies that was going to explain more between this one and Prometheus so they could get right into the xenomorphy goodness, and if we do have any answers it'll be in flashback modes.

If thats true it completely sucks. What I would really like is a movie set in the Aliens universe which isn't just a slasher movie with Xenomorphs in it. That so tired now.

At least Aliens was something else, it was basically a 'Nam movie in space. Thats why I loved it as a kid. Even Alien 3 was interesting on some level. You can do so many things here, but instead they just fall back on the elements that made the first movie work. 

3 hours ago, generalzod said:

Good point--if you think about the first 3 films:

1 Haunted House movie

2 War movie

3 Prison movie

There's a lot of untapped genres to explore in the Alienverse.

4. Romantic Comedy a la "When Harry Met Facehugger"

5. Christopher Guest-esque mockumentary

6. Western... actually, I kinda want to see this one

Anyways, I remain "cautiously interested" in this despite it looking like nothing more than a rehash/mashup of Alien and Prometheus. I mean, I'll be happy if it's competent and makes sense plot-wise, but there's this underlying feeling I get that the franchise just... doesn't know where to go or what it wants to be, aside from a perpetual profit machine. At least Prometheus was an interesting, kind of new idea and direction (execution aside), but this just looks like someone said "People like the aliens, so we should give them more of that."

I know I'm still going to see it. Probably in theaters too, because I am a shill.

9 hours ago, Durckad said:

4. Romantic Comedy a la "When Harry Met Facehugger"

5. Christopher Guest-esque mockumentary

6. Western... actually, I kinda want to see this one

Anyways, I remain "cautiously interested" in this despite it looking like nothing more than a rehash/mashup of Alien and Prometheus. I mean, I'll be happy if it's competent and makes sense plot-wise, but there's this underlying feeling I get that the franchise just... doesn't know where to go or what it wants to be, aside from a perpetual profit machine. At least Prometheus was an interesting, kind of new idea and direction (execution aside), but this just looks like someone said "People like the aliens, so we should give them more of that."

I know I'm still going to see it. Probably in theaters too, because I am a shill.

so in essence,this could be the episode VII of the alien franchise in the sense they are giving fans "what they want" after a flawed prequel that tired to be different?

they could also do "lost camera footage" as a style too.

Archived