Alien: Covenant

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

In other words, the first 45 minutes of covenant minus the stupid religious stuff and New Zealand mountainscape taken to a conclusion that isn't fucking moronic.

Yup. The worst part of Covenant is that it started off reasonably well. That the middle portion is mindblowingly stupid and the last third is bizarrely uninteresting and lazy just makes me even sadder about how optimistic I was when I started viewing the movie.

I think the Aliens concept is dead. It has been since Aliens basically. Its been copied and rehashed by a million other movies and there is zero mystery in the xenomorph at all. Scott has over explained everything to the point of making it completely lifeless.

What Scott could have done, and what I thought he was going to do, was really explore the themes of life and creation, and make a movie about the engineers, those who created us. But he didn't really bother with that, he tee'd it up, introduced the engineers, but then forgot about them, made them uninteresting template alien men on a templated alien world. That for me was the biggest kick in the teeth from Covenant, how much is wiped its arse with the Engineer/Creation story in order to just pump out another shower chase scene. 

On 04/08/2017 at 8:58 AM, Pony Queen Jace said:

I know how to make a great Alien movie...

A bunch of peeps land on a planet for basically any reason, over the course of a short exploration of what is not Washington terrain absent animal noises somebody gets sick.

People panic, quarantine procedures are broken due to accidents or emotional responses. A dudes chest (or back, that was cool) explodes and an alien is loose on the ship/compound/lander.

Somebody or somebodies survive by outwitting outlasting and outplaying the xenomorph, but what really seperates them from the pack is an intangible survival instinct that matches the creature's murderous sophistication.

We just saved the franchise folks.

In other words, the first 45 minutes of covenant minus the stupid religious stuff and New Zealand mountainscape taken to a conclusion that isn't fucking moronic.

You forgot the "robot turns out to be evil/good" factor.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

You forgot the "robot turns out to be evil/good" factor.

I'd watch another one of these movies just to see The Android David get killed by one of his creations and then never come back in another Alien film. 

On 06/08/2017 at 8:49 AM, Summer Bass said:

I'd watch another one of these movies just to see The Android David get killed by one of his creations and then never come back in another Alien film. 

Yeah - it was a good call they decided to roll back his production model.

40 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Given how much I disliked Prometheus, I decided to skip this sequel.

Well if you really hate Prometheus, you may like the way Covenant treats it. For me it retroactively made Prometheus worse/pointless so it was added value in the sense I got a mediocre film that made a bad one worse.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Well if you really hate Prometheus, you may like the way Covenant treats it. For me it retroactively made Prometheus worse/pointless so it was added value in the sense I got a mediocre film that made a bad one worse.

I dislike Prometheus because of the bad plot pacing and editing, and stupid character actions. I found the premise interesting. So I dislike Covenant both because it has much of the same problems Prometheus has, and because they decided to shit on that premise... 'cause Aliens are kewl, and we need more of them.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Why could Ridley Scott and company have skipped the whole chariots of the gods nonsense  and just did a prequel to the 79 film which is what it was supposed to be?  

3 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Why could Ridley Scott and company have skipped the whole chariots of the gods nonsense  and just did a prequel to the 79 film which is what it was supposed to be?  

Just speculating, but I bet Fox probably wasn't too keen on the idea of a big budget franchise film with no human characters. 

52 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Just speculating, but I bet Fox probably wasn't too keen on the idea of a big budget franchise film with no human characters. 

Yes, that might have been a very   hard sell to audiences, Perhaps skipping the prequel entirely and leaving tit a mystery would have been far better choice? 

18 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I dislike Prometheus because of the bad plot pacing and editing, and stupid character actions. I found the premise interesting. So I dislike Covenant both because it has much of the same problems Prometheus has, and because they decided to shit on that premise... 'cause Aliens are kewl, and we need more of them.

I think this is why I disliked Prometheus' treatment in Covenant. As you say, the concept had potential but the execution was poor. So shitting all over the concept did make Prometheus feel worse and certainly more pointless.

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yet oddly Covenant seemed to be testing the water by having dull characters and spending most of the time focusing on robots. They also need to realise that having a ripley stand-in does not make the character interesting. Although they are slighlty more interesting if you pretend they are Ripley.

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

War of the Planet of the Apes almost manages that, and works well when its doing it. Its when it brings humans back into it that it loses interest.

I can imagine an Aliens vs Predator movie with no humans and no dialogue. It could be incredible.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I can imagine an Aliens vs Predator movie with no humans and no dialogue. It could be incredible.

Directed by Winding-refn as he's not a fan of dialogue anyhow. Awards would be won.

13 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

War of the Planet of the Apes almost manages that, and works well when its doing it. Its when it brings humans back into it that it loses interest.

Somehow I just don't think that will work .:mellow:

• 3 months later...

I finally watched this film because it was available to view on my flight home from the US. I had zero expectations - other than expecting to find it unbearably awful.

I actually thought that if you consider it as a standalone movie it was ok. If you generously consider it as an homage to Alien/Aliens (the repeated motifs, the set pieces, the music) it was even better.

Fassbender did a good job of acting like an android, albeit a multi-faceted android. I especially enjoyed the flute playing sequence. My favourite scene with him was when the mini xenomorph emerges and does this humanoid stance with its 'arms' in the air, mirroring David's stance - that was JUST SO CUTE. A bit like the orc-birthing scene in The Two Towers when Saruman gets this misty-eyed look. 

The 'hey, why not look into this weird-looking alien egg thing, it's completely harmless' moment is absolutely hilarious. It's almost taking the piss out of itself. See also, 'hey, this planet seems like a really nice habitable place, so let's just wander around breathing the atmosphere without ANY precautions against microbial pathogens'. It's farcical that any biologist would do that. So, therefore, it's just impossible to take the film seriously. I mean, if they wanted to I am sure the writers could have found a way to make this super evolved, terrifyingly clever pathogen beat the humans even though they took the necessary safety precautions. The fact that they chose not to surely means that the film is not to be taken seriously.

I thought that thematically it was a very simple idea, laid out very clearly in the prologue and then executed in a predictable and satisfying way. What you expect to happen..does happen. In that way it is satisfying your expectations.

I give it 6.5/10.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I actually thought that if you consider it as a standalone movie it was ok. If you generously consider it as an homage to Alien/Aliens (the repeated motifs, the set pieces, the music) it was even better.

Haha, yes I can imagine the movie works reasonably well if you think about it like that. However , the fact that you need to imagine a reality in which the movie was a homage and not a tired rip-off of the originals shows just how bad it was.

• 1 month later...

Archived