Alien: Covenant

AncalagonTheBlack

I suppose while Alien3 (which doesn't exist) is not a badly made film, I still hate it (or I would if it existed). And yeah, I'd probably watch Prometheus again. Because I just watched Prometheus yesterday and... it's very silly in many areas where I'm sure it was supposed to be riveting and horrifying. But it was somewhat entertaining for that if nothing else. It did seem like there were ways is which, if they wanted certain scenes to play out in a certain way, they could have come up with better reasons for why they HAD to be that way. 

Funny thing is this; my copy came from the library, and the only reference to the Alien franchise on the case was that Ridley Scott had directed the first Alien (also Blade Runner) and was "returning to his sci-fi roots." Unless there was some sticker or slipcase with the purchased copy that said it was an Alien prequel or revealed secrets or any of that, nothing links this to Alien behind the director's resumé. 

Interesting major rumour doing the rounds that might make things more interesting:

Apparently David - who's gone mental since the end of Prometheus - took all of the spores/black goo/other stuff from Prometheus and found a way of synthesising it to create the aliens we are familiar with, with the same lifecycle. The aliens in Covenant are effectively prototypes of the final version we are familiar with.

With on the one hand is interesting and turning David in a villain is a good way of going, but it does seem a bit odd given that the Engineer ship in Alien had apprently been on LV-426 for decades or centuries (at least) and going by this information it can't have been more than about 15 years. Hmm.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interesting major rumour doing the rounds that might make things more interesting:

Hide contents

Apparently David - who's gone mental since the end of Prometheus - took all of the spores/black goo/other stuff from Prometheus and found a way of synthesising it to create the aliens we are familiar with, with the same lifecycle. The aliens in Covenant are effectively prototypes of the final version we are familiar with.

With on the one hand is interesting and turning David in a villain is a good way of going, but it does seem a bit odd given that the Engineer ship in Alien had apprently been on LV-426 for decades or centuries (at least) and going by this information it can't have been more than about 15 years. Hmm.

I expect andoids to be evil though. And I haven't even tried to work out a timeline for these prequels because I just don't think it will work out to make sense.

That said, I think I may end up going to see this after all. Even though I know I'll be pissed off about it afterwards and want to smack myself in the face.

The timeline seems to be roughly:

2093 Prometheus

2103 Alien: Covenant *

2103 - 2122 Probably another Scott film +

2122 Alien

2179 Aliens

2179 Alien3

2381 Alien: Resurrection

Alien 5?

* I'm not sure where the date for Covenant comes from (I found it on a different less specific site) so that may well be shaky.

+ He said back in 2012 that there may need to be another film to bridge the gap between Prometheus' sequel and Alien.

https://alientimeline.wordpress.com/

Oh, were Aliens and Alien3 in the same year? I thought there was some aimless drifting aournd in space between the two. Though I have to say I've not sat and watched them all 'properly' for a long while.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Oh, were Aliens and Alien3 in the same year? I thought there was some aimless drifting aournd in space between the two. Though I have to say I've not sat and watched them all 'properly' for a long while.

It takes them three weeks to get to the colony in Aliens, and in Alien3 the rescue ship takes a week to get to Fiorina, so they're roughly halfway home.

If Alien 5 happens, it will strike Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection from canon. However, it looks like it won't happen, at least not for a while. It's been suggested that Scott was unhappy with the excitement over the Alien 5 announcement contrasted with the kicking Prometheus got, so he stepped up the Prometheus sequels. Apparently the follow-up to Covenant is already written.

23 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Is Neil Blomkamp still attached to Alien 5?

I guess technically? But he's said it probably won't happen. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/alien-5-alien-covenant-sigourney-weaver-ripley-release-date-is-it-happening-neill-blomkamp-ridley-a7542936.html

• 1 month later...

The tragedy of leaving the Prometheus storyline behind is that, even if it didn't have great execution, it had injected a sense of meaningfulness and purpose into the franchise, like there was a cosmic mystery to figure out that went to the core of who we were.  And the ending was VERY promising, with a pissed off Ripley Jr. survivor type speeding to confront the goliaths, suss out their agenda and throw a wrench in it.  Then they drop the ball on that?  Which returns us to alien movies there's no reason to see.    Just idiots getting face hugged pointlessly, like how sex scenes get blamed for being "gratuitous" because they don't add anything to the narrative.  Prometheus had alien gruesomeness as its backdrop, but was fascinating because of the intrigue between humans, androids, engineers, secret ceo agendas, two-faced engineer betrayal of us (implying some past human betrayal of the engineers?).    And the ending made me say ooooh, we're going places now!   ......apparently not.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

two-faced engineer betrayal of us (implying some past human betrayal of the engineers?).    And the ending made me say ooooh, we're going places now!   ......apparently not.

I always thought the engineer from the opening was going against his people's wishes when it created life on Earth. Hence the title. So most of the Engineers probably never wanted humanity to exist. 

If I recall correctly, the hints about a human betrayal of the Engineers that Mother of Others refers to was the remnants of an abandoned plot that would have stated that Jesus was an Engineer attempting to elevate human culture. And the crucifiction was the betrayal.

I'm so glad they didn't go there.

Didn't  have to be that.  Too on the nose.   But they did visit all our ancient civilizations without dropping off any bioweapons, and the actual prometheus guy couldn't have inspired that worldwide art craze on account of being composted, so others were on oard with peacefully shepherding us.  Then.....something.    Maybe a Buddha mind can sneak past the goo without weaponizing it, and this allowed a human to mess around in the engineers' woodshed, tinkering and turning the bioweapon back on its creators??   (Who did seem surprised in Prometheus when their science attacked them.)    

Just fumbling with the puzzle pieces.

Archived