Alien: Covenant

AncalagonTheBlack

On 26/04/2017 at 11:45 PM, Corvinus said:

20th Century Fox released a prologue, showing Shaw and David.

Is this going to be in the actual film? I don't like the idea of not including stuff relevant to the story in the actual movie and having to piece it together from various online snippets. 

I also watched a video that spoiled something I hadn't heard about before now which surprised me

David apparently kills the Engineers with the black goo when he and Shaw arrive on their home planet?

That surprised me and it will be a damn shame if it means we don't learn anything more about the Engineers. That was part of Prometheus that interested me, even if I don't think the concept was really explored very well in the end product. I'd rather see more about the Engineers 

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Then Scott better make sure Covenant and the next one are the shit, otherwise the rest of his career won't happen. :angry2:

He's 80 years old though, these will probably be last films.

This can be seen in the prologue video,ish:

Spoiler

As David opens the hatch, above him are thousands of the goo canisters from Prometheus, dangling precariously above him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2017 at 7:36 PM, Corvinus said:

Then Scott better make sure Covenant and the next one are the shit, otherwise the rest of his career won't happen. :angry2:

I think at this stage in his career he probably doesn't worry too much about the rest of it. I doubt he's going to look back in a week's time and say "I wonder what could have been if only prometheus and Covenant hadn't sucked". With the exeption of "the martian" I'd say his career hasn't happened since Black hawk down - everything since then has been a mxture of solid or bad.

On 02/05/2017 at 10:32 AM, Isis said:

I am still on the fence about paying money to see this film after Prometheus... I know that if it sucks the disappointment will be crushing.

Especially now we have Prometheus as a reference we can only blame ourselves if covenant turns out badly. The self loathing will be immense. Yet still the urge remains to watch it at the cinema. A rewatch of Prometheus at the weekend may help.

The good news is that none of the screen/writers involved in Prometheus are involved in Covenant which can only be a good thing as all of my problems with Prometheus are in the story assuming Ridley didn't stomp all over it.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

Especially now we have Prometheus as a reference we can only blame ourselves if covenant turns out badly. The self loathing will be immense. Yet still the urge remains to watch it at the cinema. A rewatch of Prometheus at the weekend may help.

The good news is that none of the screen/writers involved in Prometheus are involved in Covenant which can only be a good thing as all of my problems with Prometheus are in the story assuming Ridley didn't stomp all over it.

Yeah. I'm still anxiously undecided.

15 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Most troubling thing is......  

would you "attach" Danny McBride to your movie if you really felt you had something and your franchise was going somewhere and Danny was the impact player you wanted for the project to be taken seriously?  Or would you bring that guy in to make a shit movie slightly more bearable?

I don't know if I take it more seriously but I'm pumped Kenny Powers is in it. I might be slightly more likely to see it so I guess I'm who they were trying to attract.

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't know if I take it more seriously but I'm pumped Kenny Powers is in it. I might be slightly more likely to see it so I guess I'm who they were trying to attract.

He might be one of the few characters I don't want to die but only if he's playing his usually arrogant role

27 minutes ago, red snow said:

He might be one of the few characters I don't want to die but only if he's playing his usually arrogant role

I don't think Danny McBride is capable of playing anything but. I'd be disappointed as hell if he didn't play his usual self.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I think it would be a nice twist if he turned out to be the main character, not the short-haired woman. All the previews suggest that his character will at least make it part way of the movie, maybe even close to the end, but it would be cool if he survived.

On 12/05/2017 at 6:03 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't think Danny McBride is capable of playing anything but. I'd be disappointed as hell if he didn't play his usual self.

A lot of reviews single him out as a highlight surprisingly.

Managed to hold of from seeing the film for a week so far. Glad I have as no one I know who has seen it has had anything better to say about it than "it's about the same as Prometheus" - even if they liked Prometheus that's enough for me to wait/not bother.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

A lot of reviews single him out as a highlight surprisingly.

Managed to hold of from seeing the film for a week so far. Glad I have as no one I know who has seen it has had anything better to say about it than "it's about the same as Prometheus" - even if they liked Prometheus that's enough for me to wait/not bother.

What he is good at is enough for me, if he's this films Private Hudson I'm satisfied.  

I'm not overly interested either.  

I quite liked it, it was like a better, more cohesive version of Prometheus.  Sad thing is for the franchise the horror aspects of Alien aren't particularly effective any more.  The audience knows what is going to happen.  They wisely sort of downplayed it for this movie and went with a more... gothic style I suppose one might call it.  Much more like a Wells or Lovecraft type story.

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. It did have its problems though. The themes were heavy handed, and the plot was extremely predictable. This was made up for with some of the best cinematography ever, a fantastic score, and absolutely stellar acting. Danny McBride was shockingly good in this movie. Who knew he had range? I feel like my money was well spent seeing this on the big screen. 

Full disclosure though, I enjoyed Prometheus more. I know that people have torn that movie to shreds, but I thought that it was beautifully done and was worth watching despite poor character choices in the movie.

Speaking of poor character choices, here is a couple that I had for this film.

1. Thousands upon thousands of dead Engineers are lying all over the place, and no one asks about this? No one is even curious who and what they were?

2. People have just been slaughtered by aliens and you are trapped on a hostile planet. That seems like a great time to separate from everyone and go wash up?

3. You know what I like to do within minutes of returning home after all of my friends are brutally murdered by extra terrestrial beings? Shower sex...

Archived